An Old School Catholic Message Board

"this Land" Political Spoof Thread.

White Knight

Ash Wednesday

The point is, it's my understanding that if you are doing a parody of something, copyright infringement is difficult to justify.

I think both camps suing is just a rumor. They had a blurb on it in People magazine -- apparently spokesmen from both camps thought it was funny.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Aug 17 2004, 07:31 PM'] The point is, it's my understanding that if you are doing a parody of something, copyright infringement is difficult to justify. [/quote]
Difficult, perhaps, but not impossible. It is still technically a copyright violation.

Ash Wednesday

It's a grey area -- I did a bit of brushing up -- Weird Al gets artist permission to avoid any legal wrangling -- win or lose the case, who wants to deal with court costs?

Actually what I *did* wonder about copyright infringement would be the use of the photos of Bush's face, and Kerry's face, et cetera.

In particular, if they are using them on t-shirts to be sold, along with the use of the Heinz ketchup bottle. Now that, raises an eyebrow.

White Knight

Well its like this.

The guys who made this spoof, used the song mildi file without permission therefore thats chargable, but they aren't making any profit off this spoof, so thats in a way a bigger counter, now if they were, that would be a different story.

But what they sould have done in the first place was, if they weren't going to ask for permission for the song's useage, they sould have aleast given them credit for the song anyway.