An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Cow...

Thy Geekdom Come

I bought all my books second hand, i don't think i was supposed too but the guy i bought them off of still had the shrink wrap on some of them so they weren't used that much. Together to bye them new i would have had to pay $787.56...... Drum roll please I paid a wopping $100 for 8 text books :D

Getting them online is alot cheaper. You can usually find out which books you'll need ahead of time if you ask the bookstore. Then check online for them and you can have them shipped to you right away. That's what I do. Even with the cost of shipping, it's usually quite a bit cheaper than going to my college bookstore.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Carrie' date='Aug 19 2004, 09:29 AM'] Getting them online is alot cheaper. You can usually find out which books you'll need ahead of time if you ask the bookstore. Then check online for them and you can have them shipped to you right away. That's what I do. Even with the cost of shipping, it's usually quite a bit cheaper than going to my college bookstore. [/quote]
Yep, this is what RussianGirl does...

buy.com
half.com
bestbookbuys.com

BullnaChinaShop

Some books aren't cheap no matter where you try and get them. I had some grad level Engineering books that I couldn't find for under $100 anywhere. The less people that use a book the more expensive it will be. The more units sold the lower the unit cost will be.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Aug 18 2004, 08:51 PM'] I would say you are nuts. But I like cashews. So it all depends on what type of nut.

I have heard you can get them dirt cheap from half dot com and ebay. But last I knew Micah was avoiding them. But auction sites like that work. [/quote]
Wait...that gave me a brilliant thought!

"Mmmmm...cashews..." :drool:

let_go_let_God

I only had to buy 2 books for this semester. I'm borrowing for two of my classes. my 2 books cost me $125. My chem book was $100 and my english was $25. It's a little book...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think I've spent about $300-400 on about 15 textbooks I think... Those aren't exact numbers, and I just order my 3 eng lish books today! I'm leaving on Wed. to move in! They better get here FAST! But textbook prices are pretty high, and I had to buy 2 textbooks new for my Freshman Honors class (It's political science disguised) and that class alone has 5 or 6 books...

Kilroy the Ninja

Dude I feel your pain. I'm only taking two classes this semester and I have six books. Fortunately it only came to $125 but I bought used books. Since I still can't really afford the $125 I went home and researched the web and found five of my books - also used - cheaper WITH shipping included. So I ordered the five (one of my books is so new there are NO used books) and even with shipping I'm still saving about $51. I'm taking the five I originally bought back to the campus bookstore before the full-refund time frame runs out. Do a little research, be sure to use the ISBN number and pay attention to the shipping time frame and costs and you might come out better. I found all of my books at Amazon.com (yeah, who knew), Half.com and Abebooks.com.

littleflower+JMJ

very smart kilroy!

what i hate how every year they come out with a new edition so alot of books you can't sell back your old books cuz each year they add on......whatever! its the same info just with a different cover! :rolleyes:

Kilroy the Ninja

Don John and I came to the realization some time ago that it wasn't even worth selling your books back to the campus bookstores because you're NEVER going to get back anything close to what you spent. Furthermore, it's probably a good idea to keep books that relate to your potential future career. But if you really want to get rid of some books that you don't really need (and who needs more junk taking up space) see about selling them at Amazon.com and Half.com. Most of the books I bought were from individual sellers who simply paid a small fee to list their books on the bigger websites. I think one of the books I bought was listed by a bookstore up north who probably only had one copy of a book and wanted to unload it. I assure you these people are getting more money for their books than they would have if they had sold them back to the bookstores. And I'm definately getting them for cheaper than if I had bought them there.

My daughter starts college this fall. She got a job at the book store, partly because of the 20% discount, even on the books. She could have bought her books (used with discount) for $425. We bought them on-line, used, for $200 +/-. New would have been well over $600. We made a few mistakes on the books, but with her "inside knowledge" this is what we learned.

Shop on-line as soon as possible.
Get the ISBN #.
[b]Triple check [/b]the title and edition/version number.
Make sure you buy from a place that let's you return stuff if you buy the wrong edition.
Sell your books back to the campus book store (to help the market grow. Something is better than nothing!)

It seems that for the second semester, people will use bulletin boards to sell books and USF has a flea market to sell books.