Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Kind Of Mass Do You Attend?


What kind of Mass do you attend?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I go to a Novus Ordo vernacular Mass. I've never been to a Latin Mass, but I'd really like to go to one some day. There is a church not too far away from me (St. Bernadette's in Glasgow) that has a non-schismatic Latin Mass a few times a month, I should check it out.

Guest alterboy
Posted

I've only been to Novus Ordo Masses. I really enjoy it when the dioceese is really conservative and follow the rubrics perfectly, but in other Novus Ordo Masses I've been to, there have been some abuses, and it can make the mass boring. If the Novus Ordo is done very reverently to the rubrics, and they have an organ in the Church, it's beautiful.

I've never been to a Tridentine Mass, but I would really like to see one. The closest place I can see a Tridentine Mass is about 4 hours away. I am intrigued by what I've read about the Tridentine Mass though, and my dad was an altar boy before Vatican II, so I've heard about the Tridentine Mass.

Posted

[quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Aug 3 2004, 05:36 PM'] They don't have Masses--they have "Divine Liturgies"  :D [/quote]
It wasn't a problem to put "Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy." Why would it be a problem to put "Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy" ?

The point remains that the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy is no less valid than the schismatic Latin rite Masses and should not be grouped with Protestant services. If EO Liturgies count as "none," so should schismatic liturgies of the SSPX, SSPV, and other "independent" groups.

CatholicCrusader
Posted

I know, I was trying to dodge the issue. Maybe Catholicguy can make a better response, but maybe the reason is that SSPX uses the same missal as FSSP; therefore, it is the same Mass. SSPV uses a missal from the 40s (the un-changed missal since Quo Primum). I guess since their missal was used for 400 years, that makes it different. I suppose it would have made sense to put eastern schismatic in its own group, since their Eucharist is valid, whereas, prots are not.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Aug 3 2004, 09:23 PM'] I know, I was trying to dodge the issue. Maybe Catholicguy can make a better response, but maybe the reason is that SSPX uses the same missal as FSSP; therefore, it is the same Mass. SSPV uses a missal from the 40s (the un-changed missal since Quo Primum). I guess since their missal was used for 400 years, that makes it different. I suppose it would have made sense to put eastern schismatic in its own group, since their Eucharist is valid, whereas, prots are not. [/quote]
The mass was altered after Quo Primum, more than once.

Posted

[quote name='thedude' date='Jul 31 2004, 03:07 PM'] Aye... The Nicene Creed. I wish my Church would actually say it on Sundays.

I can't wait to be able to drive to the other local Church. Are there any good Churches at state universities? I've yet to see one. [/quote]
The church at Illinois State University, St. Robert Bellarmine Newman Center, is pretty good as far as I can tell. It's a vernacular Novus Ordo mass, but during Lent some of the songs and the Eucharistic Prayer is said in Latin. I don't like my home parish (St. Mary Immaculate in Plainfield, IL) that much, though; I had to email them to get them to say the Nicene Creed at Sunday mass.

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted

We also had an entire Lenten season where you had to distribute the Eucharist the person behind you in line. They promised regular ministers to those who didn't want to participate, but didn't follow through. The only reason I can't go to the other Catholic Church is my dad doesn't like the priest and he drives my dad up the wall. If you want to visit my parish's website:
[url="http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/organizations/st_toms/"]http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/organizations/st_toms/[/url]

It links Pax Christi and a local peace organization. The peace organization links Michael Moore's website, Whitehouse.org (which indirectly suggests that George Bush is a religious zealot). See link below:
[url="http://www.whitehouse.org/dof/index.asp"]http://www.whitehouse.org/dof/index.asp[/url]
(Warning, the content of that page is strong.)

Please pray for my awful parish, if it really is a Catholic Church.

Posted

i go to the first one... peace out jessica

CatholicCrusader
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 4 2004, 07:39 PM'] The mass was altered after Quo Primum, more than once. [/quote]
Yes.. the first changes were to Holy Week in either 1950 or 1951. Therefore, the Mass was unchanged from Quo Primum, which was 400 years (roughly), and before that it was substantially the same since St. Gregory the Great.

  • 5 years later...
LouisvilleFan
Posted

Why isn't there multiple choice? Most of us obviously pray the Novus Ordo. I sometimes make the EF, but it's celebrated by a diocesan priest, not FSSP.

Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='31 May 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1275325718' post='2121223']
Why isn't there multiple choice? Most of us obviously pray the Novus Ordo. I sometimes make the EF, but it's celebrated by a diocesan priest, not FSSP.
[/quote]

I think this thread was made before it was possible to do multiple choice.

Posted

This poll doesn't attend to my special needs.

LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='zunshynn' date='31 May 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1275325950' post='2121227']
I think this thread was made before it was possible to do multiple choice.
[/quote]

It must predate the Novus Ordo then.

Catholic Fox
Posted

The only Latin Masses in my area are illicit.

Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='31 May 2010 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1275334543' post='2121382']
It must predate the Novus Ordo then.
[/quote]

I mean that the phorum or IP power board didn't used to allow the option of making polls multiple choice or visible results and that sort of thing.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

six-year-old thread, eh?

Vincent Vega
Posted

Need an option for "the kind with african masks, wimminpriests, yoga, liturgical dance, clowns, rainbow sashes, and pez communion."

Catholic Fox
Posted

I like Pez(tm), just not for Communion.

aalpha1989
Posted

I voted "Traditional Latin Mass (FSSP)" even though I attend an oratory of the Institute of Christ the King.

Posted

Interesting... I didn't know we had any active SSPXers around atm

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...