An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would you have turned your neighbors in for running a speakeasy during Prohibition?

Winchester

Would you have turned your neighbors in for running a speakeasy during Prohibition?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, dominicansoul said:

Oh no, definitely not anarchy, but for the government to tell me what I can drink or what I cannot drink is ABSURD!  

Yet it can and it does today.  Absinth for one

Edited by Mercedes

On 10/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, Mercedes said:

Yet it can and it does today.  Absinth for one

Absinthe is legal. The prohibition on it was based on junk science. As usual.

Politicians are psychopaths, and people who support prohibition are always poorly informed imbeciles.

And still just one scumbag that wants the government to murder peaceful people.

Pretty good.

Marvin Guy defended his home from criminals invading it. When he realized the criminals breaking into his home were government employed criminals, he surrendered.

He is still being held by a terrorist organization because one of the scumbag criminals in the home invasion died.

This is what snitches cause.

Another victim of the terrorist drug war

On 10/31/2021 at 4:59 AM, Winchester said:

Absinthe is legal. The prohibition on it was based on junk science. As usual.

Politicians are psychopaths, and people who support prohibition are always poorly informed imbeciles.

And still just one scumbag that wants the government to murder peaceful people.

Pretty good.

Marvin Guy defended his home from criminals invading it. When he realized the criminals breaking into his home were government employed criminals, he surrendered.

He is still being held by a terrorist organization because one of the scumbag criminals in the home invasion died.

This is what snitches cause.

Another victim of the terrorist drug war

What do you envisage as an alternative to government?

6 minutes ago, Mercedes said:

What do you envisage as an alternative to government?

By government I mean "the state". Should probably be careful with that.

I imagine voluntary interaction where everyone is held to the same rules, instead of a central power exempt from rules against initiation of violence. It's how nearly all of us act. A small subset have convinced most of us that we need a central power with the right to initiate violence. I don't believe them, anymore.

34 minutes ago, Winchester said:

By government I mean "the state". Should probably be careful with that.

I imagine voluntary interaction where everyone is held to the same rules, instead of a central power exempt from rules against initiation of violence. It's how nearly all of us act. A small subset have convinced most of us that we need a central power with the right to initiate violence. I don't believe them, anymore.

Who would I report the people cooking meth in the rental next door to?

On 10/31/2021 at 4:40 PM, Mercedes said:

Who would I report the people cooking meth in the rental next door to?

It would depend on how your voluntary associations in the area handled that problem. But unless you were stupid enough to have prohibition, it would be highly unlikely to happen, in the first place.

But being unable to imagine how you would confront a problem absent the state does not justify the state.