An Old School Catholic Message Board

'christian' Unity

MorphRC

[quote name='Budge' date='Aug 16 2004, 05:59 PM'] and its NOT about a BRAND name. ^_^ [/quote]
Then why did you point out that you were Baptist?

I left it off actually then edited in because question was asked.

When someone asks what religion I am.

I always say Christian first.

Its Catholic who say Catholic.

Are you a Christian? has been asked to Catholics,

and they have said...Im a Catholic in response.

[quote name='Budge' date='Aug 16 2004, 06:34 PM'] I left it off actually then edited in because question was asked.

and they have said...Im a Catholic in response. [/quote]
This does't satisfy my question. You speak against labels and then label yourself a Baptist.

Catholics have no problem with labels, so it's not our job to debunk the usage of them. Catholics are Catholics. You're right. Catholics means Universal. Also correct. Universal, as in belonging to the Universal Body of Christ.

It's an unfortunate reality in the world today that when one simply says Christian, it could mean anything from new-age Christianity, to David Koreshianism, to Jehovah Witness, to Baptist, to Mormon. Catholics say "Catholic" so that they are clear on belonging to the original Church of Christ.

White Knight

Term Christian, acually prenounced Christ-ian, means [b]Follower of Christ[/b], thats what a Christian is. It souldn't be labeled with names or demoninations.

I'm proud of being a Catholic so when someone asks me what religion I am, I say Catholic because if I was to reply Christian they would assume I was Protestant. I want people to know that I have the fullness of faith through the Church. Many Protestants tell me that as a Catholic I am not a Christian so the labelling thing goes both ways. If you were against labelling then there would be no name for all the denominations what so ever.

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Aug 16 2004, 12:35 PM'] Wasnt St Igantius also the Pope at the time? [/quote]
No, St. Ignatius, who was a disciple of the Apostles, was the bishop of Antioch, not of Rome.

He wrote a letter to the Roman Church, and in it he stated that the Church of Rome presides in love over all the Churches.

[quote name='Budge' date='Aug 16 2004, 03:59 PM']
Hmm and under the Catholic roof you have the Trads, progressives and those inbetween battling it out.

The problem with the Catholic church is it claims to hold a MONOPOLY over Christandom.

Its been interesting since being a Baptist and realizing what UNITY IN CHRIST really is about...

and its NOT about a BRAND name.  ^_^ [/quote]
Brand names are irrelevant. The one Church of Christ subsists in the Catholic Church alone, and a man is a Catholic only if he is in communion with the Pope.

The Church had to introduce a name to distinguish the true Christians from heretics in the early days as there were many heretics going around calling themselves Christians causing a lot of confusion. There had to be something (a "label") to distinguish the true Christians. It was obviously good enough for the early Christians so it should still be good enough today.

Justified Saint

By virtue of baptism we are all "Catholic" or "Christian" whatever you want to call it. By baptism we enter the covenant family even though there are quite a few rebellious children within this family. ;)

[quote name='Budge' date='Aug 16 2004, 06:34 PM'] I left it off actually then edited in because question was asked.

and they have said...Im a Catholic in response. [/quote]
only in this Protestant country where Catholics are the minority. In France and other "Catholic" countries it's switched, and Protestants worship in temples instead of churches.

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Aug 17 2004, 06:05 AM'] Wasnt St Igantius also the Pope at the time? [/quote]
Nope.

St. Clement I (88-97)

St. Evaristus (97-105)

St. Alexander I (105-115) << St. Ignatius Died 110AD I think.

[quote name='Budge' date='Aug 17 2004, 09:29 AM']
Hmm and under the Catholic roof you have the Trads, progressives and those inbetween battling it out.

The problem with the Catholic church is it claims to hold a MONOPOLY over Christandom.

Its been interesting since being a Baptist and realizing what UNITY IN CHRIST really is about...

and its NOT about a BRAND name. ^_^ [/quote]
You obviously didnt read my second post that clearly stated:

[b]Also the word Catholic is more than just a Label, its a total description of God's Church.[/b]

And Please Answers dUSt's questions, they make good points.

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 17 2004, 10:23 AM'] Term Christian, acually prenounced Christ-ian, means [b]Follower of Christ[/b], thats what a Christian is. It souldn't be labeled with names or demoninations. [/quote]
Bro. Your not looking beyond the word itself.

Catholic Christian in its name is different and has historical support behind it, its not just like some guy going, Im going to open 'The Apostolic Pax Church' Therefore I can call myself a apostolic paxism or something. Its more than a label, and also its more schismatics and heretics that have a problem with labels and brands as they put it.

Catholic Christian = A Christian that accords to the whole truth.
Katholos Christian [ Im not sure what the Greek is for Christian ]

Unlike a Protestant Christian

Protestant Christian = A Protesting / or / Protester Christian

Difference between being a Catholic Christian and calling yourself that than calling yourself a Protestant Christian or any other sect.