An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ahem. Some News. Thought You Should Know.

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Ahem.

As many of you know, I have had a personal journey/character transformation since first coming on here that has been... interesting and most eventful, to say the least. I need hardly name several of my biggest obnoxious accomplishments such as "The World is Full of Sheep" and "What Every Woman Should Know" (or something like that) for you to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks to you very fine people, in time you patiently took what was most certainly one of the biggest obnoxious jerks you've met and turned me into a somewhat tolerable person to be around. For that and all of the social benefits I have received as a consequence (such as having friends), I thank you.

Of course, I had a major personal, spiritual, and ideological transformation last year during a certain (now unfortunately infamous) internship, which has turned me into an even almost completely tolerable person to be around. Of course, all of the things I learned were things many people here had already told me, but they were lessons both ideological and personal I needed to learn the hard way. Looking back, I can see how providence put all these things in place for a purpose, and you were all part of that providence.

However, there is something I kept quiet last year. In January of 2015, I begin an application with my diocese. I didn't publicly announce this because I had learned the lesson of making vocational news public only to have it fall through. About halfway through the application on March 4th, I was turned down and told to wait at least one year to focus on speech therapy, owing to my moderate stammer. To say the very least, that was both soul-crushing and horrifying. But at least I didn't have to face people asking me about how the application was going, so clearly my foresight came in handy.

This previous January, I came back to my vocation director to let him see the progress in my speech. From the first word out of my mouth he began smiling, as I was having literally zero problems speaking. I was perfectly fluent, and he was more than happy to get me started back where I was in the application. Remembering what had happened last year, I didn't say anything for fear of something coming up. What if it was determined in the psychological examination that I'm crazy? I mean, obviously I am, but of the dangerous variety? What if they just determine they don't need an insufferable snot rag like me wearing a collar? Consequently, I only told a small number of very good friends, and left it at that.

However, I have been informed this morning that despite all odds, I have been accepted and my acceptance meeting with the Bishop is on May 10th. This is something I've been waiting for for five years now, and it would not have happened without this community's support and whipping me into shape. It took a really long time and a lot of work on the part of a lot of people, but it all seems a short and insignificant process for such a great reward.

Thank you all for helping to make this happen. I'll repay you all by becoming pope and giving Phatmassers a plenary indulgence.

giphy.gif

God preserve you in your perseverance, and God preserve US (from you!).

But seriously, :clapping:.

And which diocese is this for? I think I remember you saying that someone was trying to convince you to go to the next diocese over (Dodge City?) because they were in greater need of priests.

Edited by Luigi

PhuturePriest
14 minutes ago, Luigi said:

God preserve you in your perseverance, and God preserve US (from you!).

But seriously, :clapping:.

And which diocese is this for? I think I remember you saying that someone was trying to convince you to go to the next diocese over (Dodge City?) because they were in greater need of priests.

Wichita. I almost went with Dodge, but I'm a Wichita man first and foremost.

amesome. I hope we are all invited to your ordination. ;) I will be the one carrying a celebration banner that reads "Ad multos annos, Fr. Phoetus."

(On second thoughts there might be many Phatmassers with banners like that, so I could ice my congratulations on a cake instead.)

Congrats! Enjoy the billion years of study and discernment before ordination. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. It will be fun!

PhuturePriest
1 hour ago, DominicanHeart said:

Why don't we move this to Vocation Station?

I don't really know the people in vocation station, so this was more something to share with my friends on here.

I can make one for VS, of course. It's just more of a niche group that I'm not familiar with. 

We should put this in every board on the phorum. The acceptance to seminary of a future pope is of concern to all Phatmassers.

logged in to say congrats. i know you've wanted this for a long time :) I am very excited for you