An Old School Catholic Message Board

Burnings at the Stake

HisChildForever

And black people aren't slaves anymore. Don't forget that. We have that going for us. Although that probably disappoints some Christians and they consider it a negative.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Josh said:

And black people aren't slaves anymore. Don't forget that. We have that going for us. Although that probably disappoints some Christians and they consider it a negative.

Josh, you often seems very negative or desperate with christianity. To be honest with you (and I hope I don't hurt you, it's not my goal), it is not a behaviour that will help you to grow in a relationship with Christ and His church. I know that sometimes other christians are unbearable. I come from an atheist family that I love very much, and hearing the judgement of some christians on atheist often broke my heart. Last night, a friend told me she spoke with a catholic who did not believe in the holocaust. It brokes my heart - AND it makes me angry. But we should not cultivate these feelings - of course, we should condemn when other christians have horrible belief and behaviour, and we should even fight them. But please, it would be so much better for your peace of heart if you tried to cultivate a more positive approach to christianity, other christians and the history of christianity - speaking of slavery, you can read about St Peter Claver who was a missionary to the slaves. And try to don't read "super-traditionnalist" website who often have a negative attitude with the Church and the Pope - seriously, it will change your life. And I'm telling you this because I have been down this road and I have so much peace in my heart since I don't focus on the negative. 

I hope you don't mind this little comment. May the peace of Christ be with you. 

NB : Father Augustus Tolton was the first american slave ordained priest. Now his diocese want to canonize him. How great ! Here's a website about him : http://www.toltoncanonization.org/ 

On 11/29/2015, 6:42:23, PhuturePriest said:

And this is not to say today the president's car or jet is not worth more than you or I? Don't labor under the delusion that modern man is far superior and advanced than man 800 years ago. In some ways, we have better practices than that era. In others, however, we have unfortunately devolved. Each age for a culture has both good and bad practices.

Don't forget that we systematically kill thousands of unborn children every day with government funding, something "Medieval" Kings of old would find absolutely barbaric. We still kill convicts, we still torture prisoners, and we still have a never-ending war with Islam. All we have going for us is worse architecture and fashion and deadlier weapons. We don't even know what gender a person is anymore. I'd hardly call ourselves superior, all things considered.

15 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Josh, you often seems very negative or desperate with christianity. To be honest with you (and I hope I don't hurt you, it's not my goal), it is not a behaviour that will help you to grow in a relationship with Christ and His church. I know that sometimes other christians are unbearable. I come from an atheist family that I love very much, and hearing the judgement of some christians on atheist often broke my heart. Last night, a friend told me she spoke with a catholic who did not believe in the holocaust. It brokes my heart - AND it makes me angry. But we should not cultivate these feelings - of course, we should condemn when other christians have horrible belief and behaviour, and we should even fight them. But please, it would be so much better for your peace of heart if you tried to cultivate a more positive approach to christianity, other christians and the history of christianity - speaking of slavery, you can read about St Peter Claver who was a missionary to the slaves. And try to don't read "super-traditionnalist" website who often have a negative attitude with the Church and the Pope - seriously, it will change your life. And I'm telling you this because I have been down this road and I have so much peace in my heart since I don't focus on the negative. 

I hope you don't mind this little comment. May the peace of Christ be with you. 

NB : Father Augustus Tolton was the first american slave ordained priest. Now his diocese want to canonize him. How great ! Here's a website about him : http://www.toltoncanonization.org/ 

This post deserves a spot in the Phatmass Hall of Fame (it is scandalous that we don't have one). Not because it called out Josh in particular (absolutely nothing against you here, Josh), but for how charitably, humbly, and productively it addressed him.

This is how Christian "correction" should be done.

10,000 props.

Edited by Gabriela

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2015, 1:32:33, Nihil Obstat said:

In virtue of our pastoral office committed to us by the divine favor we can under no circumstances tolerate or overlook any longer the pernicious poison of the above errors without disgrace to the Christian religion and injury to orthodox faith. Some of these errors we have decided to include in the present document; their substance is as follows:

[...]

33. That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit.

An appeal to authority but how do you justify this rationally? 

On 26/12/2015, 20:25:50, Ark said:

An appeal to authority but how do you justify this rationally? 

I think the old text for a solemn excommunication says it nicely. 

"Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N-- himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 9:05:42, Benedictus said:

That's a bit below the belt :P

Why does "Crocodile Dundee" come to mind now? 

On 12/28/2015, 2:27:43, Nihil Obstat said:

I think the old text for a solemn excommunication says it nicely. 

"Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N-- himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."

So the fire serves as a motivator to turn away from sin? If a hardened heretic is willing to die for their beliefs and burning at the stake is what will motivate them to seek pardon, it probably would be an imperfect act of confession which will not save them anyway.

2 hours ago, Ark said:

So the fire serves as a motivator to turn away from sin? If a hardened heretic is willing to die for their beliefs and burning at the stake is what will motivate them to seek pardon, it probably would be an imperfect act of confession which will not save them anyway.

In which case perhaps protecting the society of the faithful from the heretic becomes a greater priority. As does temporal punishment for his crimes. But in either case, the sure knowledge of the day of one's death is a great blessing. Gives a man plenty of time to get his soul in order. One hopes that even if the heretic does not recant, at least he makes a genuine attempt to order his conscience.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

You all actually believe that the Holy Catholic Church authorized burnings at the stake? If indeed she did than the holy magesterium was run by heretics. Thats my answer for you right there. But as far as i'm aware some rogue priests practiced such burnings and where bought to justice, eventually, but that it was never authorized by the Holy Magesterium unless there where burnings at the stake during the Roman inquisition, that as far as i'm led to believe is the only official inquisition and the spanish was not, so again if the holy magesterium did authorize such practices it is very bad and wrong and not in the spirit of Christiainty what so ever and i would be bold enough to claim that the ones that ordered such burnings at the state where the actual heretics or where also heretics in this particular circumstance. Though the magesterium can not interfere with a nations right to condemn and put to death a criminal, the Holy Catholic Church has never been one to encourage it though she understands peoples right to choose what they want, i think the o.p is sorely decieved to believe that a non heretical magesterium would encourage such behaviour. If this aint the truth of the matter someone please correct me.

Jesus iz LORD!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Bearing in mind please when Jesus saved the adulteress from certain death... " Those without sin cast the first stone." This is the Holy Catholic Churches official stance on the death penalty, anyone outside of this truth is in direct opposition of 'The way' and out of fear of being Anti Christ should be in some serious need of deep thought,prayer and repentance. And if the Holy Magesterium refuses to comment either way on this scripture there is going to come a time when she will have to because the luke warm will be spat out, and even if the holy magesterium where to make an official statement on the death penalty and was pro though i would believe they where in schism i would still go to holy mass and receive Christs precious body and blood for He will still come to those whom remain faithful, unless of course i was ex communicated than i would have to not Go but would go to sabbath meal instead with the disciples of Jesus and recieve Jesus' precious body and blood spiritually, kind of protestant but not, fully Catholic like St Mary Mackillop during her ex communication.

I'm saddened that i have to be the hard head, but please correct me if i'm wrong for i am absolutely open to humble rebuke.

Oh and by the way all here, the glory of God and just a show off of the Lords amesome power that phatmass does bear fruit and will continue to in the future if those who whole heartedly follow 'The Way' remain active here. I am now 12 months sober with one bust 4 weeks ago and 5 months clean.

God Bless.

Onward Christian Souls.

Best wishes and prayers for the new year.

and as always ' JESUS IZ LORD!' LOL.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye