An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habit but no veil

DominiCanis

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

The critics should join a convent and show them how it's done!

rotfl   ..........   :like2:

Out of props again, consider yourself propped, Quasar. 

2 hours ago, Quasar said:

Here are a couple of nuns from a Poor Clare O.S.C. community that wears no veil.  I think it's nicely done (you may have to enlarge)    http://www.poorclaresminneapolis.org/category/st-clare-of-assisi-at-santa-clara-university-ca/ .

And here's how one of the veiled O.S.C. Communities does it: http://omahapoorclare.org/meet-the-sisters/

Personal reaction: I thought that the OSC Minneapolis looked just as 'nun' like without the veil as the OSC in Omaha with veil. (I got under the prop radar with the above quote)

As long as we're on the subject of veils, can any religious describe how the veil is closed in the back at the nape of the neck under the drop of the veil?  Ties?  Hooks?  Velcro?  Could you post a photo of the underside of your veil?  Do veils have an added comb on the underside of the top to catch the hair to better anchor it in place?  Is the shaped form under the veil at the crown made of buckram?

Edited by Swami Mommy

4 hours ago, Swami Mommy said:

As long as we're on the subject of veils, can any religious describe how the veil is closed in the back at the nape of the neck under the drop of the veil?  Ties?  Hooks?  Velcro?  Could you post a photo of the underside of your veil?  Do veils have an added comb on the underside of the top to catch the hair to better anchor it in place?  Is the shaped form under the veil at the crown made of buckram?

Swami...I loved wearing my former community's Franciscan veil (so symbolic & practical!).  The "shaped form" was a light weight mesh, white poly half-cap (with a built-in plastic headband) to which we attached the veil with pins.  This helped keep one's hair (most of the time) looking pulled-back & neat.  After putting this on--we pulled the veil back to the nape of the neck & attached with small velcro pads.  Some sisters used straight pins (dangerous, but gave a nice snug fit).  Before the commercially-made caps, they created their own out of the curved part of bleach bottle containers! 

13 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

A religious sister once told me that historically speaking, all women who were consecrated wore a veil.  Is that accurate? I'm just curious.

Historically speaking, wearing some kind of head covering was much more normal than it is nowadays, both for European women and men.

Vermeer.jpg

My grandmother, born in the year 1918, used to wear a veil like this, especially on windy days:

oude-vrouw-met-hoofddoek-13799038.jpg

22 hours ago, nikita92 said:

Also...I deal with thousands of cruise ship passengers from all over the world!  Female lesbian couples usually have one partner that has the "manly" haircut more often than not! 

I do not see what this has got to do with it.

)I think veils are a part of the (full) habit! There is a meaning behind doing so!

I was first exposed" to "sisters" in the 1960's as a young girl! That is w.

1 hour ago, DominiCanis said:

Historically speaking, wearing some kind of head covering was much more normal than it is nowadays, both for European women and men.

Vermeer.jpg

My grandmother, born in the year 1918, used to wear a veil like this, especially on windy days:

oude-vrouw-met-hoofddoek-13799038.jpg

I do not see what this has got to do with it.

hat impressed on my mind from the get go! 

Now as a mature middle aged woman...wearing "veils" is what I identify women religious having; and what I am attracted to! Take two women of the same age...one is in a "full"habit and the other is in some sort of polyester skirt/blouse..pantsuit (sporting a shortest haircut) and turn them around and look at them ONLY from the back! Take two men and ask them to identify which one they THINK is a woman religious! Which one do you think they would choose first??!

Take the skirted/blouse one and have her put on a very short veil...try it again...which do you think the men would select? Most likely BOTH of them!

Also...I deal with thousands of cruise ship passengers from all over the world!  Female lesbian couples usually have one partner that has the "manly" haircut more often than not! 

Just voicing my Prerogative!

I apologize in advance if I have upset or insulted anyone!

DC- This topic also contained posts mentioning Short, manly style haircuts..and various posters added just because a females sported that style/type of cut, doesnt mean that person is not feminine. My example as I have observed; was what you read.

3 hours ago, Pia Jesu said:

Swami...I loved wearing my former community's Franciscan veil (so symbolic & practical!).  The "shaped form" was a light weight mesh, white poly half-cap (with a built-in plastic headband) to which we attached the veil with pins.  This helped keep one's hair (most of the time) looking pulled-back & neat.  After putting this on--we pulled the veil back to the nape of the neck & attached with small velcro pads.  Some sisters used straight pins (dangerous, but gave a nice snug fit).  Before the commercially-made caps, they created their own out of the curved part of bleach bottle containers! 

Thanks, Pia Jesu!  So, I'm assuming then that the shaped form was covered in white fabric and THAT was the part that had the Velcro pads, right?  Was it washable?  I imagine it could get pretty sweaty in the summertime under that cap!  Was the veil part that was attached to the cap just a rectangular length of fabric?

The "shaped form" or cap was made out of a hand-washable, comfortably stiff white mesh.  The velcro pads were sewn onto the rectangular veil itself (which, like I said, was attached to the white cap with pins).  So, the last thing you did was pull the sides of the veil to the back of your hairline, put the velcro together--and you were done! 

Our habit and veils were polyester...and yes, very hot in the summer! :( We all had short hair! 

Sponsa-Christi
14 minutes ago, Pia Jesu said:

Our habit and veils were polyester...and yes, very hot in the summer! :( We all had short hair! 

Just curious, why polyester? Why not something that would breathe a bit better?

Swami...you can see a picture of the cap at http://www.wrightscatalog.com (click on "Catalog and Ordering").  It's a PDF so takes a bit to load.  Check out Item #502, Plain Frame Mesh Cap.

5 minutes ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

Just curious, why polyester? Why not something that would breathe a bit better?

Wow...lots of posts today!  Years ago, lightweight polyester was very popular for clothing because of its durability, easy laundering, no ironing, etc.  The problem was, as you said, it didn't breathe!  Nice in the winter, but not during hot summer days.  The cotton slip we wore underneath the habit would be soaked with perspiration--and some of us had the misfortune of having panty hose (which we also wore) explode!!! :sad:

Sponsa-Christi
12 minutes ago, Pia Jesu said:

Years ago, lightweight polyester was very popular for clothing because of its durability, easy laundering, no ironing, etc.  The problem was, as you said, it didn't breathe!  Nice in the winter, but not during hot summer days.  The cotton slip we wore underneath the habit would be soaked with perspiration--and some of us had the misfortune of having panty hose (which we also wore) explode!!! :sad:

Ugh, that sounds worse than a hair shirt! :(

Enlighten me, please :)  What exactly is exploding pantyhose?!  In all the years I've worn them, I'm pretty sure I haven't been the victim of spontaneous explosions due to increased heat and humidity   TEE HEE

44 minutes ago, Francis Clare said:

Enlighten me, please :)  What exactly is exploding pantyhose?!  In all the years I've worn them, I'm pretty sure I haven't been the victim of spontaneous explosions due to increased heat and humidity   TEE HEE

There IS an explanation, of sorts!  Our community purchased large quantities of L'eggs (a pantyhose brand) "seconds" or nylons deemed--in some way--defective.  The spontaneous explosions usually occurred in the non-airconditioned chapel (mid-day) during Rosary & Benediction.  The summer heat & humidity under those polyester habits was tremendous.  God surely forgave us when it (not a pretty picture) happened...but we'd humbly walk out with spider web-like shards of black hose hanging from our legs.  We had some great laughs about it at recreation! 

Please know that I consider wearing a religious habit to be a beautiful witness to our Faith.  In no way...did my experiences (sigh!) change that...

20 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Personal reaction: I thought that the OSC Minneapolis looked just as 'nun' like without the veil as the OSC in Omaha with veil. (I got under the prop radar with the above quote)

I'm glad it's not just me! :-)

Edited by Quasar

Totally Franciscan
10 hours ago, Pia Jesu said:

BLEACH BOTTLE CONTAINERS !!!  Wow, did that bring back memories.  Our postulant veil was made from those bottles with a black filmy veil attached.  The white band was worn in pill box fashion with bobby pins to hold it in place.  We had a veil for Sundays, which was much fancier,  and another one for weekdays.  Thanks for the reminder, Pia Jesu!