An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Community That Never Was (Legitimate)

M. Therese

C Therese

As a previous member of The Servants of the Sacred Cross -SSC. 

I continue to pray for each of the beautiful women . Who came with open hearts, humility, and  genuine love of God. Such kindness and charity among the group. Hopeful and open to be led closer to their beloved Jesus.  Willing hearts open to learn and be guided, and lead. Beautiful trusting women. 

God was among us. This was a true sisterhood . These women were genuine. True seekers of God’s will.

Spiritually I grew deeper in love with my beloved.  All for my Jesus.  Because of these beautiful women & due to the encouragement love and care of each of the sisters in SSC.

I lovingly think of the chapters  attended together. Praying, studying, living in community, and sharing each other’s lives if only for a short moment.

I lovingly think of the many chapters meetings together. Praying, studying, living in community, and sharing each others lives if only for a short moment.

It is my joy praying for wonderful woman of SSC . May God bless them each abundantly.

At the foot of the Cross,

Therese

God bless the women of the servants of the sacred cross. 

Sister Therese

The clearest definition I read that’s far other than the canon themselves. It’s an article under the blessings of being a public association of the faithful.

to quote the article;

various associations of the faithful;

The church recognizes the work of the Holy Spirit among the faithful, inspires various joint efforts to promote the Christian life, in general, and to promote specific aspects of our life in Christ .

The faithful may form associations on their own without any intervention of the church authority. At the same time and association of the faithful, by definition always shows respect for church authority and works to promote the unity and strength as a church life.

What is the difference between a private association of the faithful and a public association of the faithful? A private association exist in virtue of a private agreement among its members. A private association may or may not be recognized by the local church authority, according to the wishes of the members. If the association wishes to be recognized as a private association of a faithful, then it must submit it statutes for review by a competent church authority (canon 299 )

The blessings which come with being a member of a public association of the faithful are the actual grace is given to anyone who dedicates himself or herself more fully to the Apostolate of the church.

Rights and responsibilities;

All associations of the faithful, public and private, must have their own statutes which define the purpose or social objective of the association, it’s seek government and conditions required for membership and which determine the manner of its acting . (Canon 304) The statutes protect both the nature of the association and the rights of those who join. Without statutes, the association can be wrongly used for the purpose other than those for which it was erected or can be operated without respect for all the members.

The Servants of the Sacred Cross clearly understood the cannons in regards to private and public associations of the faithful.

Calling all prayer Warriors ! Women of faith stand strong on scripture and the call of discipleship . My prayer Faithful woman ,surrender to the Holy Spirit’s lead to push forward forming “new private and public associations” that build up Our Fathers House . Amen

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, Sister Leticia said:

I'm wondering if this is the order I heard of a few years ago, in a FB vocations group. I can't remember all the details, just a young woman very excitedly saying she was due to join a community in Canada, once she had raised a certain amount of money. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but it was something like to travel to a community chapter/meeting, and pay for her stay, as a prerequisite for acceptance - and/or pay for her formation. Certainly, it was to pay for more than simply travel, and something which candidates shouldn't have to pay for. And I think she said that she'd only be able to begin her postulancy at this meeting/ chapter. 

I do remember that I saw red flags, whereas she saw nothing wrong, because of how it had all been explained to her. It all seemed right and wonderful to her. And then a few months later she posted that she couldn't enter because the meeting had been postponed - something like that. 

Anyway, I had forgotten about this young woman until I read this thread, and something just clicked on the memory and made me wonder. But even if it's a different community, it just shows how an eager, fervant young aspirant can so easily be deluded, and convinced that something exploitative is right and fair. 

Did you ever find out who this was?

Sister Leticia
On 8/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, lanpingpug said:

Did you ever find out who this was?

No. As I said in my post, this was just a hazy memory of a young woman posting in a Facebook group several years ago. I can't remember her name, or the community, though I think they were in Canada - so I wouldn't be able to check back. It was a hazy memory, which stirred itself into an intuition as I read this thread.

• 6 months later...
Former SSC Member

Hello Sister Therese, this is Sister Malinda.  My email address is still the same.  Please contact me.  Blessings to you.