An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas in the Convent

marigold

Ahh Christmas in the Monastery.........brings back a lot of memories and all of them good.  We started with Matins and then went to Midnight Mass.  After Mass and thanksgiving we processed around the monastery to put the baby Jesus in the various cribs set up.  There were at least seven of them outside the chapel (i.e. novitiate, hallways, professed sisters' area, etc.).  Then we ended up in the refectory where it was lit by candles and at everyone's place was fruit, nuts, a little plate of Christmas cookies and hot cocoa.  After that we went back to chapel and exposed the Blessed Sacrament.  We all gathered around the altar and sang Christmas carols to the Blessed Sacrament.  When that was over (about 3:30am) we could stay for adoration or go to bed.  We could sleep in on Christmas till 6:00am - the only day of the year.  Of course we didn't get to bed till after 3:30!! 

Christmas day was quiet.  Feast Day meals and a free day to pray more and to sleep a bit if needed.  We didn't get mail or gifts from home till the 26th.  Then after the 26th our "vacation" started.  We could have home visits and write letters - we recreated every day all afternoon until January 13th,  We only did our work in the morning and then were "free" the rest of the day.  I really miss Christmas in the Monastery.

MarysLittleFlower
27 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

I'm doing it at random :) The patron cards will also have virtues to practice, and I believe they're also drawn at random by Sisters. 

That's neat! :) would it be possible to use this idea for a parish women's group or with friends? 

Spem in alium
Just now, MarysLittleFlower said:

That's neat! :) would it be possible to use this idea for a parish women's group or with friends? 

Go for it! :) For mine, I bought everything from what you may call a "variety store" - it all cost me under $30. I bought some small brown cardboard gift boxes and assembled them, then lined them with some hessian and filled them with coloured straw. I'll put the image of Baby Jesus on top, but likely roll it so it's a sort of scroll (easier to fit and adds some extra mystery) and then tie all the boxes with string. I also made some little gift tags to put on which say "I've got a message for you -- Jesus". ;) Our table will be quite decorated and full for Christmas, so I wanted to make something simple and small.

MarysLittleFlower
34 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

Thank you! :) I know there are traditions in monasteries about drawing a patron Saint for the year etc. But I always wondered if that's something that could be done with friends too!

Spem in alium
1 minute ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

Thank you! :) I know there are traditions in monasteries about drawing a patron Saint for the year etc. But I always wondered if that's something that could be done with friends too!

Of course! With our patrons, I chose saints that were either connected with my congregation or who would have a particular relevance and meaning for my Sisters. Some of the saints chosen just came to me without any real reason in my mind :) Virtues and intentions were fairly straightforward, as was choosing the words from our Holy Father. I am working with another Sister on putting them together, and I think we are going to make small cards with an icon of the Holy Family on the front.

MarysLittleFlower
2 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

I'm glad its fine! :) I just really like the idea and I hope the Sisters do too, I'm sure they would! :)

3 hours ago, miserere55 said:

Ahh Christmas in the Monastery.........brings back a lot of memories and all of them good.  We started with Matins and then went to Midnight Mass.  After Mass and thanksgiving we processed around the monastery to put the baby Jesus in the various cribs set up.  There were at least seven of them outside the chapel (i.e. novitiate, hallways, professed sisters' area, etc.).  Then we ended up in the refectory where it was lit by candles and at everyone's place was fruit, nuts, a little plate of Christmas cookies and hot cocoa.  After that we went back to chapel and exposed the Blessed Sacrament.  We all gathered around the altar and sang Christmas carols to the Blessed Sacrament.  When that was over (about 3:30am) we could stay for adoration or go to bed.  We could sleep in on Christmas till 6:00am - the only day of the year.  Of course we didn't get to bed till after 3:30!! 

Christmas day was quiet.  Feast Day meals and a free day to pray more and to sleep a bit if needed.  We didn't get mail or gifts from home till the 26th.  Then after the 26th our "vacation" started.  We could have home visits and write letters - we recreated every day all afternoon until January 13th,  We only did our work in the morning and then were "free" the rest of the day.  I really miss Christmas in the Monastery.

I sympathise. It sounds :love: heavenly :love:

(But the dummy in me asks, where were all the Baby Jesuses hiding until you got to put them in their cribs?)

Edited by marigold

4 hours ago, MarysLittleFlower said:

We've done both patron saints and virtues draws here on phatmass - I think Archeology Cat the former and IgnatiusofLoyola the latter.  Typically, it would have started already, but maybe it's not happening this year. 

I remembered today that I visited the Daughters of St. Paul during this past Christmas season. The sisters set up Nativity scenes/pictures all around the motherhouse. Baby Jesus was everywhere! There was also a table in the dining room devoted to cookies and other Christmas sweets. It seemed that new treats appeared on the table every day. Baby Jesus and desserts: what could be more heavenly? :P 

10 hours ago, HopefulHeart said:

I remembered today that I visited the Daughters of St. Paul during this past Christmas season. The sisters set up Nativity scenes/pictures all around the motherhouse. Baby Jesus was everywhere! There was also a table in the dining room devoted to cookies and other Christmas sweets. It seemed that new treats appeared on the table every day. Baby Jesus and desserts: what could be more heavenly? :P 

Doubly delicious! :hehe: 

IgnatiusofLoyola
13 hours ago, truthfinder said:

We've done both patron saints and virtues draws here on phatmass - I think Archeology Cat the former and IgnatiusofLoyola the latter.  Typically, it would have started already, but maybe it's not happening this year. 

Sorry, I didn't do the virtues. I think it was AnneLine who drew virtues and continents. AnneLine no longer posts, although I see signs that she visits once in awhile because she gives props. I'm not the right person to draw virtues and continents, because I'm not Catholic. Perhaps someone else can.

Also, I think Lil Red has drawn saints in the past. However, I'm not sure about this year because she is very busy with a new baby. Perhaps someone else will volunteer.

1 hour ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Sorry, I didn't do the virtues. I think it was AnneLine who drew virtues and continents. AnneLine no longer posts, although I see signs that she visits once in awhile because she gives props. I'm not the right person to draw virtues and continents, because I'm not Catholic. Perhaps someone else can.

Also, I think Lil Red has drawn saints in the past. However, I'm not sure about this year because she is very busy with a new baby. Perhaps someone else will volunteer.

Hi Iggy!  I keep trying to send you a message but phone won't let me.  Will keep trying.  

4 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

Thanks Iggy, I can't seem to keep everyone straight in my head. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spem in alium

This past Christmas - my first Christmas in the convent - was the most meaningful I've ever had (apart from when I arrived home from a four-month overseas trip on Christmas day, completely jetlagged, and told by my family on the way home that we were having all our extended family over. I was a zombie that day.).

52 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

This past Christmas - my first Christmas in the convent - was the most meaningful I've ever had (apart from when I arrived home from a four-month overseas trip on Christmas day, completely jetlagged, and told by my family on the way home that we were having all our extended family over. I was a zombie that day.).

I am having such a wonderful Christmas at home, but there's the thought in the back of my head that I can't wait for (God willing) next year, when I can experience it in the monastery. 

Glad you are having a good one :)