An Old School Catholic Message Board

Financial practicalities when joining the convent

Lady Grey, Hot

Lady Grey, Hot

I've been told before that letting your family hold some money/possessions in reserve for you (so you have something to fall back on in case you discern out) is not contrary to the spirit of entering religious life. I'm interested in knowing what that might look like in practice. For example, could a bank account still exist in your own name while you are in formation (perhaps to be closed upon making final vows) - just with an authorized person administering it for you? Or could you keep your credit card accounts open to maintain your credit score/history, even though you would no longer be using those cards?

I'm betting this is just a matter of custom that differs from community to community, but I'd be more than interested in anything anecdotal.

I cannot speak of the situations of those who make solemn vows (such as Poor Clares), but most religious, whether in active life or who observe constitutional, not papal, enclosure, do not. There is no reason anyone entering religious life (or any member) cannot have money in reserve. Even professed Sisters (who, at least in my time, had to make wills before profession) are under no obligation to leave the inheritance to the community.

Hold on to every last farthing. (I am dating myself...) You never know if you may choose to leave - or be dismissed - or if a community may go out of existence. There is no reason you cannot have a bank account. There may be restrictions on how you use money that is in your name (I don't know if religious can have credit cards), but don't give one thought to selling all you have and giving it to the poor. (The young man to whom Jesus suggested that was rich and smug - how could anyone have observed all of the commandments for his entire life?) You may desperately need it later. I've seen religious communities die out completely. 

From what I've read entrants usually keep their money  and property until final vows. It would be really unwise to give everything away when you entered,  

Sr Mary Catharine OP

It depends on the congregation. As an OP Nun I retained ownership until Solemn Profession. Before making 1st Profession I had to make a will and designate someone to administer my goods. I could still acquire goods but anything that came to me because I was in the Order went to the monastery. Technically, monetary gifts could be retained but by tradition they go to the common fund. After all the community is taking care of absolutely all your needs. 

Before Solemn Profession I had to give my money, goods, etc. to whomever I wished and make a legal, solemn act of renunciation, not just of my property but the right to own anything in the future. If one has a 401K, retirement fund, etc. these must be liquidated. 

I own nothing and have no right to anything should I leave. In justice and charity, though, a community usually provides for a sister who leaves to help her get started again. 

This renunciation is very freeing and is a concrete sign of giving myself entirely to God in a spousal relationship. I trust he will provide for me in whatever way he knows is best.

Having a "reserve" even if held by family members is really contrary to the virtue of the vow of poverty. Why say you give yourself unreservedly to the King of Kings if you don't mean it!

Yep, it depends on the congregation. 
Just incase you are discerning religious life as well: I was encouraged by vocation ministers to ask how financial things are dealt with in the communities. The answers (or not-answers) might tell a lot, actually... ;) 

Sr Mary Catharine's contribution here was very valuable, because it concerns those who make Solemn Vows. (Most female religious do not.)

It can vary according to community (and did many years ago), but, especially for those who are not in final vows, the community does not necessarily provide for all needs. I knew a Sister who'd entered a very large, active congregation during the 1940s - even when they made final vows, if they needed a pair of shoes they had to find family members to provide them. In the active community which I entered, the community provided a roof over one's head and (small) meals - if someone who was not in final vows needed underwear, deodorant, money for schooling, or anything else, the family had to pay the bill. I understand that some communities even required that those in formation pay 'rent' for the room. Someone I know who entered a community in the US had to either have savings with which to pay premiums for medical insurance and all medical bills, or have family pay. (Religious at any stage of formation, if they engage in active works, do not receive salaries - that stipend goes to the community.) 

Lea's comment is spot on. Not only would one need to know what is expected if one has savings, but one must know just how expensive entering and living in a convent during formation may be. 

In the community where I was, everything necessary is provided by the community, but postulants and novices keep their own bank accounts (when I earned a little freelance money, I thought it would go to the community, but was informed it was mine - not to use, but to put into my account). Sisters only hand over what they own to the community at final vows. But even then, if a sister leaves after final vows, she have the right to get back what she brought in (no interest paid though ;-).

And yes, it's worth talking about finances with the vocation director of a community you're interested in. It can give you a good idea if you and the community are a good fit in practical terms.

Lady Grey, Hot
11 hours ago, Dymphna said:

And yes, it's worth talking about finances with the vocation director of a community you're interested in. It can give you a good idea if you and the community are a good fit in practical terms.

At what point in the process would you suggest broaching the matter?

On 1/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, Lady Grey, Hot said:

Maybe not the first paragraph of the first e-mail? ;) (don't mind me being silly)

freedomreigns

When I entered, what I need to do was explained to me when I had been accepted for formation.  The biggest part was the discernment of entering, but the details like this waited until after that had been settled.  

Also, when I left the community gave me a small sum of money to start over and some clothes. I really didn't have much. I was so thankful. 

Edited by freedomreigns

On 1/30/2023 at 11:01 PM, Lady Grey, Hot said:

I think you should talk with community members (at least the vocation director) about what matters to you in your discernment process. About your hopes and what you yearn for in a community as well as your fears when you think about taking this step. And if one of these fears is that you would suffer financially, maybe end up in poverty, if you leave the community, then talk about this. You need to get answers, and the VD needs to know what worries you.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:01 PM, Lady Grey, Hot said:

I don't know about a standard time to ask that everyone can agree on. When I discerned the religious life, the communities I contacted typically were open to questions whenever I expressed them.

Sister Leticia

When we enter religious life, we hope and pray and desire - of course - that we're going to be in our order/monastery forever. But alongside that, we also know that we're entering a new stage of ongoing discernment, and we have to be open to whatever might happen, or be revealed to us during our formation. So, divesting ourselves of everything prior to entering is not sensible, and most orders wouldn't encourage this. 

I would add that families can become very anxious when their daughter/son enters religious life - "what if she's unhappy, what if he leaves...?" This anxiety can express itself in various ways, including concern about your future finances, should you leave. So, if you keep your bank account open, with someone administering it for you, that might help allay some parental concerns. And if a candidate's parents are less anxious, that can only help the candidate too! 

Lady Grey, Hot
On 2/1/2023 at 10:01 AM, Dymphna said:

You need to get answers, and the VD needs to know what worries you.

I suppose I just hate to be that high maintenance.

Sponsa-Christi
3 hours ago, Lady Grey, Hot said:

I suppose I just hate to be that high maintenance.

With all due respect, dancing around the issues that actually bother you while still being anxious about them is going to make you seem more high-maintenance than a respectful but direction question would.

"Can you tell me about how you live out the vow of poverty practically?" Boom, done!

Or even: "What are the finical practicalities of entering formation here? What if a woman discerns out?" Also fine! 

Vocation Directors expect you to have questions.

Edited by Sponsa-Christi
typo