An Old School Catholic Message Board

Burnings at the Stake

HisChildForever

Nihil Obstat
16 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's indefensible. Attribute it to being a different time or just an awful mistake but it's a stain on Catholicism. If you're gonna defend this then it becomes no problem defending Islamic terrorist when they blow people up or execute people "for disobeying God." Thank God Catholicism has moved past this sickening practice. Again WWJD? Burning people at the stake is not an option.

You seem to think that God owes something to mankind.

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I'm very capable of viewing God as a Deity who can't stand us. Jesus changed that perception though. Please convince me how you can take the Revelation Christ gave us about the nature of God and show me how that can justify burning people at the stake. I'm fine with chalking it up as a mistake and how humans acted back then. I draw the line at defending it and pretending Jesus is cool with it and He advocated that kind of thing in the Gospels.

54 minutes ago, little2add said:

Compared to the open practice of abortion,  

the practice of Burning at the stake is insignificant .  

Both are evil.

Edited by Guest

Nihil Obstat

Josh, every second you (and everyone else and I) are not enduring unimaginable agony for eternity in hell is a pure and perfectly underserved gift from God. So I will ask, do you think God owes you something? Or anybody at all?

35 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

Josh, every second you (and everyone else and I) are not enduring unimaginable agony for eternity in hell is a pure and perfectly underserved gift from God. So I will ask, do you think God owes you something? Or anybody at all?

I disagree but if that's how you view life and existence that's on you and I respect it. Not putting words in your mouth but from your post I gather you think the majority of the human race is going to hell. So God created us basically so the majority could fall short of being deemed worthy and therefore send ourselves to hell (God doesn't send us there after all). Not just the really evil people but also good loving people like my 82 year old Grandma who doesn't go to Mass. And on top of that He sends Jesus to be tortured and beat to death so a few of the best Catholics of all time can be saved. If this is how you choose to view a God who is said to be all loving and all merciful then again that's your choice. You say every second anyone isn't enduring unimaginable agony in hell is a pure and perfectly undeserved gift from God. So all the children who starve and die of cancer each day is getting this gift? What about the women who are raped and killed? Is that part of the gift too? These things happening don't ruin my faith in God. Has it caused struggle? Yes. Although my faith is still intact. I accept there are some things I can't understand right now in this life. What I also refuse to do is view God as a Deity who can't stand us and "owes us nothing" and saves only the few very best. Because it can be real easy to succumb to that view of God. You take all the evil and natural evil and it "becomes proof" that God really does view us as dust and all we really do deserve is hell. Yeah I think the O.T. makes it obvious outside of Christ we are viewed as dust. There's tons of Scripture from the O.T. that shows we are nothing. To be fair there's O.T. Scripture that shows God's love for us too and His Mercy and goodness. Thankfully Jesus is the full Revelation of God's nature and shows us just how valuable we are to God and how much we really are loved. You're a great poster and I've learned a lot from you and you're always consistent but it's insanity to defend burning people at the stake. It's not Christian. If burning people at the stake is truly a Catholic principal and can be defended then I will humbly leave Catholicism. I don't say that as a threat or say it thinking someone cares or as an attempt for someone to say "Josh don't leave!" All I'm saying is that will be the final issue that will lead me to cease being Catholic and I will look for a new Church.

Edited by Guest

HisChildForever

Here's a question to ponder.

If burning at the stake "returned" (for lack of a better word) to greater society, utilized solely by Catholicism, how would you as a Catholic feel about this? Let's say for sake of argument it is declared a legal form of punishment at Vatican City. The crime befitting of this death penalty would be heresy.

Edited by HisChildForever
Grammar.

2 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

What does that have to do with Josh's post?

28 minutes ago, HisChildForever said:

Here's a question to ponder.

If burning at the stake "returned" (for lack of a better word) to greater society, utilized solely by Catholicism, how would you as a Catholic feel about this? Let's say for sake of argument it is declared a legal form of punishment at Vatican City. The crime befitting of this death penalty would be heresy.

I don't see Pope Francis approving burnings at the stake.  The smoke would be considered a contributing factor to global warming.

2 minutes ago, Norseman82 said:

I don't see Pope Francis approving burnings at the stake.  The smoke would be considered a contributing factor to global warming.

What about a future Pope?

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

What about a future Pope?

I don't believe in capital punishment for matters of incorrect religious belief.  Excommunicate them or say they are going to hell, but execution?  Half the Catholics on internet boards would be dead.

Not A Real Name
1 hour ago, Josh said:

I disagree but if that's how you view life and existence that's on you and I respect it. Not putting words in your mouth but from your post I gather you think the majority of the human race is going to hell. So God created us basically so the majority could fall short of being deemed worthy and therefore send ourselves to hell (God doesn't send us there after all). Not just the really evil people but also good loving people like my 82 year old Grandma who doesn't go to Mass. And on top of that He sends Jesus to be tortured and beat to death so a few of the best Catholics of all time can be saved. If this is how you choose to view a God who is said to be all loving and all merciful then again that's your choice. You say every second anyone isn't enduring unimaginable agony in hell is a pure and perfectly undeserved gift from God. So all the children who starve and die of cancer each day is getting this gift? What about the women who are raped and killed? Is that part of the gift too? These things happening don't ruin my faith in God. Has it caused struggle? Yes. Although my faith is still intact. I accept there are some things I can't understand right now in this life. What I also refuse to do is view God as a Deity who can't stand us and "owes us nothing" and saves only the few very best. Because it can be real easy to succumb to that view of God. You take all the evil and natural evil and it "becomes proof" that God really does view us as dust and all we really do deserve is hell. Yeah I think the O.T. makes it obvious outside of Christ we are viewed as dust. There's tons of Scripture from the O.T. that shows we are nothing. To be fair there's O.T. Scripture that shows God's love for us too and His Mercy and goodness. Thankfully Jesus is the full Revelation of God's nature and shows us just how valuable we are to God and how much we really are loved. You're a great poster and I've learned a lot from you and you're always consistent but it's insanity to defend burning people at the stake. It's not Christian. If burning people at the stake is truly a Catholic principal and can be defended then I will humbly leave Catholicism. I don't say that as a threat or say it thinking someone cares or as an attempt for someone to say "Josh don't leave!" All I'm saying is that will be the final issue that will lead me to cease being Catholic and I will look for a new Church.

The great wailing wall of text. 

Josh, you make a lot of statements about leaving Catholicism.  Why is that? How can you know about the Eucharist and still make statements about leaving Catholicism? I mean even if all the Catholics in the world were evil a-holes, the Eucharist itself is reason enough to stay. 

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."--John 6:68

17 minutes ago, Not A Real Name said:

The great wailing wall of text. 

Josh, you make a lot of statements about leaving Catholicism.  Why is that? How can you know about the Eucharist and still make statements about leaving Catholicism? I mean even if all the Catholics in the world were evil a-holes, the Eucharist itself is reason enough to stay. 

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."--John 6:68

You obviously didn't read my post.

And I'm an evil a-hole so that's not the problem. The problem would be if burning at the stake is considered legitimate and defended in Catholic doctrine. I also wasn't whining. I was asked a question and responded.

Nihil Obstat
1 hour ago, Josh said:

No Josh, God created us out of love, and for us to love Him and be happy with Him. Through our own arrogance and weakness we continually reject that perfect gift, starting with Adam, and continuing on unbroken right down to you. Does God owe you anything? And on the other hand, what exactly do you owe God?

Nihil Obstat
2 minutes ago, Josh said:

No Josh what? 

" So God created us basically so the majority could fall short of being deemed worthy and therefore send ourselves to hell "

Absolutely not. That evil comes from none but ourselves. God created us to love Him and serve Him in this life and be happy with Him in the next.

3 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

" So God created us basically so the majority could fall short of being deemed worthy and therefore send ourselves to hell "

Absolutely not. That evil comes from none but ourselves. God created us to love Him and serve Him in this life and be happy with Him in the next.

I don't think God created us for that to happen nor do I think that's going to happen. The majority of the human race isn't going to hell. Am I going to hell? Quite possibly. The majority of the human race? No.