An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Baseball a Sport?

Winchester

Is baseball a sport  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s a spectator sport, at best.  Watching someone else workout, sitting on your backside is in reality sort of a paradox, if you think about it.

never much cared for watching that kind of stuff. 

Edited by little2add

16 hours ago, little2add said:

It’s a spectator sport, at best.  Watching someone else workout, sitting on your backside is in reality sort of a paradox, if you think about it.

never much cared for watching that kind of stuff. 

That's true of ALL professional sports. It's also true of all professional actors, singers, comedians - anyone we pay to watch. It's always better to engage in an activity personally... I guess... but I doubt that theatre, cinema, concerts, or comedy clubs will dry up and blow away any time soon. Nor will spectator sports, including baseball.  

Edited by Luigi

14 hours ago, Luigi said:

true of all professional actors, singers, comedians -

Define “sports”

Sports

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

"team sports such as baseball and soccer"

3 hours ago, little2add said:

Define “sports”

Sports

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

"team sports such as baseball and soccer"

I sumarily reject your definition amd shall add that soccer, although a good game, is ALSO NOT A SPORT!

43 minutes ago, Didacus said:

definition : an explanation of the meaning of a word, phrase, etc. : a statement that defines a word, phrase, etc.

ok

BTW: playing soccer is a sport

Edited by little2add

PhuturePriest

Sports are culturally-approved means of physically expressing our aggression and desire for dominance within an approved sphere. Due to the lack of violence and genuine concern for player safety, therefore, baseball is de-facto not a sport and is more fitting to be in the same category as tea parties.

5 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

Sports are culturally-approved means of physically expressing our aggression and desire for dominance within an approved sphere. Due to the lack of violence and genuine concern for player safety, therefore, baseball is de-facto not a sport and is more fitting to be in the same category as tea parties.

I have doubts about this. 

Ah, yes, the ‘tea party’ where one of the participants can throw a 100-mph projectile at another participant with the intention of hitting him because he/his team/ his whatever didn’t sit right with the other guys and it’s all just part of the game (or at least to some of the teams). 

Also, don’t know how many times I’ve heard this last month different announcers for teams say, oh so and so is back from injury and they’ll just have to play through the pain. 

11 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Ah, yes, the ‘tea party’ where one of the participants can throw a 100-mph projectile at another participant with the intention of hitting him because he/his team/ his whatever didn’t sit right with the other guys and it’s all just part of the game (or at least to some of the teams). 

Also, don’t know how many times I’ve heard this last month different announcers for teams say, oh so and so is back from injury and they’ll just have to play through the pain. 

100mph projectile?  That can cuase then to spill their tea!

The Rocket played with a broken hand and a broken foot and never complained; cry me a river about playing through the pain!