An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feed Your Ears

Luigi

Larry Gatlin was very successful in Country Music as a singer and songwriter for a long time in the 70's, 80's and some in the 90's. He was the lead singer of the Gatlin Brothers (the brothers being Steve and Rudy). Like so many successful show biz folks, he got addicted to cocaine and such. But he was always a man of faith, and his faith brought him through his addiction. This is one of his gospel songs, Lay Them Down, mashed up with Rock of Ages. 

2 hours ago, dUSt said:

I love this song...

THIS is a brilliant song. A good ol' American folksong which Cash adapted a little here and there (as is fitting for folk songs), and Rick Rubin's arrangement is brilliant! Well played, sir!

Please keep the music coming!  Here's my All Time Favorite Song That I Learned On Phatmass:

And yes, I can do the genuflect.

13 hours ago, Hna.Caridad said:

Please keep the music coming!  Here's my All Time Favorite Song That I Learned On Phatmass:

And yes, I can do the genuflect.

New to me, but I like it!

Pure bluegrass from Ralph Stanley, Ricky Skaggs, Tony Rice, et alia. This is in the "what a wonderful day it'll be" vein. The song is Shouting on the Hills of God. (Feel free to shout Yee ha! or Amen! whenever the Spirit moves you.) It was Ralph Stanley who introduced the Marshall Family (see above, Amen, There's a Higher Power)

Edited by Luigi
Additional information

"Ain't You Got a Right" is a traditional Black spiritual, probably from the 19th century, and maybe from before that. The structure is quite simple, as is typical of spirituals. This version is a fancy arrangement by Jane Sapp for an SATB choral group, performed here by the Georgia Tech Combined Choirs - probably 75 voices. And they put their hearts and souls into it. I always think that the traditional (simple) version of the song, with a few minor adjustments to the lyrics, would make a good anthem for pro-life marches. 

1 hour ago, Luigi said:

"Ain't You Got a Right" is a traditional Black spiritual, probably from the 19th century, and maybe from before that. The structure is quite simple, as is typical of spirituals. This version is a fancy arrangement by Jane Sapp for an SATB choral group, performed here by the Georgia Tech Combined Choirs - probably 75 voices. And they put their hearts and souls into it. I always think that the traditional (simple) version of the song, with a few minor adjustments to the lyrics, would make a good anthem for pro-life marches. 

Here's "Ain't You Got a Right" by Joan Baez and her sister Mimi Farina. This is a more standard version of the melody and harmony. Of course Baez is the quintessential left-wing folk singer, so she customizes the verses to her left-wing audience. But you can sing the traditional lyrics to this melody, which is easier to pick up than in the SATB version. Anyway, now we've got a little spectrum of versions of this song! 

"My Songbird" by Jesse Winchester. He grew up in northern Mississippi but went to high school Christian Brothers High School in Memphis. Most people consider him 'country,' but I consider him more of a hippie-folk singer-songwriter. Emmylou Harris sang backup on Winchester's original recording (posted here), and then she recorded on one of her own albums. 

Here's Bob Dylan's 1979 "Gotta Serve Somebody." Extremely simple message, extremely simple structure, extremely simple melody and instrumentation, but still worth listening to. 

Edited by Luigi
Spelling correction

53 minutes ago, Luigi said:

Here's Bob Dylan's 1979 "Gotta Serve Somebody." Extremely simple message, extremely simple structure, extremely simple melody and instrumentation, but still worth listening to. 

Love this!