An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Cow...

Thy Geekdom Come

Because it's all a vast left-wing conspiracy. :rolleyes: Come on, you should know that. :P

j/k

That's how they make their money. And they love to watch the crestfallen faces when they ring it all up, I think.

That reminds me, I should to my college's bookstore at 8 on Monday morning. Nobody's going to be there! I'll probably be the first one, just like last year. I know I'll still be charged an insane amount, though.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Aug 18 2004, 07:00 PM'] Because it doesn't cost that little to make. [/quote]
Oh, it does...my mother used to work for Prentice Hall...

Even our High School books were insanely expensive....

I don;t even want to imagine college.

It's the greedy Americans, I tell you :P jk

I feel your pain Micah

last semester I spent over $600 for my books my Zoology book was $118 :rolleyes: I can't wait to see what my books will cost this semester

Someone stole my Spanish book last year and I had to replace it. So that was $100 for the new one + about $50 for the used one that was stolen. I think I got $36 back when I sold it. :(

When I got my Bio 106 text last year it was $120. FOR ONE BOOK! LOL!

The next class I took was Lit 241. That cost me a whooping $8. LOL! Four plays by William Shakesphere. Cheapest book class RVC offered (the clerk told me so, hehe).

[quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 18 2004, 06:02 PM'] Oh, it does...my mother used to work for Prentice Hall... [/quote]
Perhaps the actual material costs aren't that high, but you're not buying blank paper ... you're paying for the person (people) who wrote the information that went in the book, for the people who copy-edited that information, for the photographers who took the pictures, for the person who laid out the pages and designed the look of the book, for the people who operated the machines that printed the book, for the warehouse workers who moved the books around, for the shippers to haul the books to your bookstore, for the stocker in the store to unload and shelve the books, for the cashier to ring up your purchase, for someone to clean the store, for someone to manage the store, and for someone to field your complaints when your bill tops $500.

:P

homeschoolmom

Don't worry, Raph... you can resell them at 5 to 10 cents on the dollar...

My college let us check textbooks out of the textbook library and return them at the end of the semester... <sigh> no "professional library" for me!!

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Aug 18 2004, 06:37 PM'] Perhaps the actual material costs aren't that high, but you're not buying blank paper ... you're paying for the person (people) who wrote the information that went in the book, for the people who copy-edited that information, for the photographers who took the pictures, for the person who laid out the pages and designed the look of the book, for the people who operated the machines that printed the book, for the warehouse workers who moved the books around, for the shippers to haul the books to your bookstore, for the stocker in the store to unload and shelve the books, for the cashier to ring up your purchase, for someone to clean the store, for someone to manage the store, and for someone to field your complaints when your bill tops $500.

:P [/quote]
Yeh the overhead is pretty high. I can tell you that from picking the range at work. That bucket of golf balls isn't 4 dollars a use after the 1st 5 or so uses. At that point the balls are paid for. You are than paying for the guy who has to come down once or twice a day to pick the range and for the guy who mows it once a week and for the gas in the vechiles used and for the power used by the macnhine and so forth.

[quote name='curtins' date='Aug 18 2004, 07:04 PM'] i 100% agree with colleen- its a vast left wing conspiracy- and im not kidding- im serious [/quote]
I would say you are nuts. But I like cashews. So it all depends on what type of nut.

I have heard you can get them dirt cheap from half dot com and ebay. But last I knew Micah was avoiding them. But auction sites like that work.