An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trump's position on the far right

fides' Jack

23 hours ago, Peace said:

Yeah I understood that it was a hypo. It reminded me of that experience of mine, so I asked you about it, being the spokesperson for white America that you are. I didn't mean to make it about you personally.

You can say, for example, "black unemployment has decreased under the Trump administration."  No issues with something like that.

A parent can decide what is good or bad for a child, or what the child's priorities should be, depending on the standard that the parent sets. Once the child becomes an adult, he says "I decide how to live my life for myself, and I decide what is good or bad according to my own standard."

If you say "Trump's policies have been good for black people" that would be paternalistic I think. It would presume, I think, that you can set a standard for what our priorities should be. So, let's say that the unemployment rate is low. That may be all well and good from your perspective, but black people are concerned about folks getting killed by the police (or some other issue, for example).

I mean, with Trump, I don't know exactly, but I am guessing that by now about say 90% of us would say that Trump has not been good president for us. Then a random white person comes along and says "Trump's policies have been great for black Americans. In fact, he has been the greatest president that black America has every had." I think you can see how that would be pretty annoying. It's kind of like a parent speaking to a child who does not know what is good for himself.

Yeah, no issue with looking at specific metrics and saying that black XYZ has increased or decreased under Trump. But in my own (limited) experience that's generally not how the conversation begins. That's not really the vibe I get most of the time.

Yeah, this is more of the issue. Like, if it is your wife, or something like that, someone that you really know or really have a vested interest in, then I think it could be different. But the vibe I really get with it a lot of the times, is kind of like a supervisor speaking to an employee kind of vibe. Or like a smart person speaking to a dunce kind of a vibe. Kind of like the some of the folks at the start of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2LpFkVfYk

Fair. I used to be much more patronizing when I was woke. LIberal arts college education got to me a little bit. Then I started working in the real world and hearing from real folks who don't live in ivory towers and that worldview kind of fell hard.

It's pretty embarrassing on my end. When I word hear Black conservatives and think "oh poor them, they don't realize they're being used."

Yikes, I try not to make such assumptions anymore.

20 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Fair. I used to be much more patronizing when I was woke. LIberal arts college education got to me a little bit. Then I started working in the real world and hearing from real folks who don't live in ivory towers and that worldview kind of fell hard.

It's pretty embarrassing on my end. When I word hear Black conservatives and think "oh poor them, they don't realize they're being used."

Yikes, I try not to make such assumptions anymore.

It's all good. I had my "The white man is the devil" phase of my youth. We all learn and evolve.