An Old School Catholic Message Board

"smart" Evil Vs. Stupid Evil?

BeenaBobba

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='Aug 17 2004, 03:09 AM'] A few nights ago, I was talking to one of my good friends on AIM. Earlier that day, I read an entry on his blog in which he said that, while he has serious problems with Kerry, his horror regarding Kerry doesn't compare to the horror he feels at the thought of Bush in office for another four years.

Now, my friend is Catholic -- Eastern Catholic, actually -- and is studying to become an Eastern Catholic priest. He was also a political science major (he's very smart, too, with an IQ of around 150). When I pointed out that Kerry supports more violence than Bush does, he said that it doesn't matter. He said that if someone supports any evil, his back is already turned away from God, so it doesn't matter how much evil he supports ("I don't agree with Thomas," he said). He went on to say that he supports Kerry because Kerry is smarter than Bush, and he then quoted someone who said that direct, intentional evil has aims and limits, whereas unintentional evil is boundless.

"Would you rather have an incompetent idiot or an intelligent wicked man in office?" he asked.

"An idiot, of course! After all, what good is intelligence if it's used for evil?" I replied.

I think his stance is incorrect. It presumes too much. Can we really know Bush's and Kerry's intentions? Heck, who are we to judge Kerry's intentions? Kerry could truly think he's doing the right thing. Who are we to judge Bush's intentions? We just can't. We just have the facts to work with, and the facts are that Bush will do less harm to the pro-life movement. Plus, someone like Stalin was intelligent and competent, but I'd have taken the less competent Nicholas II over Stalin any day of the week! (Say, have any of you seen [url="http://www.ppaction.org/ppvotes/choice_chick.html"]Planned Parenthood's new cartoon[/url], called "Choice Chick vs. The Judgebots"? Planned Parenthood favors Kerry, as they see Bush for the threat to the pro-"choice" movement that he is!)

What do y'all think about all of this?

God bless,

Jen [/quote]
Please bring him to the board.

Bush is not an idiot.

I have an IQ of 147 and would love to dialog with him.

Anyone who votes for Kerry and claims to be Catholic is a fool... and I stand by this statement.

The 4500 babies a day don't equate to evil?
The fact that kerry wants to make us pay for abortions world wide is not evil?
The fact that kerry wants to legalize gay marriage is not evil?

This guy has some serious conscience and logic development problems and should seek professional help.

God Bless,
ironmonk