dominicansoul Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 that's better. they should have used his image for the "not Christianity" part
bardegaulois Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 The above do what they do in the name of Islam; the below do not do what the do in the name of Christianity (perhaps with a few exceptions, for for them Christianity generally means some very fragmented version of evangelical Protestantism).
HisChildForever Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 14 minutes ago, bardegaulois said: The above do what they do in the name of Islam; the below do not do what the do in the name of Christianity (perhaps with a few exceptions, for for them Christianity generally means some very fragmented version of evangelical Protestantism). I agree with this. So many people make erroneous comparisons. It would make more sense if the comparison involved an individual who killed in the name of Jesus. Just because a murderer was raised in a Chrisrian household, that doesn't necessarily mean he committed his evil BECAUSE of those beliefs.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 Some of the Republican candidates are fairly decent people. I do not think I agree with any of them on everything, but there are several there whose efforts are, in my opinion sincere, as is their Christianity. You guys could do far worse than a few of them.
Gabriela Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 So when we killed Muslims and Jews in the name of Christ, were we "doing Christianity"? I think it's a good meme. It draws attention to the fact that you can't define a whole religion by one individual or group. Unless you're defining it by Christ, in which case—well, it's the exception that makes the rule.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 24 minutes ago, Gabriela said: So when we killed Muslims and Jews in the name of Christ, were we "doing Christianity"? Depends on the context. The crusades were certainly not all bad.
Gabriela Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 13 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said: Depends on the context. The crusades were certainly not all bad. No, but wasn't the killing of non-believers just because they wouldn't convert?
Guest Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 (edited) 3 minutes ago, Gabriela said: No, but wasn't the killing of non-believers just because they wouldn't convert? That's pretty bad. WWJD? Not that. He would rap though Edited November 24, 2015 by Guest
Nihil Obstat Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 28 minutes ago, Gabriela said: No, but wasn't the killing of non-believers just because they wouldn't convert? Sure. But I do not think such a practice has ever been widespread. Jews and Muslims and other pagans have been mistreated in the past, yes. I am sure forced conversions have happened. But I am not sure 'we' ever really did that on a sustained and comprehensive level.
Guest Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 Is there any estimates on how many have been killed because they wouldn't convert to Catholicism?
Era Might Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 Would you take religion advice from any of those politicians? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Guest Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 1 minute ago, Era Might said: Would you take religion advice from any of those politicians? I sure as hell wouldn't. Hell no.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 6 minutes ago, Era Might said: Would you take religion advice from any of those politicians? I sure as hell wouldn't. No. But I would not go to you either. I usually go to priests for religious advice.
Era Might Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 (edited) 8 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said: No. But I would not go to you either. I usually go to priests for religious advice. That's fine, but I never claimed to be a sincere Christian, nor do I think I am different from ISIS because I am "respectable" or "decent." Jesus was not respectable, he was a blasphemous glutton and drunkard who opposed himself to Caesar as king. Edited November 24, 2015 by Era Might
Peace Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 (edited) 2 hours ago, dominicansoul said: that's better. they should have used his image for the "not Christianity" part LOL. I thought that he was Muslim? 4 minutes ago, Era Might said: Jesus was not respectable, he was a blasphemous glutton and drunkard who opposed himself to Caesar as king. Uh. I dunno about all that bro. You been listening to Jesus Seminar or something? Edited November 24, 2015 by Peace
Era Might Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 (edited) 9 minutes ago, Peace said: Uh. I dunno about all that bro. I don't mean literally, but that as far as the state and religious establishment was concerned, he was. By which I mean to say, being "decent" in the eyes of the world hides a whole lot that only prophets are able to denounce. The "respectable" view of Christian society, used to create a common enemy in Muslims, is pretty facile...we live in a country where respectable white Christians used to lynch black people, violently subjugate them, attack them with dogs, beat them with clubs, systematically prevent them from a place in the political system, etc. Of course, that's not the WHOLE story about America or Christianity, but neither is ISIS the whole story of Islam or Muslim societies. The fact is that terrorism and violence is a pretty much universal human trait, and religion (whether it's Christianity or Islam) is used to prop it up and hide its contradictions by integrating it into an ideology of society. By "ideology" I don't mean just beliefs, but ideology in the philosophical sense, as a way of using ideas to maintain a social structure and material reality. When it comes to ideology, Christ can kill Muslims just as easily as Muhammad can kill Christians, and history proves that 10 times over, notably in the Christian west's imperial/colonial adventures. Edited November 24, 2015 by Era Might
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now