An Old School Catholic Message Board

Financial practicalities when joining the convent

Lady Grey, Hot

It has been many years since anyone I knew personally was entering religious life (though I knew many Sisters, years back.) I've noticed, on this forum, that some of those seeking to enter the convent are exploring possibilities through Internet sites and email contact. (Most Sisters I knew in the past had some association with the communities they eventually entered.)

If one is only seeking basic information, and may never pursue entering a particular community, I don't see a need to ask about finances immediately. (But look and listen carefully - if there are only a handful of Sisters left, and the 'baby' is 80, don't assume they'll grow.) If one were at the point of making application, definitely ask the questions! If one actually were applying, and likely to enter soon, the communities would tell you what you need to have or bring. Some communities would not even allow someone to earn a bit of freelance money, as Dymphna did. If someone paid a dowry, this would be returned if she left or was dismissed (minus interest), but, if one did not need to do so, she could not count on that the community would give her anything if she were dismissed or chose to leave. 

• 2 months later...
inunionwithrome

I did leave a community where they asked for dowry upfront. Unfortunately, my family was unable to retain any of this money. However, I have heard it was up to the individual community and that in my ignorance, that should not have been done. However, always check beforehand.