Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Public High School


Is it Hard to be Catholic had a Public High School?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 18 2004, 05:02 PM'] It was difficult for me. The best Catholics I knew were not completely obedient (at the time, this included myself) and the worst I knew were practically agnostic, but still came to youth group, all the while advocating homosexual activity, abortion, contraception, etc. Wolves in sheeps' clothing are the most dangerous.

Then there were the "religion is the opiate of the masses" types, who offered to burn my rosary.

Then there was the type who really didn't care, but made fun of Catholicism just because they wanted to insult you.

Then there was the type who hated Catholicism.

Then there was the type who hated Christianity.

Then there was the type who hated society.

Then there was the type who saw the truth partially, but chose to agree with lies and falsities because that made them more comfortable.

Then there was the "Catholics aren't Christian" type.

Then there was the "I don't understand why Catholics believe in purgatory" type, to whom you explain purgatory in its completeness and they say, "I don't understand why Catholics believe in purgatory," again.

Then there were the types who debated with you, had you clarify, and then debated the same as if you hadn't clarified what Catholics believed.

Then there was the type who said "Catholics worship the pope/statues/Mary/etc."

ARGH!

I drew a cross on the board once and a kid came up and drew an upside-down cross (apparently a satanic symbol), so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Peter?" He got all frustrated and crossed it out with an X, so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Andrew?" LOL It was funny... [/quote]
Basically the same at my high school, except I think that there are only about 3 Catholic kids who actually care. Actually more like 3 1/2, there's a kid who acts like a perfect Catholic kid around our youth group pple, but at school he's always talking about partying, drinking, sex, everything like that.


Funny story!!!! :sweat: :sweat:

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 18 2004, 04:02 PM'] I drew a cross on the board once and a kid came up and drew an upside-down cross (apparently a satanic symbol), so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Peter?" He got all frustrated and crossed it out with an X, so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Andrew?" LOL It was funny... [/quote]
:rotfl: hehe, that's great, Micah!

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 18 2004, 04:02 PM'] I drew a cross on the board once and a kid came up and drew an upside-down cross (apparently a satanic symbol), so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Peter?"  He got all frustrated and crossed it out with an X, so I asked, "why are you drawing the cross of St. Andrew?"  LOL  It was funny... [/quote]
that is awesome :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Edited by slywakka250
lifeteenchick527
Posted

wow...as of now its a tie between it depends and yes....lets keep the vote going

Posted

Yeah, it was tough.

I went to a public high school for just one semester my freshman year. It was an experience.

I was really shy at that age, but I still stood up for what I believed in. People around me soon realized that I was Catholic. Some talked to me about my faith and were sincerely interested, but others either ignored me or mocked me. There were only a few other Catholics that I knew of (and that school was huge), but they either didn't practice or care that much.

The people that bothered me didn't really tease me about my faith; they teased me about about my morality. There was this one girl who loved to make fun of me for my defense of chastity. She would always make dirty comments around me and basically just harrass me whenever possible. Finally, after ignoring her for awhile, I decided to give her this little card from Radix ( [url="http://www.radixguys.com"]http://www.radixguys.com[/url] ) about chastity. Then she shut up and never bothered me again.

Public school was really tough for me, not only because I was Catholic. I transferred to a Catholic school after that and the situation improved a little. Although in some ways, it wasn't that great either, because of the lukewarm attitudes of the students and teachers towards Catholicism.

I think it depends on the situation and the school. You can have positive and negative experiences no matter where you go, be it a public school, parochial school, or private school. Don't be afraid to stand up for your faith and don't let others intimidate you. Remember, God's on your side. :cool:

lifeteenchick527
Posted

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jul 18 2004, 06:46 PM'] I think it depends on the situation and the school. You can have positive and negative experiences no matter where you go, be it a public school, parochial school, or private school. Don't be afraid to stand up for your faith and don't let others intimidate you. Remember, God's on your side. :cool: [/quote]
ya thats wat iam learning...i wanna knoe wat everyone thinks

ilovechrist
Posted

actually....

i have no idea, being homeschooled :P

i still spread my faith every which way i can, especially to my public hs friends!

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jul 18 2004, 08:46 PM']
I was really shy at that age, but I still stood up for what I believed in. People around me soon realized that I was Catholic. Some talked to me about my faith and were sincerely interested, but others either ignored me or mocked me.

[/quote]
this really concerns me. I doubt many know that I am Catholic. I really need to work on speaking up more :mellow: I'm really going to work on it this year. Since I feel so strongly about my Catholic view it won't take long once I start. it will be awesome :cool:

Edited by slywakka250
lifeteenchick527
Posted

wow...guys its tied 6-6 with it depends and yes!!!!
can we get some tie brakers...lol...jk...vote wat u want

FaithfulServant
Posted

Well for me, it is very hard, some ppl at my school are open minded and will discuss while the majority if ppl "bash" and tell ME what we believe... Ive actually had bibles thrown at me when I walked onto the bus because those certain ppl were told they would burn... simply stupidity... I pray all the time, that more ppl would be a lil more open minded about Catholicsm and about religions in general.

ilovechrist
Posted

[quote name='slywakka250' date='Jul 18 2004, 11:07 PM'] I really need to work on speaking up more :mellow: I'm really going to work on it this year. [/quote]
LifeTeen has a hat that says Catholic on it. just the word makes people tremble! wear the hat, and you'll have people knowing you better in no time at all :D

Posted

[quote name='slywakka250' date='Jul 18 2004, 10:07 PM']this really concerns me. I doubt many know that I am Catholic. I really need to work on speaking up more :mellow: I'm really going to work on it this year. Since I feel so strongly about my Catholic view it won't take long once I start. it will be awesome :cool:[/quote]
Yeah, it was really tough for me to speak up at first. I literally had to force myself to, at times. (I have changed a lot since then.) I think what really got me to speak up a lot was when my teachers would say things contrary to the teachings of the Church. I couldn't stand seeing my classmates taught the wrong thing. So that really made me speak up more.

Don't worry about what others think of you. Just go ahead and speak out. :)

ilovechrist
Posted

[quote name='FaithfulServant' date='Jul 18 2004, 11:13 PM'] while the majority if ppl "bash" and tell ME what we believe... [/quote]
very true adam...
its hard to have people who refuse to listen... especially when they've heard from a false source, or just THINK that they know what we believe.

Posted

From my experience, the hardest people to talk to (even harder than Protestant anti-catholics, at least there you have common ground) are atheist/agnostic/wiccan/I-Just-Don't-Care people. They go careening down the slide of high school sex, drugs, alcohol...and they don't understand why someone would have morals and stick to them. and 80% of peoplle at my school are like that :ph34r:

With them you can't bring "God" in. At all, to them it's laughable. They don't seem to have feelings sometimes either, they will insult you and mock you till you're so hurt and beaten up. That's when I wish my feelings weren't so sensitive because those people really hurt me sometimes.

But I've gotten bolder through this year of High School...and since I have a temper to match, plus sarcasm/wit/humor/call it whatever (something that makes them "can't help but like" me) they respect me and my beliefs more and more, plus some actually are interested in seriously discussing now.

Next year will be interesting.

lifeteenchick527
Posted

God Bless VERA

lifeteenchick527
Posted

if any1 else goes to public school...PLEASE POST UR EXPERIENCE...THANKS!!

Posted

lol its tied again

lifeteenchick527
Posted

ya..people u got to vote!!!

lol


thanks yall

*teen4Christ*
Posted

I'm homeschooled is it fun going to school everyday??!!

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='*teen4Christ*' date='Jul 20 2004, 12:42 AM'] I'm homeschooled is it fun going to school everyday??!! [/quote]
I don't know...

If I had a different set of parents, I think I would much have preferred homeschooling...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...