let_go_let_God Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 St. Joan of Arc has been a very good saint for me. I found out somewhere *and I can't remember where* that one of my prayers that I use was one that she used, and from her I chose my Confirmation saint, St. Catherine of Alexandria.
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 I've heard that too, but I just want to decide so that I can graduate and actually start doing something, but oh well, God has a plan I'm sure, and I'm sure He will reveal it when it's time for me to know.
qfnol31 Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:10 PM'] Mine is St. Peter too! Also my Confirmation name [/quote] Happy feast day!
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Thanks, you too, although you're about 50 minutes late for where I am!
let_go_let_God Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:48 PM'] I've heard that too, but I just want to decide so that I can graduate and actually start doing something, but oh well, God has a plan I'm sure, and I'm sure He will reveal it when it's time for me to know. [/quote] That's true. One of my friends who is a priest told me that [quote]God has a plan for you, in which He will give it to you. In his time. Now, your timing is most likely off from His, but His plan will come to you.[/quote]
WillT Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote]God has a plan for you, in which He will give it to you. In his time. Now, your timing is most likely off from His, but His plan will come to you.[/quote] That's what I keep thinking, and it really does help! I tell you what, those priests sure give good advice!
Rebirth flame Posted June 30, 2004 Author Posted June 30, 2004 ok, my confirmation saint is Saint Matthew the Apostle, so that's kewl... oh, and this is cool, i found out that my family has a patron saint as well (olde world tradition), and ours is Saint Anthony!!! Woot! he's my man! i never realized that we had a patron saint, but i asked my parents (coincidentally, their names are Anthony and Antoinette, and go by Tony and Toni) and they both told me that our patron was Saint Anthony! He's awesome! He always helps me find things that i'm missin! i have a craaaazy story about a cell phone i lost that should never have been found but was cuz of Saint Anthony, but i won't go there... unless there is demand for the story... Saints are sooo cool! God rocks, man! pax Christi! rebirth
StColette Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 ooooooooh Rebirth tell the story pleeaaaassseeee ! lol I ask St. Anthony to find my truck keys all the time. lol
Claudine Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 My Saint is most def!!!! [b]Saint [/b][b]PolyCarp[/b]
Rebirth flame Posted June 30, 2004 Author Posted June 30, 2004 *sigh* (as though rebirth really didn't wanna tell the story, but in all actuallity, he really[i] did...[/i]) ok, well, i was goin to mass w/ a friend of mine, and i had my cell phone in my pocket... (this was about 4 days ago) I always turn off my phone b4 mass, cuz i greatly dislike when it starts ringin' during the concecration or anything... it's annoying... so there's seemingly nothing special with that, but just wait... after mass, my friend and i went to IHop... when i got in the restaurant, i patted my pocket to pull out my phone and turn it back on, but it wasn't in my pocket!!! so i'm freakin out, and my friend told me it was prolly just layin in her car... but it wasn't, i went out and checked... so i figured that it just probably fell out of my pocket at Church, and instead of running all the way back out to the Church we went to, i decided to leave it in God's Hands and let a good samariatan find it and give the home number a call... and thus i go home, and am just chillin out for a while. then another one of my friends comes by my house, and i'm recounting the cell phone story to him, and a random thought comes to mind: "what if your phone is in your room...?" i almost immediately brushed aside the thought, cuz the last time i had [i]seen[/i] my phone, i was in my friends car, so there's [i]no possible way [/i]it could have been in my room... but i go back to my room anyways... as i'm walkin back there, i say (rather loudly) "Saint Anthony, man, i [i]need[/i] to find this phone!!!" after i said that, i heard my friend say, "yeah right, dude, yur never gonna see it again!!!" and so i enter my room, and, sure enough, it isn't on my bed, the one place it would be had it been in my room. and as i turn to leave, my eyes are drawn to something on my dresser: my cell phone! as soon as i found it, i started shouting, "dude, Saint Anthony, you're my MAN!!!! Praise God!!!" and my friend couldn't believe i found it! to tell u the truth, i can't believe i found it, cuz there is litterally no possible way it could have been in my room! it is a Saint Anthony miracle!!! Praise God! ~rebirth
crusader1234 Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Hmm, I'd say I use St. Anthony the most as an intercessor because I lose everything (including my rosary ) I use Mary as my intercessor on more important thigns because I think my rosaries are the most important you know? I dont know really who my favourite saint is, but I've got lots of time. I can't remember my confirmation saint and it was only a year ago... thats bad eh? I dont even know if we DID confirmation saints. I guess mind would be St. Richard de Wyche by default?
MorphRC Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='Rebirth flame' date='Jun 30 2004, 02:57 AM'] shweeet, thanx MorphRC! [/quote] np
MorphRC Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 My Confirm. name was James. Patron saint was Joan D'Arc
qfnol31 Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 [quote name='WillT' date='Jun 29 2004, 11:50 PM'] Thanks, you too, although you're about 50 minutes late for where I am! [/quote] It's not over 'till you do night prayer, at bedtime. Remember, Church doesn't go by our time.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 (edited) [quote name='StColette' date='Jun 30 2004, 12:45 AM'] one of my college Professors told me that on average a college student will change their major three to four times before they graduate lol [/quote] LOL Thats my husband! Once I had a major picked out thats what I stuck with. I think people "adopt" different saints for patrons for different reasons. Like, since I am a mother I have Sts. Anne, Gerard Majella, and Monica as patrons. But I also have my name saints (take your pick of Katherines and Raymonds--my middle name is Rae), my Confirmation patron Maria Goretti, and then other saints I have "adopted" because they have special meaning to me (two saints I love very much are St. Jude patron of lost causes among other things, and St. Dymphna patron of those with mental disorders among other things--she has been my favorite saint since I was a little girl.) PS--I really like this link for looking up patron saints because you can look by both name and topic. [url="http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/indexsnt.htm"]http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/indexsnt.htm[/url] Edited June 30, 2004 by IcePrincessKRS
Maddalena Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 (edited) Well, since everyone else is posting info about theie patron saint, I thought I would, too. :3 This is copied and pasted from [url="http://catholic.org/"]Catholic Online[/url]: [quote]Feastday: July 22 She is called "the Penitent". St. Mary was given the name 'Magdalen' because, though a Jewish girl, she lived in a Gentile town called Magdale, in northern Galilee, and her culture and manners were those of a Gentile. St. Luke records that she was a notorious sinner, and had seven devils removed from her. She was present at Our Lords' Crucifixion, and with Joanna and Mary, the mother of James and Salome, at Jesus' empty tomb. Fourteen years after Our Lord's death, St. Mary was put in a boat by the Jews without sails or oars - along with Sts. Lazarus and Martha, St. Maximin (who baptized her), St. Sidonius ("the man born blind"), her maid Sera, and the body of St. Anne, the mother of the Blessed Virgin. They were sent drifting out to sea and landed on the shores of Southern France, where St. Mary spent the rest of her life as a contemplative in a cave known as Sainte-Baume. She was given the Holy Eucharist daily by angels as her only food, and died when she was 72. St. Mary was transported miraculously, just before she died, to the chapel of St. Maximin, where she received the last sacraments. [/quote] Edited June 30, 2004 by Maddalena
MorphRC Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 Are many of the Saints names, originated from where they live or parts of their lives?
StColette Posted June 30, 2004 Posted June 30, 2004 usually some part of their name will describe the location or place where they were from.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now