Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Most Of You (i Think) Are Lucky


Recommended Posts

Posted

Most of you are born into Christian or Catholic families right????

A part of an email I sent to my priest today (maybe if he could get paid 1 cent for answering every single one of my questions every time I get worried, he'd be a multimillionaire by the end of the week - unless he gave it all to charity or something):

[quote]"Also, about my parents being of different religion to me - last time they took me to a temple they told me to bow down to a statue, and then in front of my Grandma's ashes. I really tried to resist and ended up clasping my hands and bowing my head. All the time I didn't want to do it and I kept thinking "God, please forgive me." Someone had advised me against it on one of the Protestant messageboards I used to go to, quoting from the Bible that Jesus had come as a sword separating daughter from mother, etc. because I had asked whether I should disrespect my parents and not worship idols, or go along mechanically with what they told me to do. I hardly ever go to temples because i'm usually at school or something but Mum wanted it to be a family thing that time."[/quote]
It seems to be one thing to be "picked on" by the govt, total stranger, or something....completely another when it's your family. I felt pressured to bow even to the point where I think I didn't think...and I seriously thought that I had committed yet another mortal sin that was to be washed away by Baptism.

I never post at that Protestant (well, Christian, so they claim, but that usually means "Protestant" to me) board anymore. I try to start some discussion (eg. I remember talking about something like how Christianity got introduced to Indonesian tribes by the Jesuits and other missionaries and after a hundred years or so with little contact from the outside world you'd hardly recognise it...something like that, neways) and one of the first posts was from one of the mods seemed like a usual snapping at anyone who didn't agree with him (that's kind of what i felt when i read his reply, neways) - as he was with most other ppl on the board.


Aaanyways...

then in reply, Fr. said to me:

[quote]"Concerning that happen with your parents bringing you to bow in the temple, just obey them in the meantime. Then try to dialogue with them in a nice manner (heart to heart talk) about your "choice" of faith expression. That try to convince them that you can be free to choose what faith your conscience dictates and that you'll be happy in the Catholic faith.

You have not committed any sin at all. I understand you, God understands our situation and "your" situation. You are still young, but try to obey your parents first and then attend Church Masses here. Taht's for the meantime."[/quote]

What's your opinion on my sit? what do you guys think I should do?

Posted

It is hard when you are young, and must obey and honor your parents. You can turn your heart towards God, but you must also follow His commandments (the first commandment with promise!)

I agree with your priest. I would also urge you to continue to pray for your parents' conversion. God will not abandon you! Also, as today is the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary beg her to lead you to Christ and as our Mother as her to pray for your parents conversion. I know she will be happy to do so.

peace...

p.s. I take it your parents are Buddhist?

Posted

Mum's Buddhist. Dad's atheist, but for his mum's sake, he tags along with Mum to the temple whenever we go to commemorate Grandma's death and stuff.

master_alterserver
Posted

must be hard


keep this in mind...the priest at our church asks that people bow or genuflect to the tabernacle in respect...respect...respect...i say respect...for our beleifs. think about that

Posted

what exactly are you saying, that i respect my parents' beliefs? (well, not like I don't already, since my parents have been taking me to the temple since i was really little.)

master_alterserver
Posted

well, just bow out of respect...just because you do something as little as bow...it isn´t saying that you believe in it


now...if someone came and said the creed...that would be different

Posted (edited)

...should I copy and paste this to the Q and A forum? who knows, someone else might come along with exactly the same problem (I'm not the only one in the world going through this??? :huh: ) and I'd also like a scholarly/another priestly opinion on this...

Edited by justfran
OwNeD_byGoD
Posted

aye aye aye... prayers.... im sorry i know hwat you mean kinda my mom was kinda wicka... and not catholic... while dad was never around... i even started picking up my moms spell books and horoscopes and gem spirits... dumb stuff
st.michael the archangel, pray for us, protect us

Posted

...well i hope it won't go as far as that...(picking up spellbooks i mean)

OwNeD_byGoD
Posted

haha just as long as she doesnt think you're the reincarnation of Buddah haha =P im sure all will turn out fine, you have a good heart

theculturewarrior
Posted

With radical conversion experiences (I was not raised in the Christian faith myself) there is a danger of scrupulosity. Perhaps that's the wrong word. Maybe "religiosity." I would ask Tnmittenkitten.

Anyway, before I got a good toehold on the Catholic Faith, I worried alot about little things that wouldn't bother other people. (If my sinuses are draining before mass, does that break the fast? If the priest doesn't give me a penance, am I still forgiven? Should I get back in line and ask him for one?) Questions like these.

I'm not sure if I can give you any tips on overcoming "convert anxiety." Tnmittenkitten can though. :)

Posted

Justfran,

1) How old are you?

2) I'm a little hesitant to just take that priest's word for it. I remember reading
the old Baltimore Catechism and under "violations of the 1st commandment" it shows a person bowing to a Buddha statue with the caption "Buddha is God". I also remember an incident growing up where I had to stand up to family members because I refused to rub a Buddha statue in the belly to for good luck so they could have a winning lottery ticket or something like that.

There are certain things we are not obligated to obey parents on.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Norseman is correct. There are certain things we do not need to obey our parents on. If you continue to pretend to follow your mother's religion, it can only lead to trouble. If you know it is wrong, then I would say don't do it, even if your parents tell you to. They don't have the ultimate authority, God does. Remember the three children in the midst of the flames. God sent an angel to protect them. God will protect you if you stand up for Him.

Also, if you are praying for your parents' conversion, it doesn't say much about the strength of Christian faith if you give in. Rather, abstain, refuse to worship idols, but do it respectfully and charitably. This may reach your parents more than words ever could, because you would be saying that your faith has taught you to stand up for what you believe in and that it has made you a kind person, even to your persecutors.

I have just come back from spending a year at a seminary. I always agree with the magisterium, but individual priests can be goofy, trust me, and often disagree with one another. Follow God's commands and you can't go wrong, even if it seems like trouble comes from it, that trouble will only be fleeting.

I'm pretty sure this is the advice that EWTN would give you...

Posted

lol, before i was done reading your first post i knew that your parents must be Buddhist...are your parents asian?

i say this because to asian parents, what stands as most important is that you are obedient. you never are suppose to "teach" your parents because it turns out worse. they just look at it as being disobedient. so you never talk back to them.

my mom's side of the family is buddhist and when my mom passed away my grandma tried to get me to bring my mom food every morning as an offering. i ended up just not doing it because i knew it wasn't right. so, as i remember back to being in those moments where i was also told (not asked) to do those things i remember it was better to just not do it than to say anything about not doing it. remembering that speaking back to my mom's parents was what sticks out to them. so, i say just don't bow but you really don't have to say anything about it and you would still be respectful of your parents...

Lounge Daddy
Posted

[quote name='OwNeD_byGoD' date='Jun 21 2004, 03:22 AM'] haha just as long as she doesnt think you're the reincarnation of Buddah haha =P im sure all will turn out fine, you have a good heart [/quote]
[font="Courier"]you do have a good heart
God Bless you - you are awesome[/font]

Ash Wednesday
Posted

haha.. I rubbed a Buddha belly a couple weeks ago as a joke!

:o

Ash Wednesday
Posted

I will also mention that even though many of us come from Christian families, there is often the cross to bear that many don't go to Church or practice the religion anymore... :(

Posted (edited)

traichuoi - yep, I'm Chinese.

I'm going to talk to my mum just before we go to the temple next time (should there be a next time - next year i might be moving away if I get into the uni course I want so who knows, I might never be home on the days...). We hardly ever go so i don't think I'd have to talk about it that early.

[quote]Also, if you are praying for your parents' conversion, it doesn't say much about the strength of Christian faith if you give in.[/quote]

Erm, I do like to think I've grown in faith since that time a few months ago. And trust me, my mum grabbed my hands and made me do it while i was too busy standing frozen and trying to figure out what to do. Then when my dad told me to do it he stood there and stared at me for what felt like ten minutes thinking that this really wasn't right, why are you still staring at me, Dad? I'm not a quick decider, and I still have to keep working on my faith.

Edited by justfran
Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote]Erm, I do like to think I've grown in faith since that time a few months ago. And trust me, my mum grabbed my hands and made me do it while i was too busy standing frozen and trying to figure out what to do. Then when my dad told me to do it he stood there and stared at me for what felt like ten minutes thinking that this really wasn't right, why are you still staring at me, Dad? I'm not a quick decider, and I still have to keep working on my faith.

[/quote]

Wow. I'm sorry. All I can say is to continue praying and pray for the strength to resist. I understand this must be tough. My parents don't force me into other religions, but they are VERY opinionated in some ways against the Church and there isn't much I can do but defend the faith. That alone is difficult, so I can't imagine.

Posted

[quote name='justfran' date='Jun 22 2004, 07:16 AM'] And trust me, my mum grabbed my hands and made me do it while i was too busy standing frozen and trying to figure out what to do. [/quote]
Then it almost sounds to me like the "full consent of the will" may not have been present, if you were physically overpowered.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...