An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Orders Should I Look At?

Julie

From the FB page of the Dominican Friars-Central Province - but it might help you make up your mind...

Edited by Luigi

veritasluxmea

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

I'm in the Los Angeles area, so San Jose is also a bit far. I've visited a few convents, but never really as a come and see type thing. I grew up with Fransiscans, Sisters of the Pius Schools, and Sisters of the Sacred Heart, and we'd visit the older sisters in the convents or go over to help with yard work and things. 

I did go to a "Day of Recollection" with active Norbertines about a week ago.

All those experiences made me more sure of the religious life, but none were quite the right fit. 

If you've tried all the orders in your area and are still looking, you're going to have to bite the bullet and travel to visit orders in other states. Do you have a job? Purchase the plane tickets now. Look at vocation retreats in the spring- the Dominicans Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have one in February and April. They will pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Same with the Nashville Domincians (they have a retreat this March) and Carmelite Sisters in Los Angeles (also will have a retreat this spring, but since you live in LA you won't have to fly to visit them. Just email and say you're interested in attending a vocation retreat). So the good news is you only have to worry about the plane tickets since they'll give you a ride and you'll be staying with them. And if you register soon they'll have spots available. Look up retreats, contact them, and go for it. 

Please consider the Apostles of the Sacred Heart, where my daughter is a pre-postulant.  I just love these sisters.  Smart, well-rounded women, very nice modern habit and broad apostolate.  There motherhouse and novitiate is in CT (and it is beautiful)  but they have many missions all over the country.

If you've tried all the orders in your area and are still looking, you're going to have to bite the bullet and travel to visit orders in other states. Do you have a job? Purchase the plane tickets now. Look at vocation retreats in the spring- the Dominicans Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have one in February and April. They will pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Same with the Nashville Domincians (they have a retreat this March) and Carmelite Sisters in Los Angeles (also will have a retreat this spring, but since you live in LA you won't have to fly to visit them. Just email and say you're interested in attending a vocation retreat). So the good news is you only have to worry about the plane tickets since they'll give you a ride and you'll be staying with them. And if you register soon they'll have spots available. Look up retreats, contact them, and go for it. 

A lot of people have been suggesting the Nashville Dominicans- and their retreat is during my Christmas break.  I think I'll give them a call.

You can write/speak to the Daughters of Charity, to discern if you want to be with the poors or not. They have an Advent Online Discernement Retreat on december 6-10, and a come and see in January, February and March : http://daughters-of-charity.com/retreats/ 

I highly recommend their retreats, especially those starting off in discernment.  You are paired with a sister that you are in touch with each day