An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are Your Thoughts On This Meme?

The above do what they do in the name of Islam; the below do not do what the do in the name of Christianity (perhaps with a few exceptions, for for them Christianity generally means some very fragmented version of evangelical Protestantism).

HisChildForever
14 minutes ago, bardegaulois said:

The above do what they do in the name of Islam; the below do not do what the do in the name of Christianity (perhaps with a few exceptions, for for them Christianity generally means some very fragmented version of evangelical Protestantism).

I agree with this. So many people make erroneous comparisons. It would make more sense if the comparison involved an individual who killed in the name of Jesus. Just because a murderer was raised in a Chrisrian household, that doesn't necessarily mean he committed his evil BECAUSE of those beliefs.

Some of the Republican candidates are fairly decent people. I do not think I agree with any of them on everything, but there are several there whose efforts are, in my opinion sincere, as is their Christianity. You guys could do far worse than a few of them.

So when we killed Muslims and Jews in the name of Christ, were we "doing Christianity"?

I think it's a good meme. It draws attention to the fact that you can't define a whole religion by one individual or group. Unless you're defining it by Christ, in which case—well, it's the exception that makes the rule.

24 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

So when we killed Muslims and Jews in the name of Christ, were we "doing Christianity"?

Depends on the context. The crusades were certainly not all bad.

13 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Depends on the context. The crusades were certainly not all bad.

No, but wasn't the killing of non-believers just because they wouldn't convert?

3 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

That's pretty bad. WWJD? Not that. He would rap though

FB_IMG_1445606663107.jpg

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Gabriela said:

Sure. But I do not think such a practice has ever been widespread. Jews and Muslims and other pagans have been mistreated in the past, yes. I am sure forced conversions have happened. But I am not sure 'we' ever really did that on a sustained and comprehensive level.