Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where did everyone go?


Recommended Posts

VeniteAdoremus
Posted

This is, I think, the beauty and also the difficulty of being a world church. We all come from different cultures and different religious histories. 
 

I feel lucky that my archbishop has a double doctorate in theology and medical ethics and has written a lot about how we should relate to medical and scientific advances. (His name is Cardinal Eijk, I think you’ll like him.) Some things are eternal and some things change because our scientific vision changes. I’m thinking of stuff like organ donation, which some Christians are still hesitant about because of the resurrection of the body, but I would see as a net positive that has done much good. Regardless of the outcome, I think we should engage with, for example, the fact that some people are biologically intersex. I’m very interested to see how this will influence our view on other topics. I will adhere to whatever is the outcome, even if I disagree. But I’m very happy to live in a place where we can talk about it in the first place. 

Posted
5 hours ago, VeniteAdoremus said:

This is, I think, the beauty and also the difficulty of being a world church. We all come from different cultures and different religious histories. 
 

I feel lucky that my archbishop has a double doctorate in theology and medical ethics and has written a lot about how we should relate to medical and scientific advances. (His name is Cardinal Eijk, I think you’ll like him.) Some things are eternal and some things change because our scientific vision changes. I’m thinking of stuff like organ donation, which some Christians are still hesitant about because of the resurrection of the body, but I would see as a net positive that has done much good. Regardless of the outcome, I think we should engage with, for example, the fact that some people are biologically intersex. I’m very interested to see how this will influence our view on other topics. I will adhere to whatever is the outcome, even if I disagree. But I’m very happy to live in a place where we can talk about it in the first place. 

There are a lot of areas where the deposit of faith is undefined. There is very little teaching on trans or intersex or gender issues. However, some things are defined. Pope Benedict once said, the teaching that women can't be priests is infallibly defined, requires the definitive assent of the faithful, and anyone denying that doctrine "would no longer be in full Communion with the Catholic Church" ie shouldn't present themselves for the Eucharist.  The discussion on women priests, other than to aid those in the struggle to believe, is over. 

The teaching against supporting secular gay "unions" is a prudential judgment one can disagree with, even while assenting.  But when you said you think the sacrament of marriage should be open to gay couples, that is another matter. Do you hope or expect the Church's engagement with trans issues to alter the apostolic teaching on the nature of the Trinity I wonder?  Or the teaching re: physical Ressurection? They are in the same category of untouchable stuff. Discussion of that "stuff" to aid understanding is great, seeking discussion of that stuff to make a change is an indication of broken faith and communion. 

What does it mean, for a Christian to assent or "adhere," as you say, to Christianity? It does not mean saying or doing X "even though I disagree." No. Christianity is not a law based religion, it is a Credo.  Faithful Catholicism is not faithful practice of a law but faithful belief. Belief. We must "agree."

The culture issue comes into play because some cultures make it difficult to embrace Christianity.  I can't imagine what it is like in your country, with the reputation the Church has. No doubt many or even most bishops there, if they do not say so outloud, believe in their hearts that the sacrament of marriage should be opened to gay couples, women should be priests, contraception and abortion are ok. (That is why the Church is dying out in the West because Chistianity is not being proposed by actual Christians - true believers. ) 

I hope you stick around phatmass... pray for me please

 

The Bus Station
Posted

Hi. dUSt emailed me so I am here to say that I went to a Benedictine monastery and am still there (i.e. here), currently in formation. Thankful for the many good times I had here back in the day. Learned a lot. Laughed a lot. Avoided Winchester a lot.

If anyone knows what happened to T-Bone, I am listening.

Posted

What is this email that people are talking about?  It makes me wonder if I should sign up someplace for an email account.

Posted

Fallen away phatmassers got an email (mine in particular, asking if I am still alive).  If you remained active you probably will not get one. *shrugs*

PaxCordisJesu
Posted

I also got an email from dUSt asking if I am still alive, and to join the conversation. I've only been on Phatmass for about 3 months, though. Was there another person with a similar name to PaxCordisJesu?

Posted

I'm glad that the ones who replied to the email are still alive. Let us now pray that the thousands of souls who did not reply to the email may rest in peace in their eternal rest.

ChildoftheCreator
Posted

Wow, flashback from the past. Got the email and decided to drop in. Loved seeing the updates. Haven't posted since 2009, but have visited a few times to see what is going on. Didn't post too much even back then due to my social anxiety disorder (which is now very well managed, thank goodness). Spent a good chunk of my teen years immersed in the online Catholic community and converted in my early twenties. I was one of those transplants that migrated over here (thanks to Deus_te_amat) when the Lifeteen forum was taken down. I really thought that I was going to join a religious order, but the Lord had another plan for me. Now married with a daughter we adopted from a good friend who had been considering terminating the pregnancy. So happy she didn't because we now have our beautiful baby girl.  Mostly am a stay at home parent now, but do work once a week to be able to get out of the house and interact with some adults. I am much more liberal than I was during high school and college - after doing home visiting for the local health department. I still consider myself to be a Catholic - because of my initiation - but not in the same way I was in my early twenties. More one of those dreaded cafeteria/cultural Catholics. I've been enamored with the Church since the age of five and even with all of the drama caused by the scandals and the liberal vs the conservative Catholics, I just can't walk away. Glad to see updates from all of you and wish blessings on you and yours. Pax.

Posted

I'm still around and I regularly read people's posts, especially in VS, but I rarely post myself now. I had an IRL friend who was also a regular here (faithcecelia, whom many people will remember) and I think her death was the point when I gradually started writing less and less here. It felt too sad. By the time my grief was less acute, my life had changed and I had new online avenues for discussion. But as I said, I'm a phaithful reader and I carry everyone here in my prayers. :)

Posted

Funny to see what one email can do :smile3: I haven't been active here for a year now, and the last thing I posted was an update on me leaving the religious life. I might check more regularly now, there are worse ways to pass lockdown time.

Can somebody remove my "catholic religious" tag? I don't need it anymore, it will only cause confusion :whistle:

Posted
21 hours ago, dUSt said:

I'm glad that the ones who replied to the email are still alive. Let us now pray that the thousands of souls who did not reply to the email may rest in peace in their eternal rest.

we'll also pray for whatever happened to that thing that's on your head

Posted
21 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

we'll also pray for whatever happened to that thing that's on your head

 

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

I want more shirts and stuff. 

Posted
On 8/24/2020 at 11:10 PM, Aloysius said:

now I'm really getting curious who you are haha.  I started around 14/15 years old also and am in my thirties now as well.

anyway I'm actually in a different time zone at the moment, so never assume I'm actually being responsible :P

Good to know you're still finding Christian fellowship.  Some of us Catholics will still keep the light on for you (or the votive candle, as it were) anytime you want to come home.  Even Oscar Wilde had his death bed moment, never say never ;)

Deathbed moments: Reminded my of  St. Therese of Lisieux , The Little Flower- rem there was this terrible criminal, rapist, maybe murderer, ugh.
And he was to have his head cut off publicly. That France!
The story goes she prayed and prayed for him to (i can't rem exactly, but) for him to come to God, repent, let's say...for his soul to be saved.

At the very last moment, he did, :)

In a biography I read -  I highly recommend - such purity. :)

:o)Katherine:o)
Posted

So crazy, I lurked on Phatmass a few days ago and then just discovered the email! I mainly posted in VS. Lived in a discernment home for two years. Still feel a tug towards religious life. However, have a few health issues that need to be worked out so for now that is my focus. I work full time for my diocese and volunteer in several ministries. 

To be honest, I stopped coming around when things became very intense in VS. It is nice to see so many familiar names! 

 

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 8/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, cutenickname said:

Where did everyone go?

I have been on this site off and on since the beginning, though I took a very long break starting in 2013, probably only lurking once a year or so. I do not remember it being so slow. No point asking who I was I have become a new creation as they say. I also seem to remember there being a rosary app thingy and asteroid here, but that might be closer to twenty years than 7. Man I'm old.

Anna? Winchester? Donna? Kilroy? Don John? Hyper? Speechless? Msigga? Iceprincess? Basilissa? Aloysius is still around. Socrates? Ironmonk? Dave? Brother Adam and Theresa? Cmom? Jasjis? 

No matter. It will be sweeter to meet in the Spirit.

 

coming in late but hey. it's been a minute. weird that we're all coming back during this pandemic.

yall i am so mad that i dont check my email. this really is bringing back so many memories. mostly cringe but memories nonetheless. how did yall tolerate me?

Posted

It's been awhile for me as well. I had a different account, but I lost the email to that one. I came here when I was first converting to the Catholic faith, like back in 2013! Gosh, it's been awhile. The chatroom was hilarious. I hope to see some more people return. 

Posted
On 12/3/2020 at 9:09 AM, the171 said:

coming in late but hey. it's been a minute. weird that we're all coming back during this pandemic.

yall i am so mad that i dont check my email. this really is bringing back so many memories. mostly cringe but memories nonetheless. how did yall tolerate me?

Dunno, 171......... same way they tolerate me I guess. 

I read in a text about fraternity that difficult members are sent by The Lord into a community to hone the virtues of members.  Maybe that's it - they're all honing.........that IS honing, not moaning.

Posted
On 12/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, MIKolbe said:

who *are* you?

:(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...