An Old School Catholic Message Board

Educating Children Of Homosexual Parents

p0lar_bear

toledo_jesus

what if you have two mothers or two fathers? which one do you honor?

sorry, that was cheeky. But does that commandment mean that you don't confront your parents when they are engaged in something that bad?

Edited by toledo_jesus

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I don't think anyone should be denied admittance to a Catholic school because of their parents. Afterall, the education may change the way they think.

Possible questions---

How do you explain the situation to the other children? For example, if Johnny has two mothers, how do you tell your child they can't go over to Johnny's to play?

Also, do you allow the two mothers to take their turn with parent projects (such as bringing snacks or helping in the classroom, as some schools do)?

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Aug 26 2004, 03:27 PM'] Possible questions---

How do you explain the situation to the other children? For example, if Johnny has two mothers, how do you tell your child they can't go over to Johnny's to play?

Also, do you allow the two mothers to take their turn with parent projects (such as bringing snacks or helping in the classroom, as some schools do)? [/quote]
thats a rough one.. in terms of homosexual "parents" participating in classrooms, it should only be permitted to the extent that they in no way advertise or promote their lifestyle, which is sinful according to catholic teaching. i dont know if that is possible and if not, unfortunately, i guess they shouldn't be allowed IN the classroom (sending in snacks would be different).

its so hard because the kids just end up so confused in any situation, even if they DONT go to catholic school.

These may seem like silly stupid questions to other people but they aren't to me. What will happen in the classroom when these questions occur?

What these questions come from a young child? Like in kidergarten through 3 grade? How do you explain this to the child at his level? Younger kids are not mature enough for this topic on this type of level. How do you explain the whole situation in the light of morality without going over their heads and without condemning the child?

And if you were to say, "Well every child has a mommy and a daddy." (because that is the only way a child can be produced) what do you say for that child?

[quote]How do you explain the situation to the other children?[/quote]
Exactly.
An Example happening that I made up.
[quote]Also, do you allow the two mothers to take their turn with parent projects (such as bringing snacks or helping in the classroom, as some schools do)? [/quote]

"Tomorrow is Tommy's Mom's turn to make a snack."-teacher
"Which mom should I have make the snack?"-tommy
kids bicker "hehehe too moms??" "freak" so on
What is the teacher suppose to say?
"Children that is not right. It is wrong to make fun of Tommy."
o.k. "But Tommy has two mommies. He doesn't have a dad like we do. Why is that Miss. Timberal?"
"Well..."
What is she going to say? How do explain it?
My old school use to have a daddy-daughter dance.
Kimmy has two daddies. What now?

You'll have to admit. Kids are going to make fun of the kid. How do you prevent it?
Kateri is right with limiting the involvment as to not advertise. But how would a school do that without bringing discrimination things into the picture.

This is a tough sad situation.

I think the child should be allowed in. You have the "My mom is living with her boyfriend" or "My parents aren't married" in Catholic Schools and the teachers (that I have seen) point out the sin and emphasize "Love the sinner, Hate the sin" part, but are clear that the Church teaches this is wrong. teaching kids, kids will always go home and say, "Mom you said a bad word, you need to go to confession" or "Mom, drinking beer is a sin and you make God very sad" or "Dad, why are you and Mom not married?" and correcting thier parents......maybe they will be little agents of conversion when they come home and say, "Mom, living with mom is a sin." I don't think the teachers will be saying it everyday.......but I think it is possible to make a child feel safe in a classroom if the family is living a gay lifestyle. Call me an optimist or just naive, but I think it's possible. The parents can be in a Catholic schoo where it is condemned, or in a public school where it is celebrated. (some catholic schools are questionable, I know)

I think having a head of lice is worse for kids so young.......and if kids can handle the head of lice (my kids can) without making them seem like the hunchback of Notre Dame, then parents who aren't perfect will be a breeze. I don't think we should downplay the importance of teaching the Catholic faith to young children, and kids pick up quick. Teaching it probably without pinpointing the child,(like teaching chastity without pinpointing a certain teen) is to me, very similar. I think it's just important to remember that young children won't dwell on things as adults do. Teach the beliefs of the Catholic faith should hold your class enviroment together.....as well as telling them that they are sinning as well if they make fun of someone...... I truly hope that a child will never call someone in the classroom freak, and usually, they do for lesser things, they are in trouble.....a classroom family enviroment is very important if the child like the one stated, is in your classroom.

Those are just my random thoughts on this...... :cyclops:
not as randoms as L_D's though.... :P

Andrew Bobola

Absolutely not.
Simply put, to accept a student with homosexual parents, would be, in essence, to accept homosexuality.
An example, when school were segregated, a white school accepting black children was in essence making blacks and whites equal, which is obviously what they did not want to do.
So, accpeting a student with homosexual parents would be sending a message to others that the Catholic school accepted homosexuals. People would make the logical conclusions that since the school accepts, then so does the church.

[quote name='Andrew Bobola' date='Aug 27 2004, 03:18 AM'] Absolutely not.
Simply put, to accept a student with homosexual parents, would be, in essence, to accept homosexuality.
An example, when school were segregated, a white school accepting black children was in essence making blacks and whites equal, which is obviously what they did not want to do.
So, accpeting a student with homosexual parents would be sending a message to others that the Catholic school accepted homosexuals. People would make the logical conclusions that since the school accepts, then so does the church. [/quote]
OK then, by that same reasoning, a Catholic school should not accept a child who is not Catholic, a child whose parents are divorced and remarried or are not married at all, a child of a single unwed mother, a child whose parents use contraception, or possibly a child whose parents support a pro-abortion candidate. Where do you draw the line.

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Aug 27 2004, 09:47 AM'] OK then, by that same reasoning, a Catholic school should not accept a child who is not Catholic, a child whose parents are divorced and remarried or are not married at all, a child of a single unwed mother, a child whose parents use contraception, or possibly a child whose parents support a pro-abortion candidate. Where do you draw the line. [/quote]
exactly, you can't do it that way, it won't work. Its not charitable because its not loving the children.

[/QUOTE]teaching kids, kids will always go home and say, "Mom you said a bad word, you need to go to confession" or "Mom, drinking beer is a sin and you make God very sad" or "Dad, why are you and Mom not married?" and correcting thier parents[QUOTE]
in regards to this, how does this work when kids are too small to understand WHY something is wrong, ie. issues of sexual morality for little children like in picchick's example? sexuality is over their heads and this issue forces teachers/educators to destroy the innocence of little ones about this issue. kids don't NEED to know about homosexuality at such a young age; it is only confusing.

ps. since when is drinking beer a sin? :P

Guest JeffCR07

[quote]Absolutely not.
So, accpeting a student with homosexual parents would be sending a message to others that the Catholic school accepted homosexuals. People would make the logical conclusions that since the school accepts, then so does the church. [/quote]

The above assertion is totally ridiculous, as the two situations are not comparable at all. If you truly wish to use a racial example, then it would be proper to use the question of whether or not a southern school would admit the child of a black mother and a white father. In this case, a great many of the schools did admit the child, because in their twisted, sick logic, the child was not accountable for his "black" blood, and, for the sake of his "white" blood, should be educated.

Still, in my opinion, it is an entirely worthless example for the discussion.

Now, I've been thinking over the issue, and I think the best case [i]against[/i] allowing the children into the school is the argument that it will cause scandal among members of the laity that do not have fully formed consciences.

However, I do not think this suffices as a reason to refuse accepting the child. It seems to me that scandal as such can only exist if it is not adequately responded to. I understand that the idea of explaining to a classroom full of children that the lifestyle of little jimmy's parents is wrong may not be the most appealing thing in the world. But if the children ask a difficult question, they deserve an answer.

For me, it is a relatively simple problem: Do you forsake the right education of one in favor of postponing the exposure of others to the wickedness of the world?

I argue no, for if they are truly being educated in the faith, then there is nothing to fear for them, and there is much to gain by accepting the one. Moreover, it seems to me that the only thing to "fear" is the prospect of having to explain a "sensitive" subject to young children, but even this is simply standing up and teaching what is right, thus fulfilling the role of the teacher.

- Your Brother In Christ, Jeff

Edited by JeffCR07

[quote name='Andrew Bobola' date='Aug 27 2004, 01:18 AM'] Absolutely not.
No. The school should accept the child. One main reason. So that he can learn the truth of the matter. If the child were to go to another school such as a public school then the kid may not have the good morals taught to him.

If the child came out of the Catholic School armed with the truth he might be able to go home and evangelize and spread the truth. Plus I agree with alot of the people on here. It is not kids fault that his parents are homosexuals.

Andrew Bobola

I think that y'all are too idealistic.
No one has spoken to the subject of what kind of message it will send.
Obviously if a single unwed mother sends her child to a good Catholic school she is also accepting the rules of the school, wherein also accepting the rules of the church.
I think that someone attending a Catholic school should be Catholic, but obvious problems arise.
If a child's parents are continually breaking the rules and standards of the church, while calling themselves praticing Catholics, sets a horrible example to the public.
I believe that the school should screen it's students, I know I'm gonna catch guff for it, but that's what I think.
This is what is boils down to, by accepting a child whose parents are openyl homosexual, and therefore openly dissenting from teaching, is, in essence, an acceptance of homosexuality.