An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let's bring back the president who played golf a lot

fides' Jack

BarbTherese

As an online reliable source, after a bit of research,I really like The Atlantic still - in fact I would like to subscribe but cheapest subscription is now $79.99.  It was around $20 cheaper mid last year or so.   It lets me read a few articles, after which the writing fades out be well before the ending.  

The following is a really good and comprehensive article looks at the conflict in the Ukraine from a few angles: 

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-crossroads-europe-and-russia

The only to 'benefit' from war are weapon manufacturers and that will undoubtedly help the American economy.  After minimal understanding and research, improving the USA economy is a by-product, not motivation.  The USA is not lily white, nor are we, in times of war most especially - but America is not responsible for the conflict in the Ukraine, to my mind.  Putin is the aggressor.  Ukraine is defending itself......by-product: standing proxy-like for the West.  I was surprised to read that Ukraine does not want boots on the ground from any of us.  It wants to fight its own battle, with armament help only from the West.

Possible potential - nuclear.  Putin concerns me.  He has an inflated ego and if he realizes that he just cannot win? Instability.  Consider too the other communist etc. countries nuclear armed.  But it remains Putin who concerns me.......and the potential for a domino affect.

Thy will be done.

BarbTherese
12 hours ago, Didacus said:

No - Putin and Russia did not make the first move towards war.  NATO has broken their agreement with Russia time and time again through the years.  

I agree.  NATO acted wrongly .........but.........

........conflict broke out in 2014 when Putin annexed the Crimea from the Ukraine.                                

48 minutes ago, BarbTherese said:

But it remains Putin who concerns me.......and the potential for a domino affect.

It was a domino affect which triggered WWII and WWI.  The domino affect can be the problem with alliances.

The big unknown factor is China.  If Russia was truly isolated (they're not), they would have no choice but to stand down.