An Old School Catholic Message Board

Educating Children Of Homosexual Parents

p0lar_bear

Should a Catholic school accept a child whose parents are practicing homosexuals?

Please support your answer and please, let's keep this clean.

such a good question in today's world... please someone correct me if i'm in disagreement with the Church, but my gut reaction would be yes. We have never had a "visit the sins of the parents on the children" mentality and honestly, the best place to learn the truth of human sexuality and the theology of the body would be in a catholic school (well it should, if its an orthodox school <_< ). i know that homosexual parents can have their children baptized in the Church because the kids aren't the ones doing anything wrong and therefore, should not be denied the graces of God through the sacraments (although i guess you could argue that the ability of the parents to raise their children in the faith would be inpaired.. i just remember reading an article about a homosexual male couple adopting triplets and having them baptized in KY)
so yes, my answer to the question is yes, to get back on topic :P

toledo_jesus

Considering that most Catholic schools don't exclusively hire Catholic teachers, I wouldn't see a problem with it. However, what they learn at home will be counter to what they learn at school.

Edited by toledo_jesus

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:20 PM'] Considering that most Catholic schools don't exclusively hire Catholic teachers, I wouldn't see a problem with it. However, what they learn at home will be counter to what they learn at school. [/quote]
that's true but shouldn't the school be working to counter the counter? maybe developing programs to meet this very need?

toledo_jesus

but then why would a homosexual send their children to a school that will tell them their daddies are wrong? Unless they are self-laothing yet continue to engage in their sin...which I suppose is understandable.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:23 PM'] but then why would a homosexual send their children to a school that will tell them their daddies are wrong? Unless they are self-laothing yet continue to engage in their sin...which I suppose is understandable. [/quote]
good point! that actually is my first question; ie. is this actually a problem?

[quote name='kateri05' date='Aug 26 2004, 03:28 PM'] good point! that actually is my first question; ie. is this actually a problem? [/quote]
Actually, yes. There is one school in California that refused to enroll a girl whose mother is living with her partner and they are raising the daughter as mothers. There was a big ta-do when she was denied. I've heard of at least one other case (in this case, they accepted the child).

You know, I'm not entirely sure.

On one hand, it could be the source of scandal, particularly if in accepting the child the school gives the impression that the parents' lifestyle is acceptable.

On the other hand, if a school doesn't accept the children of homosexual parents, should they then not accept children whose parents are divorced and remarried without the benefit of an annulment or whose parents use contraception?

If the child is accepted, it needs to be made clear that the child will be taught that homosexual relationships are wrong. There can be no compromise on that, with the parents or the child.

I agree and I disagree ,the child shouldnt be not allowed a good Catholic education but on the other hand by enrolling the child it shows that the diocese supports the parents sinful lifetstyle .I dont know ,Im two sided on this issue.Actually it would all depend on what the Church says about this ,Id rather follow their opinion.

toledo_jesus

I agree that if a child is accepted the parents should have full knowledge that their children will be taught Catholic precepts.
In that sense, I do feel it would be wrong to deny admittance to people who actually sought a Catholic education. Do you suppose a profession of faith would be appropriate, to weed out the people who aren't serious about giving their children this type of education?

Edited by toledo_jesus

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:44 PM'] You know, I'm not entirely sure.

On one hand, it could be the source of scandal, particularly if in accepting the child the school gives the impression that the parents' lifestyle is acceptable.

On the other hand, if a school doesn't accept the children of homosexual parents, should they then not accept children whose parents are divorced and remarried without the benefit of an annulment or whose parents use contraception?

If the child is accepted, it needs to be made clear that the child will be taught that homosexual relationships are wrong. There can be no compromise on that, with the parents or the child. [/quote]
its certainly possible to accept them withOUT giving the impression of acceptance of lifestyle. i think its harder than the issue of contraceptive using parents which is unknowable unless volunteered and than the divorced parents issue because it is, in a sense, correctable, if an anullment is saught.
i truly think some kind of program/philosophy needs to be devised for educators to handle this issue, because the children need to be taught that what their parents are doing is wrong but how to love them anyways. how to do that, well, ya got me!

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Aug 26 2004, 01:47 PM'] Actually it would all depend on what the Church says about this ,Id rather follow their opinion. [/quote]
me too :D anyone know what it is?

I think that the school should accept the child with the "love the person, hate the sin" philosphy. It is a tough situation though because like some of you said some people may see it as a "the Church is o.k.ing their life style" thing.

However, I don't think they should turn the kid away seeing that it isn't the kid's fault.