An Old School Catholic Message Board

Human Organs For Science Analysis

White Knight

Noel's angel

i think its quite a vast topic where there are many sub topics, so people dont really know which areas to talk about, because different areas raise different moral issues

Laudate_Dominum

what is donating something "for science"? If I knew precisely what science was I might be able to decide if it's a good cause or not. What is it's teleology? Yes, there are medical advancements and fancy technologies, but if the end of all this is technological anti-Christ, I don't know if I want to encourage it.

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 7 2004, 10:58 PM'] One problem that scientists have with using adult stem cells is that they do not have the versatality of embryonic stem cells.
[/quote]
Actually, that's not true. Scientists have found that adult stem cells can undifferentiate and redifferentiate (i.e become a different kind of cell). Initially, they did not think this was possible, but because of the restrictions on embryonic research, they discovered that adult stem cells are a lot more versatile than previously thought.

Also, adult stem cells are the only stem cells that have actually been used to treat [i]anything[/i]. They have been used to treat:
[quote]Autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, lupus, juvenile and other rheumatoid arthritis)

Stroke

Immunodeficiencies, including a new treatment for severe combined immune deficiency (when used with gene therapy)

Anemia

Epstein-Barr virus infection

Corneal damage (full vision restored in most patients treated in clinical trials)

Blood and liver diseases

Osteogenesis imperfecta.

Cancer treatment (in combination with chemotherapy and/or radiation):
Brain tumors
Retinoblastoma
Ovarian cancer
Solid tumors
Testicular cancer
Multiple myeloma, leukemias
Breast cancer
Neuroblastoma
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
Renal cell carcinoma

Cardiac repair after heart attack (clinical trials announced Spring 2001)

Type I diabetes (not stem cells as such, but pancreatic islet cells from donors)

Cartilage and bone damage [/quote]

Embryonic stem cells have yet to successfully treat anything.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 7 2004, 07:56 PM'] Breast milk is another rich source. [/quote]
A rich source of stem cells?

megamattman1

[quote]I dont believe its right, to take organs from the dead to do research, It Voilates the peace of that body, I believe.[/quote]
White Knight, would you use someone's donated organs if you needed them? Or since maybe you're asking about research, would you use the technology that arose from the use of the donated organs? I realize what you would do, or if you are inconsistent, does not make it right or wrong, I'm just curious.

[quote]Actually, that's not true. Scientists have found that adult stem cells can undifferentiate and redifferentiate (i.e become a different kind of cell). Initially, they did not think this was possible, but because of the restrictions on embryonic research, they discovered that adult stem cells are a lot more versatile than previously thought.[/quote]

Maybe they're more effective than previously thought, but I heard what he did that they are not as effective as embryonic. Are you saying that adult stem cells are just as effective as embryonic, or just that adult stem cells are more versatile than previously thought?

[quote]Embryonic stem cells have yet to successfully treat anything. [/quote]

This could be because the use of embryonic stem cells is limited.

One point being in this quote and the last is that you should be willing to acknowledge that you may be preventing the prevention or cure of diseases, but are willing to have it that way to stop embryonic cell use.

Edited by megamattman1

Scientists have been working with the embryonic stem cells of mice for [i]more than 20 years [/i]and have yet to accomplish anything. So no, I will not say that embryonic stem cells can cure things that adult stem cells cannot. In fact, a lot of scientists believe that not only is the use of adult stem cells rather than embryonic more acceptable morally, but overall a better option because they are easier to work with and have proven to be more effective both in mice and humans.

Statements from reputable scientists in medical and scientific journals and secular newspapers:

[url="http://www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/issues/bioethic/fact401.htm"]http://www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/issues/bioethic/fact401.htm[/url]

Statements regarding the practical problems that exist with embryonic stem cells:

[url="http://www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/issues/bioethic/stemcell/obstacles51004.htm"]http://www.nccbuscc.org/prolife/issues/bio...tacles51004.htm[/url]

CreepyCrawler

I don't think there is a problem with donating your body to 'science' as long as you're buried after you're done with it. Think about it: how would physicians be trained if people didn't donate their bodies to medical schools for dissection? I wouldn't want a surgeon to practice on a LIVE human in med school. As long as people's bodies are treated with respect, then I don't think it's a problem; actually, I find it commendable.

I am Catholic, and have been listed as an organ doner for many years. I feel It would be selfish to take my organs into the ground with me if they could be used to learn something medically useful for the long run, or to directly help someone who is still living and in need of a replacement part.

I think most of us have seen and understand the suffering that illness can cause. I find that knowlege highly motivating in my decision to offer that which I will never use again. Since I won't be needing them, it can hardly really even be regarded as a very selfless thing to do. I'd just feel guilty of wastefullness if I did otherwise.

Jim

cmotherofpirl

I used to be an organ donor, but I don't trust that the docters will let me die a natural death before removing my organs, so I have changed my mind.

CMother

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I've thought about it myself.

If George Bush needs a liver and I'm on the table at the same time, ---If I was aware of the events at hand, I'd be more than a bit worried.

But---I think this is a reflection of our times. The daily news leads us to a strong feeling of hopelessness. We've all become so jaded, an inclanation we just have to fight. Trust has become a rare trait but one we have to hang on to. Otherwise its "every man for himself."

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 24 2004, 08:30 AM'] A rich source of stem cells? [/quote]
Yeah, that's what I heard. Breast milk and umbilical cords are sources of stem cells.

toledo_jesus

I am an organ donor. I didn't think much about it when I got my license and signed up. I mean, I didn't think much about whether the Church had a position on anything back then.
I do not know if the Church has taught on organ donation. Depending on how long we are in the ground, there might not be much left of us anyway. I'd rather my guts went to save some person's life than just become worm food.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 26 2004, 11:10 AM'] Yeah, that's what I heard. Breast milk and umbilical cords are sources of stem cells. [/quote]
yep Picchick I heard the same thing from one of my professors