An Old School Catholic Message Board

Am I the only person who actually DISAGREES with Father Altman's video?

HumilityAndPatience

1 hour ago, cutenickname said:

I was Catholic for three decades. I understand the difficulty of the position.

I honestly can't think of a reason to leave the Catholic Church that would also not make me leave Christianity as a whole.

5 hours ago, dUSt said:

If Biden would have picked a pro-life VP I would have voted for him. It would have showed he wasn't a puppet for the Democratic Party.

Abortion rights is their sacred cow and their party would never accept a pro-life politician to be a heartbeat from the presidency. His caving in from party pressure and reversal on the Hyde Amendment last year in particular shows that a puppet is exactly what he is. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/us/politics/joe-biden-hyde-amendment.html

He was no longer willing to just support abortion to stay in good graces with his party, at that point he was now willing to have everyone pay for them, including his fellow Catholics. 

32 minutes ago, dUSt said:

I honestly can't think of a reason to leave the Catholic Church that would also not make me leave Christianity as a whole.

I have watched your witness to Christ for most of my life, yep most of my life. I feel a deep respect for you as my brother in Christ. I believe that the Catholic Church is a mighty bulwark of Christological, Mariological, and Sacramental orthodoxy.

I disagree with most of her propositions on human sexuality (her condemnation of homosexual desire and practice as intrinsically disordered and her condemnation of birth control as incompatible with the Christian view of married sexuality).

I do not believe Christ's maleness was essential to His humanity or that maleness is an essential part of the priestly vocation.

I do not believe in Papal or ecclesiastical infallibility as understood by Rome, though I believe both of these things, my understanding is eccentric and not compatible with Magisterial statements on these matters.

I cannot in conscience agree that my marriage bed is 1) not a marriage bed 2) offensive to God 3) graceless 4) putting my soul or my husband's soul in danger of hellfire.

I do believe that the Divine Logos took flesh in the womb of a Virgin, lived a perfect life, suffered, was humiliated, died a true death, was raised from the dead, ascended into heaven and will come back to judge the living and the dead.

I believe that by baptism men may be incorporated into His Body and receive the Spirit that calls out "Abba/Daddy" to His Father.

I believe that through a living faith in Christ and trust that His Grace is sufficient, I will obtain Heaven and "press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me."

I believe that the Saints (living and dead) are one body called to pray for one another and to love one another in an active and earnest way.

I expect to come up out of the ground one day and find myself in a new and glorified body, and all things made new and beautiful, under the Kingship of the Lord Jesus.

I was baptized into Christ, not into John Paul II, Benedict XVI, or Francis (who refuses to use a regnal number though he should). My hopes were always focused on the Lord Jesus, so when I decided I could not in conscience accept the claims of the Catholic Church, it was sad, it was narrative shattering, and I still mourn the loss; but it never gave rise to even a momentary doubt that Christ is who He says He is and who the Catholic Church taught me He is.

This is not the beginning of a debate, but a statement of my position.

Edited by cutenickname

31 minutes ago, dUSt said:

Same, if I was no longer Catholic I would probably just be an agnostic. 

13 hours ago, cutenickname said:

I have watched your witness to Christ for most of my life, yep most of my life. I feel a deep respect for you as my brother in Christ. I believe that the Catholic Church is a mighty bulwark of Christological, Mariological, and Sacramental orthodoxy.

I disagree with most of her propositions on human sexuality (her condemnation of homosexual desire and practice as intrinsically disordered and her condemnation of birth control as incompatible with the Christian view of married sexuality).

I do not believe Christ's maleness was essential to His humanity or that maleness is an essential part of the priestly vocation.

I do not believe in Papal or ecclesiastical infallibility as understood by Rome, though I believe both of these things, my understanding is eccentric and not compatible with Magisterial statements on these matters.

I cannot in conscience agree that my marriage bed is 1) not a marriage bed 2) offensive to God 3) graceless 4) putting my soul or my husband's soul in danger of hellfire.

I do believe that the Divine Logos took flesh in the womb of a Virgin, lived a perfect life, suffered, was humiliated, died a true death, was raised from the dead, ascended into heaven and will come back to judge the living and the dead.

I believe that by baptism men may be incorporated into His Body and receive the Spirit that calls out "Abba/Daddy" to His Father.

I believe that through a living faith in Christ and trust that His Grace is sufficient, I will obtain Heaven and "press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me."

I believe that the Saints (living and dead) are one body called to pray for one another and to love one another in an active and earnest way.

I expect to come up out of the ground one day and find myself in a new and glorified body, and all things made new and beautiful, under the Kingship of the Lord Jesus.

I was baptized into Christ, not into John Paul II, Benedict XVI, or Francis (who refuses to use a regnal number though he should). My hopes were always focused on the Lord Jesus, so when I decided I could not in conscience accept the claims of the Catholic Church, it was sad, it was narrative shattering, and I still mourn the loss; but it never gave rise to even a momentary doubt that Christ is who He says He is and who the Catholic Church taught me He is.

This is not the beginning of a debate, but a statement of my position.

Sounds like you have your own personal denomination.

2 hours ago, Peace said:

Sounds like you have your own personal denomination.

I am an Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian. My position is by no means unheard of, though it is certainly rarer in 2020 than it was in say 1920.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, cutenickname said:

I am an Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian. My position is by no means unheard of, though it is certainly rarer in 2020 than it was in say 1920.

there were Christian sects in 1920 that were cool with homosexuality?

17 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

there were Christian sects in 1920 that were cool with homosexuality?

It is cute that you think homosexuality occupies the space in my spiritual life and theological thinking that it apparently does in yours.

Presumably the Catholic Church, which per the mantra of "faithful" Catholics, does not and cannot change, was "cool"with homosexuality then as now in terms of it being a disordered inclination towards a moral evil.

But no, there were no Christian sects in 1920 who thought sexual and romantic love between persons of the same sex was "cool." Interestingly, then as now, there was a plethora of Christian sects that taught marrying black people was a sin, physically disciplining your wife was a commandment of Almighty God, slavery was not a disordered institution responsible for the largest forced migration in human history (but a benign evangelistic tool one might be rightly nostalgic for), women voting was a violation of the natural law, and numerous other strange things.

1920 was a wild year. I was clearly referencing my position regarding Papal Primacy, but you be blessed now. The One Just Judge will judge us all.

Edited by cutenickname

4 hours ago, cutenickname said:

Well, I was trying to be agreeable.

then you probably shouldn't start out by saying "I think it's cute that you think."

16 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

then you probably shouldn't start out by saying "I think it's cute that you think."

I am sorry that you experienced my interpretation of your focus on three sentences of a fairly long post as disagreeable. I can't come up with a way of saying what I meant that wouldn't sound disagreeable to you. I could have used words like "silly" or "reductionist," which are things I saw in your response, but those seemed like fighting words that wouldn't have done much besides escalating into a public debate on whether you find my theological reasoning compelling and whether or not the life I believe Christ reached down and gave me when I was suicidal and lonely is a life that is worthy of Him.

Your opinions on these matters do not, in point of fact, interest me and dissecting them and arguing about them could only serve to 1) alienate your heart from mine, which in so far as we both belong to the Lord Jesus, must not be 2) publicly expose how deeply Christians disagree on these things now, which can only serve to make the work of the Lamb Who Was Slain look like foolishness before the eyes of non-believers who scripture says are natural objects of wrath and dead in their sins.

So, I chose to what seemed to me, rightly or wrongly, to be the least *inflammatory response I could manage. Namely dismissing your focus on a small and to my lights unimportant part of what I was saying as "cute."

(*it is of course entirely possible that the only inflammatory response would have been mine, but if I could see such a thing off in the distance I was bound in honor and obedience to my Savior to take a path that didn't seem headed in that direction. Hence: Spiciness.)

• Ash Wednesday changed the title to Am I the only person who actually DISAGREES with Father Altman's video?https://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/150553-am-i-the-only-person-who-actually-disagrees-with-father-altmans-video/
  • Ash Wednesday changed the title to Am I the only person who actually DISAGREES with Father Altman's video?