An Old School Catholic Message Board

Native Americans On Christopher Columbus

1 hour ago, CatherineM said:

I should add that real racial oppression started after the Civil War. It was also started because of money. Fear that poor blacks would steal white jobs. A lot of our societal angst seems to revolve around fear someone is going to take our jobs. 

It could also be I shouldn't post at 4am when I can't sleep. 

Hmm. I think that a fear that blacks will steal "white jobs" is what one would normally call racism.

But putting that aside, I think that what you have written here is incorrect. All of the states had severe racial restrictions against free blacks, much earlier than the civil war. For example:

http://slavenorth.com/pennrace.htm

Let us not make light of our dark past.

SaintOfVirtue
12 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

well, SOV, I didn't know what that term meant off the top of my head (although I got it when you explained), but I do know a good analogy and a bad one. Maybe "argument from analogy" is synonymous with "bad analogy" idk. And didn't you even admit that that particular logical fallacy didn't really apply to that meme?
Either way if you wanted to make the point that you're smarter than me, don't feel too good about yourself. I'm kind of a moron.

I was remarking on the irony of the situation which I found to be humorous. I was not trying to appear smarter than you or lord some trivial (and rather useless) knowledge over you.  I was just having a laugh at the situation. 

[Not to hijack this thread but I said I was having trouble making a syllogism of the meme.  This doesn't mean that the fallacy is not there, it just means that either I'm not as good as I thought I was at reducing things to syllogism, or the meme is not a proper syllogism which would be a whole other class of fallacy. For those of you just tuning in and interested read this: Meme thread]  

12 hours ago, Peace said:

Ad hominem?

It was a bad analogy, regardless of what she knew a minute ago.

It wasn't meant as a personal attack, and yes Hitler analogies are almost always bad.

HisChildForever

While it's important to have a clear understanding of the past, I think instead of arguing over how bloody it was we should focus on how we can transform the idea of Thanksgiving into an opportunity to foster true harmony, peace, and respect.

48 minutes ago, HisChildForever said:

While it's important to have a clear understanding of the past, I think instead of arguing over how bloody it was we should focus on how we can transform the idea of Thanksgiving into an opportunity to foster true harmony, peace, and respect.

Yes ! When we comemorate the end of WW2, it is not a time to hate on germans and to point on them telling "YOU ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOUR ANCESTORS DID." Instead, it's a time when we look on the past, and hope to built a world in unity and peace, together, german and other nations. We can do the same here, 

9 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

Well, Lilla I have become emotionally upset by this thread. It's my fault really, I've vowed to not become emotionally invested in internet debates but I couldn't help feel that your attacks were a little too personal. I don't know whether this emotional defeat makes you feel good, bad, or utterly indifferent. I also can't help but feel it was your goal to take me down a few notches. Hope I'm wrong. I'm pretty beat down already so it's not really worth hanging on your fridge.

Oh, chin up now. Most of us can stand to be taken down a few notches - especially folks who feel very sure about how the world works. If you feel emotionally upset, think how upsetting it would be to have a silly white chick spread it around that you might be a racist.

Now, I'm not accusing you of deliberate malice.  I understand you don't feel like calling people racist is a big deal. But in our society, being publicly accused of racism can have serious, permanent repercussions. It's not a victim-less crime to tag an innocent person or organization with that label.  I wish you would not play so fast and loose with others reputations. You need to at least do a google search before you do that. Don't assume you know how things went down just because you know the skin color of the people involved.

Happy Thanksgiving, please don't be upset. It's not worth it. I'm spending my Thanksgiving with a dog. If my dog only barks at Asian women, is my dog racist? Is my dog a misogynist? Oh my gosh I'm sharing a bed with a racist misogynist! Help!!

Credo in Deum

To celebrate diversity I will be having both white and dark meat today when I eat my turkey.  I will then mix them in mashed potatoes, which represents love, since they make all things delicious.  Then comes the gravy because gravy boats matter.  

Wait a minute...

I just realized something...

You Americans have thanks giving in November?!

That's just weird.  Why don't you have it in October like the rest of the world?

44 minutes ago, Didacus said:

Wait a minute...

I just realized something...

You Americans have thanks giving in November?!

That's just weird.  Why don't you have it in October like the rest of the world?

Umm.........Thanksgiving is only celebrated in Canada and USA, nowhere else :)

19 minutes ago, darcy15 said:

Umm.........Thanksgiving is only celebrated in Canada and USA, nowhere else :)

Doesn't that make Canada the rest of the world then?

9 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Oh, chin up now. Most of us can stand to be taken down a few notches - especially folks who feel very sure about how the world works. If you feel emotionally upset, think how upsetting it would be to have a silly white chick spread it around that you might be a racist.

Now, I'm not accusing you of deliberate malice.  I understand you don't feel like calling people racist is a big deal. But in our society, being publicly accused of racism can have serious, permanent repercussions. It's not a victim-less crime to tag an innocent person or organization with that label.  I wish you would not play so fast and loose with others reputations. You need to at least do a google search before you do that. Don't assume you know how things went down just because you know the skin color of the people involved.

Happy Thanksgiving, please don't be upset. It's not worth it. I'm spending my Thanksgiving with a dog. If my dog only barks at Asian women, is my dog racist? Is my dog a misogynist? Oh my gosh I'm sharing a bed with a racist misogynist! Help!!

I think your boyfriend being a cop and you defending the racist p.o.s. cop who just murdered a black teen has something to do with how you see things.  

8 hours ago, Credo in Deum said:

To celebrate diversity I will be having both white and dark meat today when I eat my turkey.  I will then mix them in mashed potatoes, which represents love, since they make all things delicious.  Then comes the gravy because gravy boats matter.  

"Gravy boats" remind me of the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

Which brings this discussion full-circle back to Columbus.

Which is an unpleasant topic upon which to reflect on Thanksgiving Day. 

Thanks 

for

ruining

my 

whole

day 

you inconsiderate and probably racist, classist, Chauvinist, capitalist, well-fed, traditionalist 

8 hours ago, Josh said:

I think your boyfriend being a cop and you defending the racist p.o.s. cop who just murdered a black teen has something to do with how you see things.  

Josh I think you too can benefit from the experience of having rash judgment and prejudices be proven wrong. I look forward to providing this service to you in the future.