An Old School Catholic Message Board

2024 Entrances, Vows, and Ordinations

Luigi

We've had threads of this kind in the past, and there seems to be some interest again this year. It being Sunday afternoon, and having nothing else in particular to do, I decided to create the topic for 2024. 

First some catch-up stats, from last year. 

Dominican Friars, eastern province (St. Joseph): 37 men in the studium. (One of those men is from my archdiocese, and in fact, I taught his sister in several classes. I've met his folks, too.) I don't know how many will be ordained priests or deacons this year, but I'm sure they'll announce when those ordinations happens. I think 7 novices were accepted in Fall 2023, but that page is undated. 

Dominican Friars, central province (St. Albert the Great): 12 men in the studium. One is scheduled to be ordained a priest and one to be ordained a deacon later this year. They received 8 novices in Fall 2023, and all 8 are still in the novitiate. 

Dominican Friars, southern province (St. Martin de Porres): 10 men in the studium. One is scheduled to be ordained a priest later this year, and maybe one or two deacons. The province accepted 7 novices in Fall 2023, and 6 are still in the novitiate. 

Dominican Friars, western province (Holy Name of Jesus): 25 men in the studium, plus one from Poland and 3 or 4 for the Vicariate of Vietnam. Some of those will be ordained priests or deacons in May or June. The province accepted 9 novices in Fall 2023. 

More to follow. 

Benedictines of the Swiss-American Congregation: Most of the novices listed here entered in Fall 2023, but this congregation also accepts novices in February, so one or two might be from this year.  

Saint Meinrad Archabbey (Indiana): 2 novices and 2 men in first vows

Conception Abbey (Missouri): 4 novices and 2 men in first vows

Subiaco Abbey (Arkansas): 1 novice and 1 man in first vows

Saint Joseph Abbey (Louisiana): 1 novice and 5 men in first vows

Marmion Abbey (Illinois): 1 novice

Prince of Peace Abbey (California): 1 man in first vows

Saint Benedict's (Still River, Massachusetts): 1 novice and 1 man in first vows

There are no men in formation at: Mount Michael Abbey (Nebraska), Glastonbury Abbey (Massachusetts), or Ascension monastery (Idaho). 

Benedictines of the American Cassinese Congregation: Again, this is just catch-up information - some of the people listed (as numbers) will probably make vows or be ordained in 2024. The congregation doesn't publish a house-by-house summary of statistics the way the Swiss American Congregation does, so it's harder to track down this information. I found some on their web sites, some in newsletters, and some on FaceBook. Keep in mind, though, that in information is incomplete - there might be more than the people listed here. 

Saint Vincent's Archabbey (Pennsylvania): 6 men in first vows and 3 postulants

Saint John's Abbey (Minnesota): I couldn't find any numbers, but they usually receive one or two men per year, so they might have 6 or eight men in formation. 

Saint Benedict's Abby (Kansas): 5 or s in first vows, and 1 or 2 novices

Saint Anselm Abbey (New Hampshire): 1 deacon ordained 12-10-24; several in formation

Saint Gregory's Abbey (Oklahoma): 1 solemn profession last year; 1 man in first vows; 1 novice this year; possibly 1 postulant

Saint Bernard Abbey (Alabama): I can find no specific information, but they usually have a couple of men in formation - or at least they have had for the last 10 years or so. 

Saint Mary Abbey (Morristown, New Jersey): 1 novice

Newark Abbey (Newark, New Jersey): 2 men in first vows

Mary, Help of Christians (Belmont, North Carolina): Deacon ordination, 1 solemn vows, 1 novice - all in '23

Assumption Abbey (North Dakota): 1 man in first vows

Saint Martin's Abbey (Washington state): 3 or 4 men in first vows and 1 novice

No men in formation at Mary, Mother of the Church (Virginia), Saint Leo (Florida), Saint Andrew (Ohio), Saint Procopius (Lisle, Illinois), or Saint Bede (Peru, Illinois). 

Assumption Benedictine Abbey in North Dakota posted today on Facebook that their Brother Joseph professed solemn vows on 

March 21st, the feast of the Transitus of Saint Benedict. I posted on Sunday that Assumption had 1 man in first vows, but I was (happily) wrong - they had two men in first vows last Sunday; they have one man in first vows now

Nunsuch

Jane Aseltyne of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Monroe, MI) will profess final vows on August 3.

• 2 weeks later...
lay associate

Handmaids of the Precious Blood just had a first profession.  http://nunsforpriests.org/news/

In addition to Sr. Maria Crucis of St. St.Joseph who just made her profession they now have 4 in formation, one novice, one postulant and two aspirants.

• 2 weeks later...

From Saint Meinrad Archabbey's Facebook page, news that NINETEEN deacons were ordained for the archdiocese of Hanoi on April 23rd. The Church in Viet Nam is thriving

"Saint Meinrad

The good work of Saint Meinrad extends worldwide! Archbishop Joseph Vũ Văn Thiên of Hanoi said gracious words of thanks (in English!) for Saint Meinrad Seminary and for our Father Rector Denis Robinson, OSB at yesterday's (23 April) ordination Mass of Hung Tran (2023 alumnus) and nineteen more newly ordained deacons for Hanoi!" 

There's an accompanying video on the FB page, but I didn't post it here.