Credo in Deum Posted July 6, 2016 Posted July 6, 2016 I've never liked the phrase "I'm only human" when it comes to a reason for our imperfection, since human beings were never intended by God to be imperfect. Whenever I think of the phrase "I'm only human" I think of our Blessed Mother who was the perfect example of humanity made in the image of God. Sin is always a lessening of our humanity. A forfeiting of our dignity.
Ice_nine Posted July 6, 2016 Posted July 6, 2016 5 hours ago, Credo in Deum said: I've never liked the phrase "I'm only human" when it comes to a reason for our imperfection, since human beings were never intended by God to be imperfect. But we are so . . .
Credo in Deum Posted July 6, 2016 Posted July 6, 2016 17 minutes ago, Ice_nine said: But we are so . . . We are fallen/corrupted human beings. There is a difference. The corruption indicates we are not what we were meant to be. Saying "I'm only human" is like saying "I was meant to be corrupted" which is not the case. You are meant to be sinless, virtuous, and whole. This is what it means to be human.
LittleWaySoul Posted July 6, 2016 Posted July 6, 2016 On 5 luglio 2016 at 0:30 PM, Anomaly said: Because everyone is hypocritical at times. Catholics and others with principles happen to have identified standards that make it easier to find examples of hypocrisy. If you don't really stand up for anything, or have preferences, you can't be hypocritical. It's a dilemma for Catholics to be kind and tolerant on one hand, but not be approving or seem to be condoning or encouraging in the other, when it comes to sexual behaviors, perceived or actually taking place. Wow, this is a really good point. I've never thought of it this way before. Thanks for saying this. You're in my prayers, @Aragon! I'm really sorry that happened to you.
Ice_nine Posted July 6, 2016 Posted July 6, 2016 1 hour ago, Credo in Deum said: We are fallen/corrupted human beings. There is a difference. The corruption indicates we are not what we were meant to be. Saying "I'm only human" is like saying "I was meant to be corrupted" which is not the case. You are meant to be sinless, virtuous, and whole. This is what it means to be human. Splitting hairs
Peace Posted July 7, 2016 Posted July 7, 2016 2 hours ago, Credo in Deum said: We are fallen/corrupted human beings. There is a difference. The corruption indicates we are not what we were meant to be. Saying "I'm only human" is like saying "I was meant to be corrupted" which is not the case. You are meant to be sinless, virtuous, and whole. This is what it means to be human. I think you are reading just a bit too much into it. But that's OK. You are only human.
Credo in Deum Posted July 7, 2016 Posted July 7, 2016 2 hours ago, Ice_nine said: Splitting hairs Sure.
Norseman82 Posted July 8, 2016 Posted July 8, 2016 On Saturday, July 02, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Aragon said: Hi all, I am sorry to use this forum to vent but I don't really know who else I could tell in my real life who would understand this situation. If any of you remember from my previous posts I experience same sex attraction and returned to the Church this year. My country is currently holding their elections and last night I was out having drinks with a friend from church, his friend (also from our church) and a secular friend of mine. We were talking about the election and I mentioned I cast my vote for the more conservative party and my secular friend (who knows I am Catholic but is kind of oblivious to what all that means) said "how could you vote for x? You're gay!" My church friend knows this and is okay with it, but the other guy from church didn't. It was awkward for a bit and the conversation moved on but after fifteen minutes the guy I don't know from church left kind of suddenly. This morning I was asking my friend why he left early and it turns out he was uncomfortable being around me because of my sexual attractions and (quoting my friend who was quoting this other guy) "I'd prefer not to spend my Saturday night in that type of company". I know that this one person's behaviour isn't a reflection on the entire Church, but I'm just feeling pretty lousy at the moment and would appreciate your prayers. The friend of the friend and the one who outed you were clueless at best or rude at worst. You need better drinking buddies, plus be more discreet/prudent regarding whom you confide your stuggles to. Based on your username and the fact that you just had elections, I presume you are in Spain? Part of the behavior may be cultural and inspired by a sense of machismo reinforced. Part of it could also be that he thinks of you as an occasion of sin to be avoided. Maybe he thinks that you are an "activist" who will try to promote the "gay agenda". Either way, you are going to have buckle down, grow a thick skin, and face the fact that there are people who, until they get to know you, will be uncomfortable around gay people. You are not the first person who has faced this, and you will not be the last. Remember that even St. Paul, after his conversion experience, was sent to Arabia for three years because the Christian community did not trust him.
Guest Posted July 8, 2016 Posted July 8, 2016 On 6/07/2016 at 2:00 AM, Anomaly said: Because everyone is hypocritical at times. Catholics and others with principles happen to have identified standards that make it easier to find examples of hypocrisy. If you don't really stand up for anything, or have preferences, you can't be hypocritical. It's a dilemma for Catholics to be kind and tolerant on one hand, but not be approving or seem to be condoning or encouraging in the other, when it comes to sexual behaviors, perceived or actually taking place. Since you're Catholic too, than count this as one of the 7x70 times to forgive hypocrisy. Insightful response, excellent - thank you.
dominicansoul Posted July 9, 2016 Posted July 9, 2016 Why would you care if this guy wasn't even a friend? I feel like everybody in our society has become so sensitive to other people's words attitudes opinions etc.. And have knee jerk reactions to it. I've met people I thought were good Catholics who showed disdain toward me for no reason at all. My response? Meeeeeh. I guess I've lived through racism, abuse, anti religious bigotry, being passed over for jobs and positions because I'm not shapely and attractive, being looked down upon because I'm a woman, etc. that I've grown strong and pretty immune to the ass hole ness of others. My advice? Don't let other people's attitudes change your good spirit. Learn to let that poo slide off your back and try not to dwell on it so much. Say a prayer for him and move on. But most especially don't make yourself out to be a victim. I know that's popular these days, but us Catholics are not victims to anyone's idiocy unless we give others that power to hurt us.
WhiteLily Posted July 17, 2016 Posted July 17, 2016 (edited) On July 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Aragon said: Hi all, I am sorry to use this forum to vent but I don't really know who else I could tell in my real life who would understand this situation. If any of you remember from my previous posts I experience same sex attraction and returned to the Church this year. My country is currently holding their elections and last night I was out having drinks with a friend from church, his friend (also from our church) and a secular friend of mine. We were talking about the election and I mentioned I cast my vote for the more conservative party and my secular friend (who knows I am Catholic but is kind of oblivious to what all that means) said "how could you vote for x? You're gay!" My church friend knows this and is okay with it, but the other guy from church didn't. It was awkward for a bit and the conversation moved on but after fifteen minutes the guy I don't know from church left kind of suddenly. This morning I was asking my friend why he left early and it turns out he was uncomfortable being around me because of my sexual attractions and (quoting my friend who was quoting this other guy) "I'd prefer not to spend my Saturday night in that type of company". I know that this one person's behaviour isn't a reflection on the entire Church, but I'm just feeling pretty lousy at the moment and would appreciate your prayers. Well, in some sense we are all hypocrites. St. Paul writes in Romans 7:15 " I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate." What happens is, in a sense, we are spiritually blind to our sin or to the law. Unless we desire to grow in the spiritual life and study/live out important spiritual principles, we are going to remain spiritually blind to our sin. The Lord stresses to St. Catherine of Siena (found in her Dialogue) that we must grow in self-knowledge and wisdom. the saints stress self-knowledge. If we don't know ourselves, it will be very difficult to love God and our neighbor as ourselves. I am praying for you! Edited July 17, 2016 by WhiteLily
Guest Posted July 18, 2016 Posted July 18, 2016 20 hours ago, WhiteLily said: If we don't know ourselves, it will be very difficult to love God and our neighbor as ourselves Good point.
Benedictus Posted July 30, 2016 Posted July 30, 2016 On 03/07/2016 at 2:02 AM, Aragon said: Hi all, I am sorry to use this forum to vent but I don't really know who else I could tell in my real life who would understand this situation. If any of you remember from my previous posts I experience same sex attraction and returned to the Church this year. My country is currently holding their elections and last night I was out having drinks with a friend from church, his friend (also from our church) and a secular friend of mine. We were talking about the election and I mentioned I cast my vote for the more conservative party and my secular friend (who knows I am Catholic but is kind of oblivious to what all that means) said "how could you vote for x? You're gay!" My church friend knows this and is okay with it, but the other guy from church didn't. It was awkward for a bit and the conversation moved on but after fifteen minutes the guy I don't know from church left kind of suddenly. This morning I was asking my friend why he left early and it turns out he was uncomfortable being around me because of my sexual attractions and (quoting my friend who was quoting this other guy) "I'd prefer not to spend my Saturday night in that type of company". I know that this one person's behaviour isn't a reflection on the entire Church, but I'm just feeling pretty lousy at the moment and would appreciate your prayers. The guy was wrong. I'd pray for him and move on. It's not your problem, it's his. It's their loss. He could have equally walked off once your voting preferences were known because people have triggers or objections for anything and everything, whatever. You're living life and trying your best with it. Don't let others pull you down unfairly. Doesn't the saying go though that you should avoid politics, religion and sex in general conversation
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now