An Old School Catholic Message Board

Black Popes?

hopeful1

ok, i know this topic was brought up a loooooong time ago, but i just got into an arguement with a friend about wether or not there was (if any) black popes. Does anyone know, or remember the old thread?

ask your question in the Q and A. Basically, though, the answer is no, there is not nor never was "black popes" in the sense your friend means.

RandomProddy

[quote name='hopeful1' date='Aug 19 2004, 03:44 AM'] ok, i know this topic was brought up a loooooong time ago, but i just got into an arguement with a friend about wether or not there was (if any) black popes. Does anyone know, or remember the old thread? [/quote]
I'm not sure about black popes but what is for sure is not all the popes were white. Peter was Middle-eastern for example.

black popes:
Pope St. Victor 189-199 AD
Pope St. Militiades 311-314 AD
Pope St. Gelasius 492-496 AD
Pope Arinze Sometime in the future AD ;)

Pax

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 18 2004, 10:02 PM']black popes:
Pope St. Victor 189-199 AD
Pope St. Militiades 311-314 AD
Pope St. Gelasius 492-496 AD
Pope Arinze Sometime in the future AD ;)

Pax[/quote]
I believe these were early [i]African[/i] popes, though not necessarily black. I suspect they were all from North Africa (within the Roman Empire), but I don't know what they'd look like. Maybe...:bishop:

PS--Cardinal Arinze is a man who makes me proud to be Catholic!

I don't think we know for sure. This place says that there are three popes that Aloysius brought up;

[url="http://www.holyangels.com/black.htm"]http://www.holyangels.com/black.htm[/url]

and then here it says not yet;

[url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/questions/q024.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/questions/q024.htm[/url]

So I dont know...I personally hope that the next pope is from Africa.

Edited by Cure of Ars

OMG hopeful 1! What a coincidence! My friend and I were having the same exact argument today! In fact, I just signed on to start this thread! LOL - that's scary.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Aug 18 2004, 11:23 PM'] I believe these were early [i]African[/i] popes, though not necessarily black. I suspect they were all from North Africa (within the Roman Empire), but I don't know what they'd look like. Maybe...:bishop:

PS--Cardinal Arinze is a man who makes me proud to be Catholic! [/quote]
i think its likely that [b]at least[/b] one of them was black. there definetely have been brown Popes though!

Cardinal Arinze is cool

Thy Geekdom Come

At least one of them was probably black, since Ethiopia was well known to the Romans, is very black in color, and has been devoutly Catholic since the early Church.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='dUSt' date='Aug 19 2004, 02:01 PM'] Are you talking about black popes like Snoop Dogg black or are you talking about black popes like evil anti-Christ popes? [/quote]
I think we're talking about black popes like Gary Coleman.

Of course the other meaning for "black pope" is the Father General of the Society of Jesus. In that case, St. Ignatius of Loyola was the first black pope. :rolling:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Aug 19 2004, 02:23 PM'] I thought the Ethiopian Church broke away with the Council of Chaceldon. [/quote]
Some part of it, maybe, but Ethiopia, I believe, is devoutly Catholic now and the Church always had a strong standing there (because the Muslims keep trying to conquer them but they seem to be protected very well)...

theculturewarrior

Oh, okay. :) I was under the impression that the Oriental Orthodox were the majority group in Ethiopia, with an Eastern Catholic minority. :)