An Old School Catholic Message Board

Human Organs For Science Analysis

White Knight

White Knight

Is it right to donate your organs (Dead or Alive you being); for science or is it morally wrong to do it?

Tell you the truth, this is just my personal opinion, but when a person dies, let their body be in peace, I dont believe its right, to take organs from the dead to do research, It Voilates the peace of that body, I believe.

Now thats just my personal belief, but is it right? What does the Church think of Donation of Human organs for science? Rather that person who donated their body parts would be alive or dead.

This just doesn't include Stem Cell Research, but everything.

donoting Kidney's Lungs, Hearts, Large Intestants, Small Intestants, Bone Morrow, etc etc.

Edited by White Knight

I believe its wrong for that reason. But if you can save a life, and you have the choice of giving an organ, I agree thats a brave and honorable thing to do.

*As Long As Your Personal Life & Health Isnt Put In Serious Danger*

White Knight

Thats good to know.... I'm also against Stem Cell Reserach, but that quaifies as everything in this subject lol.

I think that it is alright to donate your organs to science. My grandpa has alzheimers. I hope that when he dies, my grandma decides to donate his brain so that people can find a cure for the disease. I do not believe that people should donate their organs to science if the thing science is studying will contribute to the evil of the world. For example, they are trying to decided if a certain contraceptive will harm other parts of the body.
Being alive is a different story. I think that you should not donate your healthy organs to science while you are alive. However, if were an unhealthy organ, like a cancerous pancreas or cancerous tumor then I think that would be alright considering that they would need to come out anyway. Also, it may lead to organ harvesting.

Any organ cannot be given without consent of the person. That is one of the reasons why stem cell research on babies is wrong.

However, not all stem cell research is wrong. Some stem cells are taken from umbilical cords. The blood from it is packed with valuable stem cells. Breast milk is another rich source.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 7 2004, 03:03 AM'] I dont agree with that, since it uses aborted babies. [/quote]
[b]Fetal[/b] Stem Cell Research is morally wrong. However, [b]Adult[/b] Stem Cell Research is starting to be used more little by little. It works, don't have to kill anyone.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 7 2004, 08:37 PM'] [b]Fetal[/b] Stem Cell Research is morally wrong. However, [b]Adult[/b] Stem Cell Research is starting to be used more little by little. It works, don't have to kill anyone. [/quote]
Exactly. You can get them from adults, breast milk, and umbilical cords.

Umbilical cords get thrown out after they are cut when the baby is born. I don't understand why they set up a collection to collect them instead of throwing them away.

One problem that scientists have with using adult stem cells is that they do not have the versatality of embryonic stem cells.

Embryonic stem cells are able to form any part of the body (after the other steps leading up to this point are done). Adult stem cells cannot. This still does not make it right.

Meg

Check [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum5&recnu=11&number=405086"]this[/url]out. It may help you.

Wait. Here is a question for everyone. It says that you cannot donate the brain. Then it says that the whole body can be donated for the advancement of science. So would it be permissable to donate my grandpa's brain for science?

Edited by picchick

White Knight

Thing is, with Adult Stem Cells can be infected, with all the health problems with adults these days, so they tend to lean towards Baby Stem Cell research, because its "less" harmful they few it, but its still morally wrong.

Gotta remember cells are living things and the longer the its been living, the shorter amount of time you have.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 8 2004, 12:07 PM'] [b]Fetal[/b] Stem Cell Research is morally wrong. However, [b]Adult[/b] Stem Cell Research is starting to be used more little by little. It works, don't have to kill anyone. [/quote]
I didnt know that. I just knew some research used aborted fetus'.

franciscanheart

That's because all the media is interested in is the part thats going to cause the most drama....

They have actually made some really amazing advances with the adult stem cells.

• 2 weeks later...