Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

*teen4Christ*
Posted

ok in the masses do the kids still goup on the altar?

ilovechrist
Posted

no they do not. Vatican has told them not to.

let_go_let_God
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 26 2004, 07:52 AM'] For all you lovers of Lifeteen I have a question.

What happens when you have to go to normal Masses like the rest of us? Where the music can be insipid, the homily can totally irrelevant, and the whole thing sort of blah and you don't "get" anytrhing out of it?

[...]

Are kids who have gone thru the Lifeteen feel goodies going to be able to exercise their Catholic will when its not fun anymore? [/quote]
Normal mass, yes, it can be boring, irrelevant, and just "blah" as you have described it, and I know exactly where you are coming from. I have always thought of Lifeteen as a "perk." I enjoyed going to Lifeteen and was totally bummed out when it went on summer break. Then my parents started telling me I couldn't go every week like I had been and it hurt.

Lifeteen for me was more than a high spirited mass, where it felt like the priests wanted the homily to apply to you, and the ability to feel more connected in the mass, I learned through Lifeteen that there was more to mass for me. There was a sense of unity that I hadn't found before. At Lifeteen I was surrounded by friends and people who understood who I am. They knew I was there, searching for something more and to meet up with my friends. At Lifeteen I felt like I really belonged at mass, but when I would go to mass at home, I didn't feel that belonging for a while. I went because it was an obligation and because I knew that I would recieve Jesus through Communion. It wasn't for a while that I realized I was "letting go" more at Lifeteen mass than I would back home, and if I would "let go" of everything that was holding me back at mass, no matter where it was, I would enjoy mass, no matter where I went and how "blah" things got.

As for an answer to your question, it depends on the person. Some people I know enjoyed regular mass more than Life Teen, but there are others who enjoy Life Teen more than regular.

My .02

--LGLG--

*teen4Christ*
Posted

Thats awesome!! That they dont n-e more!!

livingHimloud
Posted

my church does lifeteen and i think it's great! the same creed i've been saying all my life is said during mass. i think it meets a lot of teens where they're at and gets them more involved in their faith. and of course eventually you're going to want to go deeper into your faith and that's awsome and amazing and you should, and maybe lifeteen itself doesn't go there for you, but it gets you started.

*teen4Christ*
Posted

thats really cool!! I will have to look into lifeteen

ilovechrist
Posted

i'm hoping our parish can do the same!

*teen4Christ*
Posted

so you dont do life teen? Or do you do it at another church

ilovechrist
Posted

we do not.

we're attempting to convince our Priest to allow us to.

let_go_let_God
Posted

For me it was about an hour and a half drive to Lifeteen for a typical 45 min drive for me alone. Most likely because I picked up friends of mine with in a 30 mile radius. To go to Lifeteen my Youth Minister has fit six of us in the car when I haven't been able to drive some of them. So it was a cramped ride for some, a sacrifice for others, eh it was worth it.

Although, there are things that have tested my faith and my friends faith after Lifeteen. Like one night afterward my YM was driving and along with two friends and me, we spun out into the ditch. Could have been a bad wreck, but God and His angels were looking out for us.

ilovechrist
Posted

double wow....
that's quite a commitment!

*teen4Christ*
Posted

i'll say!!

let_go_let_God
Posted

Well, the only people who could usually go that had a vehicle was me and my YM so rather than being selfish and going alone, I shared my blessing and drove. My mom wasn't happy though, because I never asked for gas money.

geetarplayer
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 26 2004, 09:52 AM']For all you lovers of Lifeteen I have a question.

What happens when you have to go to normal Masses like the rest of us? Where  the music can be insipid, the homily can totally irrelevant, and the whole thing sort of blah and you don't "get" anytrhing out of it?

I really worry about all the people who have outgrown the lifeteen program. Are they going to stay Catholic or are they so addicted to the "feel" of lifeteen Masses they leave the Church for the new generic  christian feel-good services?

Many Generic christians go to church because it feels good, its not a Sunday obligation to them.  Catholics go to Mass because if you don't you have committed a mortal sin. So on any given Sunday, you will find some  Catholics at Mass not because they are happy to be there, but because it is an obligation and an act of will. They are obedient even when they don't feel good about it.

Everyone goes thru spiritual dryness, sometimes for years. Mother Teresa went thru it for 20 -3- YEARS when she got NO spiritual consolations at all.

Are kids who have gone thru the Lifeteen feel goodies going to be able to exercise their Catholic will when its not fun anymore?[/quote]
Very good question cmom. I personally have taken what LifeTeen taught me about the Mass and the Eucharist and have gotten to the point where I am going to daily Mass and I can get the same out of it as I can at a LifeTeen Mass. I even went this morning with my mother and sister, and the only time there was any music was when we sang the Alleluia a capella for the Gospel! But even though it wasn't a LifeTeen Mass, I wasn't squirming with boredom or constantly watching the clock. Maybe that's just me, though. :)

And by the way, ilovechrist... I was with the group that was quite possibly the largest Florida group there... the one that had a different uniform t-shirt for every day. :cool:

-Mark

HomeTeamFamily
Posted

i hope this has not turned into another LT debate thread

from what i have heard from our YM through Msgr Dale is that both of large "abuses" are to be completely discontinued as of Oct 1st at the latest; these being the altar gather and the alternate ending

as for the music, i believe there is a similar thread in the muzik lounge about this but in our parish we have a band that plays at the LT mass but they usually play more traditional music, just with more.....life

i think our parish is uncommon in that it is probably one of the more orthodox LT parishes, from what ive heard.....and we got two new priests that love the mass and are very comitted to orthodoxy so i think that between that and the changes from Rome, the LT program is headed in a good direction

btw.....thats awesome that you want to be a YM for it......i am on the summer core team because i am still in college so if you want to chat about LT as far as ministry goes, PM me sometime and we can discuss it

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 26 2004, 06:52 AM'] For all you lovers of Lifeteen I have a question.

What happens when you have to go to normal Masses like the rest of us? Where the music can be insipid, the homily can totally irrelevant, and the whole thing sort of blah and you don't "get" anytrhing out of it?

I really worry about all the people who have outgrown the lifeteen program. Are they going to stay Catholic or are they so addicted to the "feel" of lifeteen Masses they leave the Church for the new generic christian feel-good services?

Many Generic christians go to church because it feels good, its not a Sunday obligation to them. Catholics go to Mass because if you don't you have committed a mortal sin. So on any given Sunday, you will find some Catholics at Mass not because they are happy to be there, but because it is an obligation and an act of will. They are obedient even when they don't feel good about it.

Everyone goes thru spiritual dryness, sometimes for years. Mother Teresa went thru it for 20 -3- YEARS when she got NO spiritual consolations at all.

Are kids who have gone thru the Lifeteen feel goodies going to be able to exercise their Catholic will when its not fun anymore? [/quote]
i'm sorry to call you on this Cmom but i don't think you can generalize the LIFE TEEN program. I think there's LIFE TEEN at St. Tim's, parishes like St. Tim's, parishes who try to be like St. Tim's, and parishes who use parts of the LT model and tweak it to be not so based on emotions. i'm a youth minister of the latter.

the reason why i say this is because i was challenged in my faith as a college student by a LIFE TEEN program. but this program was unlike the "St. Tim's" LIFE TEEN program.

I think you are correct in sayng that the model of LIFE TEEN has its flaws. in my humble opinion LIFE TEEN has some great, sound, orthodox catechesis happening with great development of teens on other levels. (i.e., the discipleship training outline they provide...and not the one they do at notre dame which i don't care for). i also believe that the LIFE TEEN model is weak at forming the teens' prayer life. i agree that it is too focused on the emotion without introduction to the various forms of prayer that help us to draw into deeper contemplation and centering of the self on Christ and not emotion or the ego.

but as i've said before, there's no use in posting in these threads that come up every month or so and complain and complain while not trying to do something about it. and trust me, you don't have to be the youth minister to do something about it. i have alot of people who support me taking the LT model and making it more reverent and with greater depth in prayer...and that helps alot!!!

Cmom, no personal attack on you but i just had to call out this hasty generalization because not all LT programs are like St. Tim's...

*teen4Christ*
Posted

OMG I just saw that I am an Alien!! YAY!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...