Sign in to follow this  
Delivery

Catholic Tan Books

Delivery

Man racism is a vile sin. And so ingrained in people and religion. The same people who put out/use books like this are the same ones who will harp on sexual sin and how their Mass is better. And how they never receive in the hand and people who do have no reverence. Blah Blah Blah yet they are fine with **** like this lol. It's actually crazy. How difficult is it to convince yourself racism is evil? You don't need the Bible or any religion to figure it out. I mean depending how you interpret the Bible you may think it supports your racist views. Or if you only look at certain time periods in the Church when they supported slavery you may think that also supports your racist views. But forget religion. Forget the Bible. You really can't figure out with your own common sense that racism is evil? You really believe a whole race of people is evil because some story in the Bible says they decended from Ham? And Catholic publications put out literature supporting it with commentary? Think for yourself. Break away from the racist's.

Edited by Delivery

Seven77

I'm a little lost – – couldn't really follow what it's about. What did the commentary say? Something about Noah's son, Ham, who was cursed? I know that there is a racist explanation by… racists. But what does the Catholic commentary in question say?

Delivery
9 minutes ago, Seven77 said:

I'm a little lost – – couldn't really follow what it's about. What did the commentary say? Something about Noah's son, Ham, who was cursed? I know that there is a racist explanation by… racists. But what does the Catholic commentary in question say?

The commentary from the Catholic Archbishop describes how black people are from the curse of Ham. He states that their way of living is very barbaric and they are very difficult to convert. And they are sunk in the lowest of positions because of the curse.

This was put out recently after other texts on other subjects were edited. But this is how the publication still feels on that topic.

Edited by Delivery

Luigi
3 hours ago, Delivery said:

3 hours ago, Delivery said:

FB_IMG_1581816349476.jpg

This is basically the same talk my dad had with me when I was about 14. He also added that I shouldn't call him to go my bail. I've never been arrested. My four brothers have all been arrested. They called Dad, and Dad threw their bail. 

Edited by Luigi
Quoted the wrong source text - sorry!

Vin

The myth of Ham's descendents being African people began, I believe, in protestant slave trading circles. look up St. Augustine's interpretation. Great article archived at the Wilson Quarterly, Race the History of an idea in the West by Ivan Hannaford. The Bishop Author of this commentary may have been effected by German protestant eisegesis, May have been an ambient explanation at the time. 

Seven77

I've heard this type of thing before I'm quite surprised it appears here as well. Ham is the father of the Egyptians… While they were enemies of Israel, they were redeemed and converted after the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. St. Mark evangelized Egypt and there have been great Egyptian saints. The curse of Ham doesn't even exist anymore.(or curse on Canaan… The Canaanites come from him as well.)

Just took a solid Old Testament class and there was nothing remotely like that racist claim.

Also, I don't think that this book represents Tan as a whole. Do they really publish it still?

Edited by Seven77

little2add

The old testament contain many ills.  That is why Catholics only follow and heed the New Testament. 

Seven77
3 minutes ago, little2add said:

The old testament contain many ills.  That is why Catholics only follow and heed the New Testament. 

That's not really accurate to say. The Old Testament is interpreted in light of the New. But we certainly don't disregard it.  That is a heresy. More accurate to say that we are not bound by the laws of the old covenant, they were ratified and perfected in Christ… Fulfilled as he says in today's Gospel from Matthew.

Kateri89
On 2/15/2020 at 7:00 AM, Delivery said:

Man racism is a vile sin. And so ingrained in people and religion. The same people who put out/use books like this are the same ones who will harp on sexual sin and how their Mass is better. And how they never receive in the hand and people who do have no reverence. Blah Blah Blah yet they are fine with **** like this lol. It's actually crazy. How difficult is it to convince yourself racism is evil? You don't need the Bible or any religion to figure it out. I mean depending how you interpret the Bible you may think it supports your racist views. Or if you only look at certain time periods in the Church when they supported slavery you may think that also supports your racist views. But forget religion. Forget the Bible. You really can't figure out with your own common sense that racism is evil? You really believe a whole race of people is evil because some story in the Bible says they decended from Ham? And Catholic publications put out literature supporting it with commentary? Think for yourself. Break away from the racist's.

I totally agree with you that this is clearly racist and never should’ve been believed, let alone published.  That being said, why are you maligning a whole group of people as racist for what one Archbishop said and one book company did not edit out?  That was a thinly veiled insult.  This is something that frustrates me in modern discourse.  Someone says or does something bad and we immediately cast them and anyone remotely associated with them as totally bad.  I pray that we can be firm against sin but more merciful toward one another.  The better thing to do would be to contact TAN and speak with them, asking how they could’ve left this in one of their books and how it made the final edit.  If they ignore you or act dismissively, then by all means make stuff like this public knowledge so that they realize how sinful and hurtful it is.