homeschoolmom Posted August 13, 2004 Posted August 13, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 13 2004, 06:52 PM'] That's great. I don't complain about it either. No point. It just makes everyone miserable anyway. And my post certianly isn't directed towards you. You accept that your husband does work very hard. [/quote] But you came right on here and started complaining... about women who complain about the physical nature of their jobs? I still not exactly sure who your beef is with... Is it Stay at home moms? Cause it sure came off that way to me... (Where was I sarcastic??)
Ash Wednesday Posted August 13, 2004 Posted August 13, 2004 If I marry my current beau (I probably will), I think on the physical labor index, we will be the same since we are both computer geeks. (He's a code geek, I'm the art geek.) "I scripted a flash presentation and sat at the computer for TWELVE hours today!" "That's NOTHING! I set up a database, and sat at mine for FOURTEEN!" :argue:
mom25angels Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 I, too, have a dh who has a physically demanding job....God Bless him for doing it, regardless. My job is just mentally and spiritually demanding...LOL. <please, don't whack your sister with that paper towel tube.......>
homeschoolmom Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='mom25angels' date='Aug 13 2004, 07:01 PM'] I, too, have a dh who has a physically demanding job....God Bless him for doing it, regardless. My job is just mentally and spiritually demanding...LOL. <please, don't whack your sister with that paper towel tube.......> [/quote] Yes, I would agree that being around children 24/7 is spiritually demanding... That's an excellent way to say it, m25a... and it's draining. <please stop "washing" the mirror with soft soap and toilet paper> <I don't know why the neighbor girl won't play with you... let's talk about it> <the sofa is not gymnatic equipement (repeat 500 times a day)> all day long...
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 just watchin my lil siblins for a couple hrs (meanin like 3-5 hrs) drives me crazy!! and i get so frustrated bc they nvr listen...but at least when one of my parents come back to watch them or finally wake up bc they got a half hr of sleep the nite b4...and nice me lets them sleep instead of keeping her sanity lol...at least i can go to my room and listen to music for an hour after the babysittin
mom25angels Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 13 2004, 07:06 PM'] <the sofa is not gymnatic equipement (repeat 500 times a day)> all day long... [/quote] at your house, too, hsmom!? But seriously, Adam, who is your beef with. Women in general who complain their job is more physically demanding or what? I'm a little confused.....but praying for you
StColette Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 (edited) hehe I'm fixing to give some mad props to my dad !! I mean how many men can honestly raise a teenage daughter by themself ? Plus run a cattle business, act as both mother and father, help out others when they need it, and still with all of this he manages to spend time with me!! My dad is one of the toughest guys I know !! He does so many things and is soooo busy it completely baffles me at how he manages it all. But then there is also my aunt, a great devout Catholic woman, she never married but she is head resp. therapist at a hospital and her job is completely grueling, she works 7 days a week even during holidays at all hours of the night, and she still manages to visit her nieces, nephews, and her sibs. oh wanted to add another great woman in this, my sister, who manages to raise 3 kids by herself while working full-time !! Edited August 14, 2004 by StColette
Colleen Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 13 2004, 07:06 PM'] <please stop "washing" the mirror with soft soap and toilet paper> <I don't know why the neighbor girl won't play with you... let's talk about it> <the sofa is not gymnatic equipement (repeat 500 times a day)> all day long... [/quote] Wow, that sounds like my house, too.
homeschoolmom Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 13 2004, 06:34 PM'] Construction work is fulfilling in that you get to see the fruit of your labor. But it is still tougher and more physically strenous work than raising children. [/quote] Yep, in construction (or any other job) you can see the fruits of your labor and gain satisfaction. And even if you don't do such a great job or it doesn't turn out the way it was supposed to, it's of no eternal consequences... ... on the other hand... Parenting is not like that... You may never see the fruits of your labor. Your children may go off and live secular lives... etc. And I will have to stand before GOD ALMIGHTY and explain my actions. (and if you think "shopping" is such a delightful experience, take three children with you... do this at least twice a week... please make sure that one of your children needs a nap [with three children, there is always one who needs a nap]... ) AND ANOTHER THING... you said that we have a choice in being parents. Well, the Church tells us that if we are married, we have a responsibility to be parents... end of conversation... <jumps off soapbox>
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 (edited) yes hsmom Edited August 14, 2004 by lifeteenchick527
Colleen Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 13 2004, 07:53 PM'] (and if you think "shopping" is such a delightful experience, take three children with you... do this at least twice a week... please make sure that one of your children needs a nap [with three children, there is always one who needs a nap]... ) [/quote] Or five children. . . . Who want to buy everything in sight . . . or like to hide in the racks. . . . Difficult work.
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 yesyes i agree to both hsmom and colleen!!
Brother Adam Posted August 14, 2004 Author Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 13 2004, 08:53 PM'] Yep, in construction (or any other job) you can see the fruits of your labor and gain satisfaction. And even if you don't do such a great job or it doesn't turn out the way it was supposed to, it's of no eternal consequences... ... on the other hand... Parenting is not like that... You may never see the fruits of your labor. Your children may go off and live secular lives... etc. And I will have to stand before GOD ALMIGHTY and explain my actions. (and if you think "shopping" is such a delightful experience, take three children with you... do this at least twice a week... please make sure that one of your children needs a nap [with three children, there is always one who needs a nap]... ) AND ANOTHER THING... you said that we have a choice in being parents. Well, the Church tells us that if we are married, we have a responsibility to be parents... end of conversation... <jumps off soapbox> [/quote] You had a choice in getting married. Now who is ranting. Leslie and angelmom, You are taking this WAAAYYY too seriously. Have fun with the rest of us.
Azriel Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 alright ... I was all set to let this thread cause me to fume ... but, I'm too calm with my baby on my shoulder. So here is my two cents - Intensive physical labor is demanding. Intensive emotional work (like parenting) is just as demanding. Ask a new mother who can't make it to the shower, can't make it to the bathroom alone ... wears the perfume "eau de baby puke" ... and if you are nursing ... you have someone attached to you every two hours like clockwork. So, .... in summary. Yeah, construction work is tough. It leaves callouses, and builds muscles. And I personally wouldn't want to do it. But being a Mom is tough too. Each job leaves a man or woman feeling exhausted at the end of the day. So which is tougher? Neither. Both are different - but equal (this brought to you by the Mom of a 7 mos old, who does work full time in a career separate from Mommyhood - often with her child at home, and who's husband's work is far from physically demanding)
Brother Adam Posted August 14, 2004 Author Posted August 14, 2004 [quote name='mom25angels' date='Aug 13 2004, 08:16 PM'] at your house, too, hsmom!? But seriously, Adam, who is your beef with. Women in general who complain their job is more physically demanding or what? I'm a little confused.....but praying for you [/quote] I'm have a need to debate fundamentalists and it isnt' being fulfilled so this is the first topic that came to mind. I hear about it all the time from woman who have little responsibility, do light part time work, and so on. "Like, uh, I broke a finger nail typing on the computer! I have it sooooo much tougher" Thank you for your prayers, but hopefully it is for the right intentions.
Ash Wednesday Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 Yes. A woman may not have to have work in a way that is necessarily as "physically" involved, but I believe we still work just as hard.
Sanvean Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 *raises eyebrow* I know many women, including myself, who work in extremely physical lines of work. Often times, in order to get any level of respect, pushing themselves far harder than their male counterparts need to. -Veronica
let_go_let_God Posted August 14, 2004 Posted August 14, 2004 I refuse to take sides, but I have something to say anyway. God qualifies the chosen, He does not choose the qualified. God gives us what we can handle and in what amounts we can handle it. He may give some men strenuous physical work and some women more emotional work, and even vica versa. It all depends on what you call tough. I mean, for a while untill I got used to my job as a cabin cleaner I thought it was tough, but then I learned how to do my job effectively. It is all in perspective. All I guess I can say is offer it up. Make your struggles a prayer. It works for me when I have to shovel the driveway in the middle of winter.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now