An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas in the Convent

marigold

My first thought to people who don't want 'stuff' is to go for foodstuffs or sweets, things that have a long shelf life so they don't need to be gobbled up straight away. Huge cartons of chocolates cause more stress than they're worth as the sisters desperately try to give them away and use them up before they go bad! A nice jam (especially if you made it yourself!) or fancy olives or cheese, something they wouldn't buy for themselves, but not extravagant. When I arrived at the monastery back in August, I brought two small cheeses from the country where I'd been living. That went down really well.

One of the nicest convent presents was when a friend and I were spending the weekend at a monastery. It was my friend's birthday and somehow the sisters found out. At the next meal, a sister presented her with a beautiful little bouquet made from garden flowers and sprigs from the hedgerow. It was such an obviously poor present, and the sister knew it, but it had clearly been made with such love and care that it was one of the best things either of us had been given. And we still remember it, which says something!

@vee I honestly haven't decided what to do about presents this year. I'm technically a sister, and people close to me know that means I probably won't give normal presents, but on the other hand I do have a little bit of spending money and I might still be in town for it. It would be weird/rude to sit there opening presents from everyone else and not have given anything... right? But what if I get to return to the monastery with only 1-2 weeks left till Christmas - should I leave gifts for my family? I don't know.

Spem in alium

For communities, donations of money, food items (not chocolate, but maybe a bottle of wine, some nice cheese or a cake), candles for the chapel or table, or stationery (STAMPS!!!!) are often well received. 

I am buying a gift for my superior and for my formation director (I still have my own money at the moment). I'm suuuuper stuck on superior's gift (leaning towards a voucher for an "experience" she can do with her blood sister who is visiting from overseas) but did buy my director a perfume I knew she wanted. We are also doing a Secret Santa here in the convent.

In regards to family, I'd probably get them something - maybe a hamper, if you can afford? It's less stressful for you, and it means you're not visiting them empty-handed. I'll probably go that route myself, or get them a nice bottle of wine or something down that route.

I loved Christmas in the convent, although Advent was super nerve-wracking getting everything cleaned. 

Not to be silly, but one of my favorite parts was the opportunity to marathon the LOTR series. Some of the novitiate Sisters did that every year during the octave ... the professed thought we were nuts. 

Spem in alium, how about blank faux-leather bound journals as gifts for your superior and formation director to use as spiritual journals for themselves?

Edited by Swami Mommy

7 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

I loved Christmas in the convent, although Advent was super nerve-wracking getting everything cleaned. 

Not to be silly, but one of my favorite parts was the opportunity to marathon the LOTR series. Some of the novitiate Sisters did that every year during the octave ... the professed thought we were nuts. 

Books or films?

Yinepu Sanctimonialis
46 minutes ago, marigold said:

Books or films?

I guess they were watching the film :)) The marathon have sense/realise just together and in front of the screen ...:)

11 minutes ago, Yinepu Sanctimonialis said:

I guess they were watching the film :)) The marathon have sense/realise just together and in front of the screen ...:)

You're right, that does make sense :)

dominicansoul

I would share, but my past community has a veil of secrecy over its traditions.  I nicknamed it "the dominican code."  "Don't be breaking the Dominican code!"  I have to smile when I see others using that term. lol.

The reason for the secrecy was pretty basic.   Mother didn't want us spoiling surprises for the postulants.  It was their first year and they should not have known what we were up to until they experienced it for themselves, which to me makes alot of sense.

Of course, our Dominican brothers have no problem sharing EVERYTHING on the internet, so you can pretty much see what Dominicans do for Christmas in their communities.  AT the same time, communities are different and do have variety in their traditions...

24 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

films

Boy, that's like 11 hours or something, isn't it? I did that a couple of times with one of my friends who is a LOTR nerd. Kind of surreal afterwards... :)

Spem in alium
1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

I would share, but my past community has a veil of secrecy over its traditions.  I nicknamed it "the dominican code."  "Don't be breaking the Dominican code!"  I have to smile when I see others using that term. lol.

The reason for the secrecy was pretty basic.   Mother didn't want us spoiling surprises for the postulants.  It was their first year and they should not have known what we were up to until they experienced it for themselves, which to me makes alot of sense.

Of course, our Dominican brothers have no problem sharing EVERYTHING on the internet, so you can pretty much see what Dominicans do for Christmas in their communities.  AT the same time, communities are different and do have variety in their traditions...

Haha, that does make sense! We have a fun pastime/practical joke that happens at Easter, and Sisters were very secretive about it so I was really surprised! They were ALMOST successful with Christmas, too. Part of our custom is the breaking and sharing of the wafer, and one Sister proceeded to tell me all about it while another was saying, "Nooo! It was meant to be a surprise!" LOL. I reassured her I'd try to forget it by Christmas, so I could be surprised again. ;) 

14 hours ago, Swami Mommy said:

Spem in alium, how about blank faux-leather bound journals as gifts for your superior and formation director to use as spiritual journals for themselves?

Thanks for your suggestion! I was also thinking a journal for my superior, or some nice tea, but I wasn't sure. I'm quite tempted to go with a voucher (for 2) to high tea, or a twilight cruise on the harbour, because if she doesn't use with her sister she could always go with another person and it's valid for a year.

I've already got my director a present, so no worries there :) 

3 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

films

2 hours ago, marigold said:

Boy, that's like 11 hours or something, isn't it? I did that a couple of times with one of my friends who is a LOTR nerd. Kind of surreal afterwards... :)

Me and my twin would do this every 3 day weekend with the extended 5 hour additions (they are closer to the books) with 1 movie a day.

We used to get asked what we were doing for the long weekend and we'd always respond "Watching all 15 hours of the Lord of the Rings movies!" After a while they caught on :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

A bit OT: For those of you who are animal lovers, you might want to reconsider before watching The Hobbit, depending on how you feel about animal abuse.

More than 27 animals died during the filming of The Hobbit due to abuse by the New Zealand company hired to provide animals for the filmmakers. (Most films made in the U.S. that include animals are overseen by the SPCA, and have a statement to that effect in the film credits.) My vet was very sad about this, because The Hobbit is one of her favorite books and she couldn't in good conscience see the movie.

I know that not everyone shares my values about the importance of respecting the lives of animals, but I thought I'd include this as an FYI.

Also, I know nothing about the LOTR movies with regard to treatment of animals. I've never been a LOTR fan so I've never seen any of the movies, in any case.

MarysLittleFlower
On 12/8/2015 2:37:27, Spem in alium said:

It's going to be a simple image of the Baby Jesus, with the words "I come to you as...". Light, joy, peace, simplicity, etc. :) 

I'm also organising our patrons for next year. On the feast of Epiphany, we each draw a card which has a patron saint (connected to te congregation), a particular intention to pray for throughout the year, and some words from the Holy Father (these will be taken from Misericordiae Vultus).  

And this year we're also doing Secret Santa! Going to be so much fun! Some Sisters are making lists of what they want...I'm happy to just go with it and see what happens!

I really like that idea with the virtues :) do you choose a virtue for each person or is it at "random"? 

Spem in alium
2 hours ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

I really like that idea with the virtues :) do you choose a virtue for each person or is it at "random"? 

I'm doing it at random :) The patron cards will also have virtues to practice, and I believe they're also drawn at random by Sisters.