An Old School Catholic Message Board

Native Americans On Christopher Columbus

13 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Josh I think you too can benefit from the experience of having rash judgment and prejudices be proven wrong. I look forward to providing this service to you in the future. 

That's fine. I read the whole thread including your post. I've always been open to learning since I came to Phatmass. I've learned alot. Although I won't be forced to believe something just because that's the way it is. I posted the article of the 2 black guys who murdered the white blond pregnant pastors wife. I know evil is everywhere. It doesn't discriminate on race. Jesus called Peter Satan. I've been made well aware how worthless I've been for God a good deal of my life. To hate your brother in your thoughts makes you a murderer. Been guilty of that more then once. I was just posting a video of what some of the Indians thought of the situation. I'm 34 and just hearing now the other side. That's my fault. And even if they would of told the whole story in high school I wasn't in class. And when I was I  wasn't paying attention. I was an/am?) idiot like that. Prayers accepted.

Edited by Guest

Here are a couple of points to consider.

First, can Christopher Columbus be held accountable for his actions in the 15th century, by 21st century standards?  I don't think so.  There were societal and cultural differences, as well as moral understandings which were different in his time than we know of today.  So, it's like discrediting Thomas Jefferson as being a great leader in American history, because he owned slaves.  To apply today's standards to the 14th century is patently unfair and it is fallacious.

Second, much of what Columbus was accused of was proven to be false.  Going back in history, it wasn't Columbus who committed the majority of the 21st century atrocities, but others.  And those atrocities have been applied to Columbus, posthumously.

Am I saying that Columbus was a saint?  Not for me to say.  The Church hasn't declared him one yet, but to judge him based upon 21st century standards for things he did 523 years ago is asinine.  Apply the standards of the 15th century and then judge him.  But that begs the question, who are we to judge him?

With regard to the Knights of Columbus, if you don't like them, don't support them.  If you do, then do.  I am a member of the State Council in Iowa, and I can tell you that the work we do is wholly and completely Catholic.  If not, I would be gone in about 10 seconds flat.  EOS.

2 hours ago, Cam42 said:

Here are a couple of points to consider.

First, can Christopher Columbus be held accountable for his actions in the 15th century, by 21st century standards?  I don't think so.  There were societal and cultural differences, as well as moral understandings which were different in his time than we know of today.  So, it's like discrediting Thomas Jefferson as being a great leader in American history, because he owned slaves.  To apply today's standards to the 14th century is patently unfair and it is fallacious.

Second, much of what Columbus was accused of was proven to be false.  Going back in history, it wasn't Columbus who committed the majority of the 21st century atrocities, but others.  And those atrocities have been applied to Columbus, posthumously.

Am I saying that Columbus was a saint?  Not for me to say.  The Church hasn't declared him one yet, but to judge him based upon 21st century standards for things he did 523 years ago is asinine.  Apply the standards of the 15th century and then judge him.  But that begs the question, who are we to judge him?

With regard to the Knights of Columbus, if you don't like them, don't support them.  If you do, then do.  I am a member of the State Council in Iowa, and I can tell you that the work we do is wholly and completely Catholic.  If not, I would be gone in about 10 seconds flat.  EOS.

The flip side of that is we don't have to celebrate him by the standards of another era. Like all heroes, he is a symbol of the hero-makers rather than being a man from history. If he is assigned the guilt of what came after him, he is also assigned the glory...but of course, he had nothing to do with the countries that would later claim him as a symbol.