An Old School Catholic Message Board

Politics

fides' Jack

And yet:

You can't "end up with peace on that issue".  The pro-life movement is largely Catholic.  We will not compromise on any point in the abortion debate.  No abortion, no matter the stage, is moral.  It is an offense against God.  There is no compromise to be had.

Clearly Trump is much more of a politician than either major party wants to admit.

It's sad that a man of compromise is the best Republicans have to offer.

Revelation 2:18-29

6 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Clearly Trump is much more of a politician than either major party wants to admit.

Wouldn't stopping federal funded abortions after 15 weeks be better than permitting late term abortion up to the date of birth?  In all fairness, that is what Trump was alluding to.  

His criticism of the Santis is valid.  After all 95% of the free world permits, abortion up to 15 weeks.  

• North Korea:   No specified gestational limit, though regulatory mechanisms vary.
  • Vietnam: No specified gestational limit, though regulatory mechanisms vary.
  • China: “Abortion is virtually freely available in China, and there are no defined time limits
  • United States:  No federal ban on gestational limit, but 43 states have prohibitions on gestational limits, from 20 to 24 weeks, or the point of “viability,” 
  • Canada: No federal gestational limit, but provinces and territories vary as to whether they will offer abortion services after a certain gestational age. Some offer abortion services up to 12 weeks, others up to 24 weeks. (This is similar to how states operate in the U.S.) 
  • Netherlands: Abortions are allowed up to 24 weeks. After that period, abortions are allowed only if the unborn fetus has an untreatable disease and would have little to no chance of survival a
  • Singapore: Abortions are allowed up to 24 weeks. After that, abortions are only allowed to save the life of, or for the physical or mental health of, the pregnant woman.

the United States one of seven countries that ‘allow elective abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy?’

MAP2-png.webp

Edited by little2add

On 9/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, little2add said:

Wouldn't stopping federal funded abortions after 15 weeks be better than permitting late term abortion up to the date of birth?  In all fairness, that is what Trump was alluding to.

I'll take a closer look, in case I missed something.  If I did, then it was my mistake.  But I will say that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems like he's saying that a 5 week ban, or a 6 week ban "is a terrible thing and a terrible mistake". 

In what way is this the option?  Are you saying (that he's saying) if we don't compromise then we're permitting abortion up to birth?

On 9/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, little2add said:

After all 95% of the free world permits, abortion up to 15 weeks.

Are you saying abortion should be permitted up to 15 weeks?

Ok, having gone through the video a couple times, and your response, I think what you're saying, and what you think Trump is saying, is that because a 5/6 week ban is more extreme than other states, it will make the issue more divisive, and that if there's a compromise then people will soften on the issue and it might make it easier to completely ban abortion federally later.  Is that the gist?

As of right now states have the ability to ban abortion entirely, if they can gather the strength to push it through hard enough that even by cheating the dems can't stop it.  If, all of a sudden, there's a new federal law permitting abortion up to 15 weeks, but a complete ban afterward, and it takes away the ability of the states to say no to all abortion, that still seems like a backward step to me.  If they can push through a federal law stating no abortions past 15 weeks, but the states can still completely ban abortion, then that's something I can get behind.

4 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Are you saying abortion should be permitted up to 15 weeks

Not at all, No

Trump’ s point is that a total ban on medical abortion would never pass legislation in the US   
“not in a million years”

The only possible solution is to limit the procedure to the first trimester and/or if the  Mother’s life is in danger beyond that. 

15 weeks is realistic and most is the world agrees, sincerely  😔 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:39 PM, little2add said:

the United States one of seven countries that ‘allow elective abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy?’

Edited by little2add

What I'm saying is that late-term abortion should be, and could be outlawed under Trump's Philosophy

and that this would be a vast improvement over the current situation

Edited by little2add

7 hours ago, little2add said:

What I'm saying is that late-term abortion should be, and could be outlawed under Trump's Philosophy

and that this would be a vast improvement over the current situation

Thanks for the clarification.  Of course we all agree to that, but I'm still worried about what it might cost us.

At the very least you have me rethinking this.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:39 PM, little2add said:

China: “Abortion is virtually freely available in China, and there are no defined time limits

Who would’ve thought that the Democratic Party of the United States and China are in cahoots in this godless immorality. 

IMG-6020.jpg

7 hours ago, little2add said:

Who would’ve thought that the Democratic Party of the United States and China are in cahoots in this godless immorality. 

Only those with a few brain cells to rub together!

On 9/17/2023 at 7:10 PM, Nunsuch said:

the fact that DeSantis agrees with him is not something I view as a point in his favor,

Republican Presidential candidate Sen. Tim Scott said, “Listen, he was right to do what he said. The Hyde Amendment is clear. You cannot use a penny of federal dollars in support of abortion. Period. 

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) said, “Senator Schumer just proved he could have moved these military promotions months ago. He held our servicemembers hostage for purely political reasons.”

Sen. Katie Britt (R-Alabama) said on X, “As I’ve said previously, Senator Schumer has the power to schedule votes on each of these nominees. Today’s move only confirms this has been true all along.”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said, “Senator Schumer could have broken this logjam months ago by filing cloture like he did today on the nominee for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.”

Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio) said, “The military cannot be an arm of either admin’s social policy. There’s a law that says abortions will not be publicly funded and the Biden administration is circumventing that in a way that destroys credibility in the military.”

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Florida) said, “Senator Tuberville did the right thing and showed today that this was all politics by the Democrats. And they don’t care that they’re violating the law.”

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) said on social media, “@SecDef brought this on himself and @DeptofDefense by adopting a policy designed only to flout 10 USC 1093. […] If confirmation delays really are imperiling national security, then @SecDef should immediately suspend his abortion-travel policy, which is what it will take to get the confirmation process expedited. He can’t blame @SecDefwithout implicating himself. […] Since when is funding for abortion travel—which @DeptofDefense never funded until six months ago—essential to American national security?”

Congressman Barry Moore (R-AL02) said, “Schumer could have approved every military nominee by scheduling votes over the last several months, but he cared more about funding abortion travel than military readiness. Major win for Sen Tuberville!”

Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Texas) said, “Senator Tuberville has bravely and steadfastly held the line in the Senate by placing a hold on all DoD senior leader nominations until the DoD complies with federal law and ceases its abortion policies. DoD has complained this will harm national security, but DoD has the ability to stop this immediately. All they have to do is rescind this illegal policy.”

Pence backs Tuberville Senate blockade: 'The Pentagon is wrong.  former Vice President Mike Pence said he supports the blockade.

"Sen. Tommy Tuberville is right, and the Pentagon is wrong," Pence said to cheers at the Pray Vote Stand conference in Washington.

14 hours ago, little2add said:

Vice President Mike Pence

Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Texas)

Congressman Barry Moore (R-AL02)

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah)

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Florida)

Sen. J.D. Vance (R-Ohio)

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas)

Sen. Katie Britt (R-Alabama)

Sen. Tim Scott

the fact that DeSantis agrees with him ( U. S. Senator Tommy Tuberville R-Alabama ) and "Others" is indicative of the support of this issue!

8 hours ago, little2add said:

the fact that DeSantis agrees with him ( U. S. Senator Tommy Tuberville R-Alabama ) and "Others" is indicative of the support of this issue!

Yes it is. But that's not necessarily a good thing. In fact, for some of us....

On 9/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, Nunsuch said:

i* sound bigoted

The senators position has nothing to do with racism or your so-called white nationalism, to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. 
furthermore, the abandonment of Christian values in our military has a direct effect on recruitment  as the senator has pointed out  

The heart and soul of the military are good God-fearing Christians morally upright citizens  the politically correct wokeness that has crept into the military in recent years has demoralized the service,  to its detriment

Edited by little2add