An Old School Catholic Message Board

2021 Entrances, Vows, Ordinations

Pax17

Archdiocese of St. Louis:
6 men were ordained to the priesthood on 29 May. 

Dominican friars, Central Province: 
3 men were ordained to the priesthood on 22 May,
They should ordain a deacon this year, too, and 
They should have 3 solemn professions this year, probably on  the feast of St. Dominic, August 8th. 

Dominican friars, Southern Province: 
1 man professed solemn vows on 29 May, 
1 man was ordained a priest on 12 June, and 
They will have a 1st profession on 7 August. 

Dominican friars, Western Province: 
3 men were ordained priests on 5 June (2 for the province, 1 for the Vietnamese vicariate), 
3 men were ordained transitional deacons on 5 June, and
They should have 3 solemn professions this year, probably on the feast of St. Dominic, August 8th.

Edited by Luigi

21 minutes ago, AVEBVM said:

22 minutes ago, AVEBVM said:

I’m entering the Order of Discalced Carmelites on October 7, 2021. 

Well, that’s the date I have in mind right now. 

9 hours ago, SicutColumba said:

Funny how they take the habit at the end of novitiate. So are they just postulants until temporary profession?

No, they are novices. They just don't get the habit until profession. Of course, many communities don't have habits at all--but obviously their members still go through a novitiate. 

Carmelite First Profession

https://www.facebook.com/BeautyofCarmel/posts/4218477054864658

1 hour ago, Nunsuch said:

No, they are novices. They just don't get the habit until profession. Of course, many communities don't have habits at all--but obviously their members still go through a novitiate. 

Similar to the Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, who retain their postulant garb (but with a white veil) until they are about four months away from making their first vows, when they receive the habit. Every community is different. 

Edited by DameAgnes

I like watching the videos and daily messages on youtube from the Dominican Sisters. I've been on retreats with Sisters of Life since I am closer to NYC and follow the Franciscan Sister and Friars of the Renewal.

I wonder though about things like insurance (I work in medical field) and how often the women see doctors/dentists etc. No one thinks of it in vocation talk because that isn't your mindset, but in much earlier years, I would read how only urgent things got care and how cancers and other medical issues got discovered too late. I hope with the newer orders, they have the means to have them properly looked after in that way. I know in other countries universal heath care probably covers them. I know exercise with the younger sisters is stressed but discovering illness early is paramount to getting better.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, debc said:

I like watching the videos and daily messages on youtube from the Dominican Sisters. I've been on retreats with Sisters of Life since I am closer to NYC and follow the Franciscan Sister and Friars of the Renewal.

I wonder though about things like insurance (I work in medical field) and how often the women see doctors/dentists etc. No one thinks of it in vocation talk because that isn't your mindset, but in much earlier years, I would read how only urgent things got care and how cancers and other medical issues got discovered too late. I hope with the newer orders, they have the means to have them properly looked after in that way. I know in other countries universal heath care probably covers them. I know exercise with the younger sisters is stressed but discovering illness early is paramount to getting better.

This is VERY dated. Sisters have health insurance! Older sisters, of course, are on Medicare in the US. But of course sisters get health care. Answers to questions like this would probably best be obtained by asking an actual sister or two.... I would hope that even neo-traditional communities would keep up with medical and scientific progress.

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

This is VERY dated. Sisters have health insurance! Older sisters, of course, are on Medicare in the US. But of course sisters get health care. Answers to questions like this would probably best be obtained by asking an actual sister or two.... I would hope that even neo-traditional communities would keep up with medical and scientific progress.

I understand they have insurance, I work at a place where Dominican (older) sisters come in often for various ailments. I've read accounts in cloistered communities where it would seem maybe stoic to not complain or say you need to go to the doctor.  Maybe the accounts I read were more about feeling you were being a burden and not putting your health first. I think the feedback I heard years ago was more it not being a priority. I do hope that is very dated now.

I hope that everyone is given all the tests they need and checkups because also working in healthcare I know the expense. I also know how easy it is to let it go and then it's even more expensive. I've read on this site years ago, the first few years many times aren't given insurance and when fully professed they are. This might vary by different orders. Once you reach Medicare age, it's easier, many qualify for Medicaid supplement which helps. also.

Edited by debc

Sponsa-Christi
7 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

I think it can still be useful to have "obvious" questions asked and answered here on the forum. Sometimes people are too embarrassed to ask Sisters in real life, and sometimes they don't know any Sisters to ask.

I think it can also be helpful for people not yet ready to begin their discernment in earnest, or for family and friends of people discerning, even just to stumble across information like the fact that religious do generally get proper healthcare. It might address a fear or concern that was in the back of their mind, or that they didn't know they had.

18 minutes ago, Sponsa-Christi said:

I think it can still be useful to have "obvious" questions asked and answered here on the forum. Sometimes people are too embarrassed to ask Sisters in real life, and sometimes they don't know any Sisters to ask.

I think it can also be helpful for people not yet ready to begin their discernment in earnest, or for family and friends of people discerning, even just to stumble across information like the fact that religious do generally get proper healthcare. It might address a fear or concern that was in the back of their mind, or that they didn't know they had.

This may be, but people here have widely different bases for answering questions. Some are based on out of date books or a single website, or an experience of religious life that was limited or pre-Vatican II. There are plenty of resources that are authoritative. And perhaps people should explain the basis or reliability of what they provide....