An Old School Catholic Message Board

Europe

Crusader_4

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Aug 13 2004, 05:13 PM'] Rome is really awesome. This biggest difference between Italy and the rest of Europe is that it is very poor in many areas and people will approach you for money. In Rome don't talk to gypsies, buy from panhandlers, and pretty much keep to your own party on the street. Girls should dress really modestly because if you look like Britney Spears on the street the men will call you out like a prostitutes. Etiquette is also important, be sure to dress respectfully if you plan on entering Italian churches because they will ask you to leave; in France it doesn't really matter. [/quote]
Yeah...a little gypsy boy came up to my mother and put a board in front of her, right against her stomach, with all this merchandise on it. He was offering her all these deals with one hand and reaching underneath and grabbing money out of her pouch with his other hand.

She was a cop, so she caught him, but it was amusing.

I just got back a month ago, and the euro is really inflated right now, but that could change by the time you plan on leaving. Italy is less expensive than Germany, Spain, and France, but still plan on paying about $3 for a Pepsi ;)

MSIGGA i know a fair amount about italy but what about travel between Germany and Italy how does that work and is rail the best route?

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Aug 13 2004, 04:13 PM'] Rome is really awesome. This biggest difference between Italy and the rest of Europe is that it is very poor in many areas and people will approach you for money. In Rome don't talk to gypsies, buy from panhandlers, and pretty much keep to your own party on the street. Girls should dress really modestly because if you look like Britney Spears on the street the men will call you out like a prostitutes. Etiquette is also important, be sure to dress respectfully if you plan on entering Italian churches because they will ask you to leave; in France it doesn't really matter. [/quote]
That is all true and important to take into account.

[quote]Wear a under the clothes money belt[/quote]
Definitely! There are some that are made like belts, but they can be easily removed by pickpockets, especially in Rome. You should get the kind that you can hang around your neck and wear underneath your shirt. It's really hard for people to get at it, then. When in Rome, never put your wallet in your pockets. Don't put anything in your pockets, actually! It will get stolen!

Rome is a lot of fun, but you have to be prepared and always be careful. :)

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Aug 13 2004, 04:20 PM'] MSIGGA i know a fair amount about italy but what about travel between Germany and Italy how does that work and is rail the best route? [/quote]
This would be my best recommendation. I spent 6 weeks in Europe this summer and I did all my planning through STA Travel. This is their website: [url="http://www.statravel.com/"]http://www.statravel.com/[/url]

Use the EuroRail trains. They are the newest, fastest, and safest way to travel. Through STA, I would reccomend purchasing a EuroRail Youth Pass which is eligeable for all peeps who are 25 yrs old and younger and I think it costs $165 for 5 days, and you can add additional days for $25 a piece, but you need to buy all of this before leaving the US. It is a 2nd class ticket. If your train ride requires a reservation, you can make it while in Europe.

I'd also recommend getting an International Student ID card for $30. It carries travelers insurance and repatriation issurance as well, plus you can get discounts at some hostels and hotels.

As for particular routes, I don't know which cities you want to visit, but you can check out the routes here: [url="http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm"]http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm[/url]

MSIGGA you are awesome thank you very very much. Also could anyone tell me things in either Italy or Germany taht i should avoid as far as attractions go? also what are some reccomended Churchs and museums? Like i know the Uffizi is good but its expensive isnt it? Also we plan on going in January what will the weather be like in Germany and Italy?

Edited by Crusader_4

Oh, I have a ton of stuff that is worthwhile to see in Germany, as well as some things we went to that weren't worth it...*gets out travel diary*

Any clue as to where in Germany you'll be?

No clue but we were thinking about starting in Frankfurt because of the availability of airlines as a terminal city.

Yeah, whenever we go to Germany we "start" at Frankfurt too.

Any particular cities you'd like to visit? lol

Berlin? Hamburg?

You know what you will have to ask Stef22 about those he is kind of in charge of the germany portion of the trip i have Italy but i was thinking Munich maybe and Frankfurt and maybe Berlin whats Berlin like?

Berlin is a very busy city, has lots of history...very interesting to see how East and West Berlin are still sort of divided. But ask your friend where he wants to go.

North Germany will be freezing. :D

Neuschwanstein (Crazy Ludwig's Castle) is definitely worth it if you take the time...

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what type of attractions do you want to see while there. A little bit of everything? lol

No..keep asking questions it helps us plan stuff out Stef22 is right here beside me so this is him writting now:

Basically the main cities, Berlin and stuff, I'd want to go to Munich and Frankfurt but they speak low german, and is there stuff to see? Like I know there are a lot of Castles... any specific gigantic huge cool ones we can't miss? Thanks for your help!
-stef22

Thanks Vera. Have you been to cologne and the Church of the three wisemen?
-William

The Brandenburg Gate and the bombed-out Kaiser Wilhem Memorial Cathedral are pretty cool, but most of Berlin looks just like American cities ;) If you can, visit Dachau concentration camp. Munich still has some old Europe charm, and there are dozens of Castles that line the Rhine River. I know some guys who took a trip down the Rhine and stopped at all the castles and they all said it was really cool.

From past experience MSIGGA and others what is the total amount of money likely to spend in such an undertaking?