Rebirth flame Posted June 29, 2004 Posted June 29, 2004 k, i got a question for y'all! when some people say they have patron saints, like them personally, what do they mean? is it like they ask for that Saint's intercession all the time, or what? Do you "pick" your Patron Saint? does any of this even make sense...? lol if i'm confusing anyone, lemme know, and i'll try to clarify... this question is easy to see in my head, but difficult to place in words... thanx and God Bless!
MorphRC Posted June 29, 2004 Posted June 29, 2004 I use to understand it as a sort of 'Protector' thats ascribed to you, for help, benefit, support etc.
Rebirth flame Posted June 29, 2004 Author Posted June 29, 2004 isn't that a guardian angel, tho...? i'm just confused, i guess...
MorphRC Posted June 29, 2004 Posted June 29, 2004 That what I was gonna to say, but I dont know if the guardian angel is just a sort of mini-belief or a full belief...i was never told, and never really bothered learning it, to busy with manuscript study.. Ill see what New Advent says
MorphRC Posted June 29, 2004 Posted June 29, 2004 [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11562a.htm"]New Advent - Patron Saints[/url] [color=blue][font="Times"][b]Patron Saints[/b][/color][/font] A patron is one who has been assigned by a venerable tradition, or chosen by election, as a special intercessor with God and the proper advocate of a particular locality, and is honoured by clergy and people with a special form of religious observance. The term "patron", being wider in its meaning than that of "titular", may be applied to a church, a district, a country, or a corporation. The word "titular" is applied only to the patron of a church or institution. Both the one and the other, according to the legislation now in force, must have the rank of a canonized saint. [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11562a.htm"]FULL TEXT - Over 15 Pages[/url]
MorphRC Posted June 29, 2004 Posted June 29, 2004 [b]Catholic Pages.Com Articles[/b] [url="http://www.domestic-church.com/CONTENT.DCC/19980101/ARTICLES/PATRONS.HTM"]Patron Saints by Catherine Fournier Some saints are known to have a particular affinity or interest for intercession. A list of patron saints and their 'specialty.' [/url] [url="http://www.catholic-pages.com/dir/saints.asp"]Catholic-Pages.Com - Saints Index/Articles/Multimedia/Audio & More...[/url] They should help
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote]Mine is St. Francis [/quote] I almost chose St. Frances for Confirmation, but pretty much everyone else in my class used him (one of the few saints they had actually heard of ), so I chose Peter since it was pretty much a tie anyway, and I couldn't use both!
Maddalena Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Mine is St. Mary Magdalene but I don't really know what I'd ask her to intercede for. o_O;; She's the patron saint of repentant prostitutes.
StColette Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:31 PM'] I almost chose St. Frances for Confirmation, but pretty much everyone else in my class used him (one of the few saints they had actually heard of ), so I chose Peter since it was pretty much a tie anyway, and I couldn't use both! [/quote] lol I know He is picked a lot, my confirmation name was St. Louise, but St. Francis is my patron because He is patron to Animals and I'm studyin to be a Vet.
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Awesome, I have always liked animals. My sister is actually thinking about being a vet, but she's only 13 so she has some time to think.
StColette Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:37 PM'] Awesome, I have always liked animals. My sister is actually thinking about being a vet, but she's only 13 so she has some time to think. [/quote] lol she may be stubborn like I am, I told my parents at age 7 that I was going to be a Vet.
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Wow, I told mine last August that I was going to be a musician, but by May I had considered everything from the priesthood to a rock star (not the kind of musician I had origionally thought). Now I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for money.
StColette Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:43 PM'] Wow, I told mine last August that I was going to be a musician, but by May I had considered everything from the priesthood to a rock star (not the kind of musician I had origionally thought). Now I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for money. [/quote] one of my college Professors told me that on average a college student will change their major three to four times before they graduate lol
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now