An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question (is Lying A Mortal Sin?)

musturde

Yes.

Just as it says in one of the objections that stealing to give alms to the poor is wrong.

But if someone is starving, it is likly that they're not going to be of sound mind. So I would think that it would be venial, but I'm not sure... and is it worth the risk...

It all comes down to relying on God, not ourselves. We must last until the end.

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk

In certain governments, such as in war-torn areas in Africa, where guerilla run "governments" rule....It is actually the government which steals food which was intended as relief aid for the people. If they could steal it back, it wouldn't be a sin, as it was intended for them in the first place...

Is this the sort of scenario you are thinking of?

Because in that case, it is the government, (or as you put it, society) which is guilty of stealing.

Pax Christi. <><

Some mortal sins are worse than other mortal sins, even though they are both 'mortal'.

Killing 100 men is worse than lying.

So I could easily kill the people I a going to lie to and it would be better than lying to them? lol_grin.gif *Kill FrenzY* :ph34r:

cmotherofpirl

aw, I guess the student has yet much to learn.

It just seems so RIGHT! Is culpability at least lowered?

How about this situation. Society has starved you and your family, you need to eat so you take a loaf of bread from the government that is starving you. Is this stealing?

If you are starving you can stake for to sustain yourself. That is not stealing.

• 2 weeks later...