An Old School Catholic Message Board

Native Americans On Christopher Columbus

dominicansoul

There is alot of pillaging, rape and slaughtering going on in 2015 by world leaders...

but let's concentrate on some dead guy from the 1400s...

KnightofChrist
10 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Is this a genuine question or are you just sitting on some links that will "prove" the mass rape and pillaging that occurred under his nose is just a bunch of p-c liberal propaganda taught by people who hate America? Is this question just setting up for a lesson? It's a genuine question to you on my part.

Are you also willing to consider that the Knights of Columbus made a pretty big error in honoring the guy? That perhaps they were a little bit racist, superior, and/or indifferent to the sufferings of natives? Because if you can't consider that than a discussion is not really worth having is it?

You make it very hard to respond with charity, but I will not respond in kind. It was a genuine question. I'd like to see evidence of the crimes/sins of him or his men because I haven't seen it, and I haven't seen it because I unaware of any. He and his men raped and pillaged? I do not deny that I just am unaware.

Edited by KnightofChrist

6 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

You make it very hard to respond with charity, but I will not respond in kind. It was a genuine question. I'd like to see evidence of the crimes/sins of him or his men because I haven't seen it, and I haven't seen it because I unaware of any. He and his men raped and pillaged? I do not deny that I just am unaware.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It was wrong of me to make assumptions. Forgive me. I just found it hard to believe you have never come across that Columbus was pretty much an awful human being.

here's a quick link http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/14/8-myths-and-atrocities-about-christopher-columbus-and-columbus-day-151653 .

KnightofChrist
1 minute ago, Ice_nine said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It was wrong of me to make assumptions. Forgive me. I just found it hard to believe you have never come across that Columbus was pretty much an awful human being.

here's a quick link http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/14/8-myths-and-atrocities-about-christopher-columbus-and-columbus-day-151653 .

It's ok. But I try my best to be a student of history, I can't know everything about every individual. Thank you for the link, while I was waiting for it I googled "crimes of Columbus." I agree he was not a good man. Also I've never been a big fan of the Knights of Columbus since they allow pro-aborts in the ranks.

3 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

It's ok. But I try my best to be a student of history, I can't know everything about every individual. Thank you for the link, while I was waiting for it I googled "crimes of Columbus." I agree he was not a good man. Also I've never been a big fan of the Knights of Columbus since they allow pro-aborts in the ranks.

Hmm, didn't know that.

Sorry for being kind of an arse.

You're not a bad guy. I don't care what Dust says behind your back. You're alright.

SaintOfVirtue
9 hours ago, Josh said:

https://youtu.be/fYTXRDtYzYc

There is brief cursing in this. Didn't catch it the first time.

No way these people are this emotional about Columbus (who lived some 500 years ago making them at least 17 generations removed from the events). 

KnightofChrist
4 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Hmm, didn't know that.

Sorry for being kind of an arse.

You're not a bad guy. I don't care what Dust says behind your back. You're alright.

I don't know I saw the last part and made a deep evil laugh. lol

8 minutes ago, SaintOfVirtue said:

No way these people are this emotional about Columbus (who lived some 500 years ago making them at least 17 generations removed from the events). 

If you're living on the rez and you see the poverty, alcoholism, and disenfranchisement of your people, and you see Columbus as the one who initiated all of this and you also see people celebrating him, you might get a little emotional. And it's not even like anyone was openly weeping or nothing.

I think your comment was pretty ignorant dude.

SaintOfVirtue
2 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

If you're living on the rez and you see the poverty, alcoholism, and disenfranchisement of your people, and you see Columbus as the one who initiated all of this and you also see people celebrating him, you might get a little emotional. And it's not even like anyone was openly weeping or nothing.

I think your comment was pretty ignorant dude.

I lived right next to a "rez" for a long time, and I think it's irrational to blame Columbus for present day problems.

Just now, SaintOfVirtue said:

I lived right next to a "rez" for a long time, and I think it's irrational to blame Columbus for present day problems.

right next to is different than in but OK you're allowed to have your opinion. And you're allowed to tell people they shouldn't be emotional, and I'm allowed to tell you I think doing that is ignorant.

yay ~*freedom*~

56 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Are you also willing to consider that the Knights of Columbus made a pretty big error in honoring the guy? That perhaps they were a little bit racist, superior, and/or indifferent to the sufferings of natives? Because if you can't consider that than a discussion is not really worth having is it?

Way to libel the Knights of Columbus. Three cheers for you. If you think the Knights of Columbus chose their name to honor Columbus, that's ignorant. 

Lets learn our own peoples history before spouting off on their sins, shall we?  Or how about we google first, at least, before running people down. Shall we try that? The Google?

SaintOfVirtue

No one keeps them in there. They can get up in leave if they want.  All I'm saying is that blaming Columbus for present day reservations is like blaming Hitler for ISIS: no matter how bad a person Hitler actually was ISIS is not his fault and to blame him for it distracts from the real problems and creates new ones (particularly one of dialogue).

2 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Way to libel the Knights of Columbus. Three cheers for you. If you think the Knights of Columbus chose their name to honor Columbus, that's ignorant. 

Lets learn our own peoples history before spouting off on their sins, shall we?  Or how about we google first, at least, before running people down. Shall we try that? The Google?

ummm http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1929666,00.html

" It led the Knights of Columbus, an organization with a largely Italian, Roman Catholic membership, to lobby heavily for states and the Federal Government to make Columbus Day official."

Why are you so quick to accuse people of libel/slander/defamation? Is that how you get your fix? dang

Unless of course you don't think lobbying gov't for a holiday that honors Columbus as  . . . honoring Columbus.

6 minutes ago, SaintOfVirtue said:

No one keeps them in there. They can get up in leave if they want.  All I'm saying is that blaming Columbus for present day reservations is like blaming Hitler for ISIS: no matter how bad a person Hitler actually was ISIS is not his fault and to blame him for it distracts from the real problems and creates new ones (particularly one of dialogue).

I think it's more what Columbus represents than Columbus himself that makes people emotional.

And your analogy is flawed. I don't see how Hitler can be connected to ISIS, but I think he can be "blamed" for the ideology behind the KKK and other racial supremacist groups.

Anyway we'll have to agree to disagree.

SaintOfVirtue
7 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

And your analogy is flawed.

lol, a minute ago you didn't know what an Argument from Analogy was, and now you play the card against me.

1 minute ago, Ice_nine said:

ummm http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1929666,00.html

" It led the Knights of Columbus, an organization with a largely Italian, Roman Catholic membership, to lobby heavily for states and the Federal Government to make Columbus Day official."

Why are you so quick to accuse people of libel/slander/defamation? Is that how you get your fix? dang

Nice try, that's them lobbying for Columbus Day.

Look up why they named themselves Columbus. Use those crack research skills kids have nowadays. 

Lets see. So I'm the one whose "quick to accuse," right? But you accused the Knights of Columbus of choosing their name because they were founded by racist bigots. You were completely ignorant of the actual reason why they chose their name. But that didn't stop you from busting out the  "racist" slur, confident that any group of mostly white Europeans must be at least vaguely racist - so why not.

You need to do some research before accusing people of racism. that's a serious charge. You seem to accuse people of being racist a LOT. is that how you get your fix?