An Old School Catholic Message Board

Europe

Crusader_4

Hi Pham,

William here (aka Crusader_4) need some help nothing serious or anythign though. When we graduate me and some buds (Stef22 and some others) are planning to go to Europe. Except that we are short on $$$ can you guys provide me with some tips and cheap ways to save money in every aspect of the trip? The aweosme and great Vera has helped me already with the idea of monasterys staying in them opposed to hotels (does anyone have any specific expereince with this). Also what is common to do for meals/transportation (is rail good?). We are planning on doing prob Germany and Italy...any specific experience with any of the pham in either of these countries ( i have been to Italy myself before). Anything at all will be appreciated.

-Will

Thy Geekdom Come

I know a monastery in London, just near the airport where you can stay and I [i]might[/i] be able to get you very low rates on Marriott-owned hotels if you promise not to maltreat the rooms.

start in Paris on the Eurorail to Berlin, and then south to Rome, and hitup all the cities on the way! monasteries are a good idea, but the curfews smell of elderberries. hostels aren't all that bad.

Raphael you are aweomse and MSIGGA thanks...Raphael i would definatly take you up on the offer the only thing is that we wont be going to 2006 but we have to budget and plan if we are ever going to afford it the guys that are going are all strong Christians (although not all are CAtholics) and i can give you my greatest assurance rooms would NEVER be maltreated. however to make those plans for hotel rooms is still a lil far away i do very much appreciate the charity...what are the condidtions like in the monasteries and MSIGGA you mentioned curfews? Also generally waht prices are attached with the monasteries?

Edited by Crusader_4

Vera...u rock my socks!! :D :D anyone here stayed in one before? Also in Rome what are the general costs that we should worry about?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I know the people over in Europe aren't too fond of us US peeps...

When SHelly_freak gets back, she could probably help, she's in europe now!

Yea thats true but we will be carrying Canadian passports and it seems that it generally is better for us travelling (not knocking Americans).

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Aug 13 2004, 04:04 PM'] Yea thats true but we will be carrying Canadian passports and it seems that it generally is better for us travelling (not knocking Americans). [/quote]
yep...

Americans can be stupid, I know, I am one...

Stay at Youth Hostles... they're about $12 per night... and all over Europe.

Drawbacks...
Wear a under the clothes money belt
You share a room with others
Dorm type atmosphere

A friend of mine is backpacking across Europe right now, staying at youth hostles.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Curfews can be anywhere from 10:30pm to midnight ;) not cool since the sun doesn't set until almost 11pm and the Europe nightlife is awesome and really beautiful. Some hotels in smaller cities also have curfews; in Lourdes I was locked out twice.

Hostel prices range depending on what is included like room or hall showers, room or hall restrooms, heat/air, breakfast, etc...you really really need to get a good travel book and ask specific questions before making reservations, because European standards are not American at all. You can get some as low as 20euros/night up to 60, which is almost the same as a 2 star hotel. I recomend [u]Fromer's Guide[/u].

Monasteries and convents are cheaper, like 15-30 euros per night. The +'s are they are safe and quiet and clean and if you are interested might include meals. The minus is they have curfews, segregation of male and female rms (if this is an issue), and they will not hesitate to lock you out.

Remember at the moment 1 euro = 1.28 dollars :D

Okay i was also told that for monasterys one needs to work as well Vera is getting me more info along these lines...I have heard some nasty stories about Hostels...also for sight seeing do you guys reccomend tour guides or what? In germany what are must see sites? and in Italy (besides the obvisous i.e. Vatican, Colliseum). Also what do you expect to pay for plane tickets? Also how long is an appropriate length to travel through two countries in Europe? If anyone here has done a similar trip what were their total costs?

Edited by Crusader_4

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Aug 13 2004, 03:53 PM'] Vera...u rock my socks!! :D :D anyone here stayed in one before?  Also in Rome what are the general costs that we should worry about? [/quote]
Rome is really awesome. This biggest difference between Italy and the rest of Europe is that it is very poor in many areas and people will approach you for money. In Rome don't talk to gypsies, buy from panhandlers, and pretty much keep to your own party on the street. Girls should dress really modestly because if you look like Britney Spears on the street the men will call you out like a prostitutes. Etiquette is also important, be sure to dress respectfully if you plan on entering Italian churches because they will ask you to leave; in France it doesn't really matter.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Aug 13 2004, 04:51 PM'] Raphael you are aweomse and MSIGGA thanks...Raphael i would definatly take you up on the offer the only thing is that we wont be going to 2006 but we have to budget and plan if we are ever going to afford it the guys that are going are all strong Christians (although not all are CAtholics) and i can give you my greatest assurance rooms would NEVER be maltreated. however to make those plans for hotel rooms is still a lil far away i do very much appreciate the charity...what are the condidtions like in the monasteries and MSIGGA you mentioned curfews? Also generally waht prices are attached with the monasteries? [/quote]
Both my mother and my brother work for Marriott. As long as they are working there when you go, I might be able to get you some good discounts. I can't guarantee it because my mother and brother may not feel comfortable with it and not all Marriotts (but most of them) offer the discounts.

There is a Marriott very close to the Vatican.