An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feed Your Ears

Luigi

1 hour ago, dUSt said:

Love this!

What's weird about it - and a whole lot about Bob Dylan is weird - is that the title is "Gotta" Serve Somebody, but he never sings those words in the lyrics; he always sings "you're gonna have to" serve somebody.  

Martha Bass sings "Walk With Me." I've been a fan of Fontella Bass for a long time, but I didn't know anything about her mother until a few years ago. However, I remember one of my uncles mentioning "this old teejus journey" once; I didn't know what he meant by it at the time (I was young), but he was referring to this song. NB: Ms. Bass pronounced "tedious" as 'tee-jus.' That's actually the same sound shift that causes "Indians" to become 'Injuns' and "Acadians" to become 'Cajuns.' Anyway, I like this song. 

Edited by Luigi

Alison Krauss and The Cox Family sing "When God Dips His Pen of Love in My Heart." I first heard this from Albertina Walker, and I actually prefer her rendition, but I couldn't understand all the words (never having heard it before). Krauss and the The Cox Family sing a much more restrained version, but I can understand it. Maybe I'll post Walker's version later. 

7 hours ago, dUSt said:

Went down a rabbit hole and found so many different covers of "Gotta Serve Somebody". So far, I'm loving this version the most! 

I've never heard this version. I can see why it's your favorite. I like how they slow it down, take their time with the song. They must all be Southern or something!

Here's Albertina Walker's rendition of "When God Dips His Pen of Love in My Heart" backed by the Christ Universal Temple Ensemble. As I said previously, this is the first version I heard, and it's still my favorite version. 

The Daltons are a Gospel trio - or quartet, depending on the year - who performed on WLJC, a Christian television station in Beattyville, KY (near Lexington) for a long time. This song is "I Can Go to Them." They sing it a cappella in three-part harmony. I like the song real well, too, although there's no information on the YouTube page about who wrote it. When I looked it up, I couldn't find any references online. 

Tom Waits wrote "Down There by the Train," and it's a very good song, about the fact that God will forgive anyone (who asks for forgiveness, although Waits doesn't really include that little detail). But I can't stand the way Waits sings, so this is the Johnny Cash recording of it. 

On 12/14/2023 at 8:21 PM, Hna.Caridad said:

That song reminds me of this one:

Can't go wrong with Randy Travis.

Most excellent! I've never heard this, so thank you for introducing me to a new country singer. 

The train-to-heaven theme has been part of gospel music since trains were invented. "This Train Don't Carry No Gamblers" is the Puritan version - you've got to make yourself right before you can get on the train. Bruce Springsteen belts out the Catholic version in answer to the classic Am'rican folk song - anybody can get on the train. Again, you've got to ask, and he doesn't really stress that, but then, this is a pop song, not a theological treatise. This is the all-stops-out, no-holds-barred rendition. It's long, but it's worth it.!

The train-to-heaven theme has been part of gospel music since trains were invented. "This Train Don't Carry No Gamblers" is the Puritan version - you've got to make yourself right before you can get on the train. Bruce Springsteen belts out the Catholic version in answer to the classic Am'rican folk song - anybody can get on the train. Again, you've got to ask, and he doesn't really stress that, but then, this is a pop song, not a theological treatise. This is the all-stops-out, no-holds-barred rendition. It's long, but it's worth it.!

I don't know what happened here, you guys. I apologize for the double post. Yesterday, I responded to Hna. Caridad's post, then wrote up my own new post and hit Submit. The Deus Ex Machina told me my posts had been merged. Not my favorite way of doing business, but nonetheless functional. 

Today, when I tried to post something else, I couldn't get a blank text box - yesterday's post was in its place. I figured I wrote it up but never did Submit it. So I hit Submit again. And, sure as shamrocks grow in Ireland, yesterday's post got submitted! (again). 

Sigh. I might slowly be losing my mind. That is all.