An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ohai from the Other Side

Era Might

IgnatiusofLoyola
On 12/10/2015, 1:41:36, Era Might said:

So I just drove across 4 states and heard the new Adele song 900 times. I've outlined the sketch for a PhD thesis:

1. Good singer

2. Does she have any songs that aren't jump-off-a-bridge depressing?

3. She says in the song she called this guy 1000 times but he never seems to be home. What is this, 1985? People have cellphones.

4. She asks the guy if he ever left that town where nothing ever seemed to happen, but she says "Hello from the outside" which I assume means she went to his house after he didn't answer her 994th call. Obviously she knows where he lives, and has his phone number, but she doesn't know if he ever left his hometown?

Which brings me to my main thesis...

5. Look lady, you called the guy 1000 times, and your last hit song was also about stalking a guy in France. Take a clue...he's not answering his phone cuz he wants you to stop stalking him.

This is hilarious. My condolences for you for having to listen to the new Adele song 900 times. I imagine radio stations across the U.S. are playing it nonstop.

Apparently the guy in this song is a second boyfriend that came after the boyfriend that Adele sang about in her last album. However she appears to have finally moved on from the guy in "Hello" and has a new boyfriend with whom she now has a 3-year old son. Despite having a child together, she has said she doesn't want to marry her current boyfriend (apparently because of her previous bad experiences--at least that's the reason she gives publicly).

My only thought when I heard the new Adele song (which I have only listened to once and wasn't thrilled) was that Adele's voice is raspier than it was in her last album. Apparently Adele smokes, and has no plans to give up smoking. I really liked Adele's voice and many of the songs in her last album. I'll be interested to see if my opinion changes after I hear the rest of the songs in her new album (although I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to them).

I'm a little depressed that I know even THIS much about Adele. 

One last thought: One thing I like very much about Adele is that she hasn't seen the need to diet down to a Size 0, and perform half-naked in order to sell her album, although I suspect her record label and others wanting to make money off her have put pressure on Adele to look like all the other female pop singers seem to look nowadays.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola