An Old School Catholic Message Board

'christian' Unity

MorphRC

Why do people keep saying we need to be united. Christianity is united, coz Christianity IS Catholicism. We arent a denomination or sect, we are Christianity, we are what it has always been. We are united.

I dont get that

Very true but I guess it is a play on words. When someone mentions that they are Christian they are usually referring to Protestantism. I guess our separated brethren needed to use a name that united all the separate denominations. Yes we are Christianity but these days the true word has a different meaning to most people. Just like most English speaking people call our Faith "Roman Catholicism" when it is actually only meant to be called "Catholicism". In general terms, when a lie is repeated often enough it becomes an accepted truth.

I was watching Bishop Sheen's show on TBN and at the end it always says a quote from Bishop Sheen about Christian Unity "It is not a unity of religion we seek but a union of religious people. We may not be able to meet in the same pew, but we can meet together on our knees as Christians." Bishop Sheen was an awesome person ^_^

White Knight

Well people are saying, Unite against the Forces of Darkness, and throw down labels, and Doctrine differences, heck, I believe it says somewhere in the Bible that [b]"The Church" is at War with the World, Flesh, and the Devil[/b] I wish I could find the verse for that, but I dunno where it is. but Yes, they want Christians to put aside their differences for now and Unite in Faith towards "[b]Jesus Christ[/b]", Our Savior & Lord, and go to WAR against the World.

Its kind of that simple, yet hard for us too. Lets not Label ourselves as, [b]Catholics & Protestants[/b] etc etc, but rather as [b]Believers in Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God, The Second member of the Holy Trinity, The King of Kings & Lord of Lords, The Prince of Peace, etc.[/b]

Thats why we sould unite.

Edited by White Knight

[quote]Its kind of that simple, yet hard for us too. Lets not Label ourselves as, Catholics & Protestants etc etc, but rather as Believers in Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God, The Second member of the Holy Trinity, The King of Kings & Lord of Lords, The Prince of Peace, etc.[/quote]

I truely understnad what you mean bro! I agree with you

But sometimes its hard to "unite" when most of the other christians think that we catholics are all going to hell!

And I refuse to give up my Marian beliefs for the sake of protestants! AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

Jesus OUR LORD AND SAVIOR...THE KING OF PEACE!

Mary MOTHER OF OUR LORD...QUEEN OF PEACE!

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 16 2004, 03:08 PM'] Well people are saying, Unite against the Forces of Darkness, and throw down labels, and Doctrine differences, heck, I believe it says somewhere in the Bible that [b]"The Church" is at War with the World, Flesh, and the Devil[/b] I wish I could find the verse for that, but I dunno where it is. but Yes, they want Christians to put aside their differences for now and Unite in Faith towards "[b]Jesus Christ[/b]", Our Savior & Lord, and go to WAR against the World.

Its kind of that simple, yet hard for us too. Lets not Label ourselves as, [b]Catholics & Protestants[/b] etc etc, but rather as [b]Believers in Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God, The Second member of the Holy Trinity, The King of Kings & Lord of Lords, The Prince of Peace, etc.[/b]

Thats why we sould unite. [/quote]
I agree White. But heres the problem.

The Catholic Church is historically, biblically and archaeologically proven to be the first Christian church and the first Church, with St. Peter as its head as mentioned in Matthew and all throughout Acts, Council of Jerusalem, example I.

Catholic was used in the first century, and St. Ignatius of Antioch was the first to put it in writing. Letter to the Syreamaens 110AD. From there its always been Catholic, with a undivided and unbroken chain in Apostolic Succession.

The only other Church that has that is the Orthodox, since they were the East of the Church, but still some Catholics refused to Schism and stay.

But you mentioned Protestants and etc. They were all man-made from the Catholic Church, then it got to a ridiculous level where Baptist went against Baptist and then Became Reformed Baptist, or Evangelical and that continued.

Also the word Catholic is more than just a Label, its a total description of God's Church.

-----------------

Catholicism wont give up its past, present and future for heretics and schismatics that finally say, maybe we done something wrong, now lets unite, but on our terms. Its on God's terms, and they are, In communion with the Pope, and the Catholic Church. Thats history, today and tomorrow.

Gb

White Knight

[quote]Also the word Catholic is more than just a Label, its a total description of God's Church.[/quote]

I was wondering where did the word Catholic come from? Not that I'm bashing or mocking or anything but I'm wondering.

White,
Catholic in greek means Katholos which means = Universal.
Essentially,
Catholic Church means= Universal Church.

As Morph said it was first coined or used by St. Ignatius of Antioch around 110 a.d. Approximately 80 years after the crucifixtion of Our Lord. If I am correct, St Ignatius was a disciple of Peter, the first pope. He would definitely have every right to use the word.
Although it very well may have been orally used before that, we have no proof.
That is the first time it was written down.
After that it became natural to use that word when describing the Church. Since in reality, the Church was and is Universal. Look at our members!

Our Universal (Catholic) Church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints.

So when someone says the Catholic Church. They are actually saying the Universal Church.

Pretty cool, huh?

History is so righteous.

Peace.

St. Ignatius was a disciple of Saint Peter and St Paul. The word could have been only used by him, but him being a disciple of Saint Peter and especially St. Paul a very learned man in all forms of addresses and languages, its highly probable that it was used by the apostles and other Christian communities.

Just that St. Ignatius was the first to put it down on writings that actually lasted through 250 years of occupation, genocide and war.

Edited by MorphRC

[quote]Why do people keep saying we need to be united. Christianity is united, coz Christianity IS Catholicism. [/quote]

Hmm and under the Catholic roof you have the Trads, progressives and those inbetween battling it out.

The problem with the Catholic church is it claims to hold a MONOPOLY over Christandom.

Its been interesting since being a Baptist and realizing what UNITY IN CHRIST really is about...

and its NOT about a BRAND name. ^_^