An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hurting Yourself And How Sinful It Is

Dave

I think it would be cool to look at, but I have a HUGE issue with needles :freak:

I can watch movies with all sorts of violence, people getting shot, explosions, etc, but I flinch if someone pulls out a needle. :lol:

phatcatholic

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jul 23 2004, 02:34 PM'] Mike, I'm sick of of this. Every flaw I find, every contradiction, everything that's wrong with the bible is either a hyperbole, symbolic, or not to be taken literally. I will never quote or respond to a quote from the bible again. [/quote]
chris,

we are all willing to help you here if you have questions or problems w/ the bible. i don't think "MichaelFilo" meant to be critical or insulting. personally, i hope that you will comment more on the bible so we can help each other learn more about it. if we appear somewhat defensive that is b/c you arrived here in a somewhat confrontational manner (w/ the "IQ of a carrot" remark and all), but we still wish to treat you w/ charity and answer your questions if you have a genuine intent to learn.

may God Bless You,
phatcatholic

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Dave' date='Jul 23 2004, 12:50 PM'] Before I begin, please know that this is JUST a hypothetical question about a hypothetical situation. I never participated in any of the activities described below, nor do I know anyone who ever has.

I know that to seriously disfigure or mutilate yourself would be mortally sinful. In fact, that's basically how the late Fr. John Hardon defines mutilation -- an action that deprives someone of part of their body or seriously disfigures it.

Ok, here's the situation ... suppose you and your friends decided to act crazy like the guys on "Jackass." Suppose you decided to give yourself a bloody nose or prick your finger with a needle or something. Would such things be mortally sinful? I mean, although it would be stupid to do them, it's not like y'all would be trying to destroy or seriously disfigure parts of your body. [/quote]
Probably not, because the result is not something serious.
However there are people who self mutilate because they are in extreme emotional pain, and need to have some sense of control. There are also people who do it to explore the limits of their bodies, hang themselves by hooks etc. It used to be these people were kept in insane asylums, now they are featured on reality shows. Then there are people who do extreme things in remorse for serious sin, like the people in the Philiphines that get crucified every year as a penance.
Intention is the key.

DancesforLove

I've tried and though about suicide before. I repented and have moved on, there is no more that I can say about it. It is not right, I was wrong for doing it but I don't necessarily blame the person doing it, some people just truly need help and they no other way to release pain, I see at as a cry for help.

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jul 23 2004, 01:32 PM'] Not sure why anyone would want to hurt themselves. I have never gone through anything like that and can't claim to understand it. But damaging the body would be sinful. And preposly doing it like picking the nose with a needle would be sinful in my mind. However if someone wants to hurt them selves I would say that it is less a sin than a mental disorder which needs real help. [/quote]
I heard that hurting yourself is a mortal sin. Your body is a temple of the holy spirit. To hurt yourself in someway like cutting or scarring would be "descrating" that temple.

Sometimes it can be hard though. Sometimes pain inside might be too much. For these situations I really have no clue if it would be one or not. I think that the person should get help and talk to someone. It is really serious.

To answer your question, the person doesn't feel the pain of the "hurting themselves." It is more of a release of emotion. It still does not make it right and they should really find some help though.

Edited by picchick

Tora-Musume

[quote name='Chris Zewe' date='Jul 23 2004, 02:24 PM'] From the Bible - A butchered quote:

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off."

[/quote]
I know I came in this topic too late, but better late than never. :D With this quote, does this mean that people that are diabetic who need to prick themselves to see how high their blood sugar is need to cut their hands off? :o What about doctor's and nurses? When doctor's operate and nurses prick you with needels and they do drow blood, would they need to cut their hands off too? That would mean almost everyone or ALL would be handless. Or I should read the rest of the post since this has probably been answered.

Tora,
NO!
Absolutely not. And.
Yes, read the entire thread to understand.
Something medically necessary is one thing, but causing yourself harm for the sake of emotional or physical exhileration is something completely different.

Hey and welcome to TACO City.

Peace.

RandomProddy

[quote name='picchick' date='Jul 24 2004, 05:41 AM'] I heard that hurting yourself is a mortal sin.  Your body is a temple of the holy spirit.  To hurt yourself in someway like cutting or scarring would be "descrating" that temple. 

Sometimes it can be hard though.  Sometimes pain inside might be too much.  For these situations I really have no clue if it would be one or not.  I think that the person should get help and talk to someone.  It is really serious.

To answer your question, the person doesn't feel the pain of the "hurting themselves."  It is more of a release of emotion.  It still does not make it right and they should really find some help though. [/quote]
Here's an interesting case: Aron Ralston.

"If you're asking yourself "who the hell is Aron Ralston," you'd better step back and re-evaluate your life right now. Ralston, the living legend, was hiking up a cliff in southern Utah (probably to do something manly like take a leak off of it), when a giant boulder fell on him, pinning his arm against the ground. Most people would have just died, but did he surrender his life to a mere giant life-threatening boulder? Hell no. He just kept getting angrier and angrier until he finally CUT OFF HIS ARM WITH A DULL KNIFE. This after he literally chiseled away at the bone so he could snap his arm off and free himself from underneath the rock. Yes, you read that correctly, he cut off his own arm with a dull pocket knife." (Maddox)

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3013203.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3013203.stm[/url]

Was mutilating his arm to save his life wrong? ;)

Edited by RandomProddy

RandomProddy

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 31 2004, 10:41 PM'] No because it was SAVING his life. [/quote]
Hence the wink in my post :)

O.K. here is a question. I thought about this before. What if a person just hurt himself but not harmfully. For example, instead of cutting theirselve they would pinch themselves or slap there hand. Do you think that that would be considered hurting yourself?

In the resources she provides at "Secret Shame(self-injury information and support)", Deb Martinson defines self-harm as deliberate physical harm to yourself to the extent of causing tissue damage(ie, breaking the skin, bruising, or leaving marks that last for more than an hour. However, for "milder" acts, the intent and repetitive nature of the act would need to be taken into account.

I remember that.

How exactly was he sinning?
Youd rather he had died?

God gave him the strength to do what he had to do.
Self preservation.

He sacrificed his arm for his life.
Rather that than the other way around.

Peace.

Edited by Quietfire

Indeed that. It's been a good two years since I last felt the need to hurt myself. Well, that's not true. I still feel the old urges every now and then, although not as seriously as when I was younger,but those urges kept me alive.

And keeping alive let me being a state that allowed for repentance.

Praise Him for ever... I'm home.

Praise God!